Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I'm new to the forum, my Gastric Sleeve surgery is literally many months away. But it never hurts to start learning now. I'm in a program where I have to try to lose on my own with a low carb diet they provided for 3 months. If I'm successful, I move to the next phase which is 6 - 9 weeks of a different lower calorie diet, psych evals, medical testing, doctor approvals, and physical therapy. If all of that goes well, then I move to the surgery phase. I have a choice of bypass or sleeve, but I'm choosing sleeve because I will have a copay and the sleeve is cheaper, also its less risk. I hope it will be the right choice because I need something that is truly going to last, but my understanding is if I do what I'm told and follow the plan future stretching will be minimum. In the midst of all of this I'm also in a financial crisis that I won't go into detail on but getting the money for the copay is going to be a stretch. But I have plans and will follow through with Gods help. I need this surgery, I'm on 15 medications a day. I'm 55, at this rate seeing 65 don't seem to have very good odds. I have tried every thing, even losing up to 100 pounds before... but I always gain it back plus more... typical yo yo. I'm praying this will be the missing tool I need to help me keep it off for good this time. Anyway the program I'm in will pay my copay back if I keep the weight off for 3 years and stay in their program following their appointments, etc. during that time. Also they provide all sort of support through out the 3 years so its a really good plan. But that is all I can really say about it at this time as it a clinical trial. I'm hoping that getting the copay back at the end of 3 years will help motivate me to keep the weight off as well. Anyway I'm looking forward to meeting and chatting as I go through this journey.

If you want to do it, you will make it happen. All good things come to those who wait. The time will fly by and before you know it your surgery date will be here.

You took the first steps and have the good sense to realize you need some support. Maybe having a financial investment will help with your success. We all have the same ultimate goal, but we are all individuals with different health issues, different doctors, and even different countries! I am usually more of a reader than a poster, but I am trying to get out there a little more because I think it will help me be successful and accountable. Hope to see your continued posts.

Welcome! I'm 53 and wish I'd done this several years ago when a doctor first recommended it. Start saving - even just loose change adds up over months!

FWIW - here's my story. I was 55 when I had my surgery in August 2016. At my highest recorded weight I was 271.5, but looking at pictures, I think I was probably over 300 at my heaviest. I am 5'3". I'm bone on bone in both knees and had terrible asthma. I did this in part to have my knees replaced because my surgeon wanted my BMI under 35 when I had my knees done to reduce the risk of complications.

I had my sleeve done and now, almost 2 years later, I'm down 110 pounds, I fence (as in en garde) 5 hours a week. My ortho doesn't think I'll need to have my knees done until I'm in my late 60s. I work with a personal trainer and I can deadlift more than my bodyweight (my personal record is 180 pounds - I currently weigh 162). My body fat is down to 31%, which for a post-menopausal woman is excellent, but I'm working toward 26% - when I hit 26, I'll schedule my plastics for my abdomen. (If I had it done now - which my plastics guy would do - I would get to the 26% easily.

It is never too late. It is worth every bit. It is work, but I have never felt better in my life and in my youth I was an Olympic caliber athlete. It is a long road. Do it one day at a time.

You've got this. We've got your back.

Good on you to do your research, exact reason I searched for this place. Folks here are great on info giving and the support you will get is awesome. The program your involved with sounds like a win. You seem like your motivated to stick with it so it will work out fine. Keep sharing your experience with it, I'm sure it will help others. Good luck on your journey.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:18 PM, Diana_in_Philly said:

FWIW - here's my story. I was 55 when I had my surgery in August 2016. At my highest recorded weight I was 271.5, but looking at pictures, I think I was probably over 300 at my heaviest. I am 5'3". I'm bone on bone in both knees and had terrible asthma. I did this in part to have my knees replaced because my surgeon wanted my BMI under 35 when I had my knees done to reduce the risk of complications.

I had my sleeve done and now, almost 2 years later, I'm down 110 pounds, I fence (as in en garde) 5 hours a week. My ortho doesn't think I'll need to have my knees done until I'm in my late 60s. I work with a personal trainer and I can deadlift more than my bodyweight (my personal record is 180 pounds - I currently weigh 162). My body fat is down to 31%, which for a post-menopausal woman is excellent, but I'm working toward 26% - when I hit 26, I'll schedule my plastics for my abdomen. (If I had it done now - which my plastics guy would do - I would get to the 26% easily.

It is never too late. It is worth every bit. It is work, but I have never felt better in my life and in my youth I was an Olympic caliber athlete. It is a long road. Do it one day at a time.

You've got this. We've got your back.

Oh my gosh, talk about inspiration! Yes I read your post and my mouth dropped open, that is frigging amazing results! One can only hope I can be as successful, thank you for sharing your journey!

Thank you everyone! Your words are truly in encouraging. I plan to learn as much as I can and I'm so glad I found this site!