Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

Indio I never said anything about them being owned by a foreign country. You need to go back and read what what I said not what you think I said. If I remember right they are owned by a company based out of Minnesota or Michigan (some state in that area anyhow).

And corporate might like Vets, local stores have proven otherwise. I stand by that claim until area stores change, and prove otherwise.

I would take the same stand, Pix. I have two sons in the military. We live in a rural, VERY small community. 153 of our boys were in Iraq (one of my sons included) for a year. 150 came back. If one of our local stores refused to set up a stand to benefit a vet organization, I would not patronize that place of business. In fact, if they did not cater to Girl Scouts, church groups, etc., I would frown upon that also.

The time is getting closer to having your DH home. I say a little prayer every time I see a post of yours which reminds me of the fact that he is over there. A word of advice...please take advantage of the reintragation programs that are offered. They are such a help. God Bless you and your family.

Gwen - see my post above yours - This is not True - Target is not owned by a Foreign Company...

Indio,

sorry I was posting and my coputer is slow so I didn't see your post until after I posted. Ok so they are not foreign owned, but as others have said they too have locally owned ones that do not allow support of the vets. sorry but that is my experience. thanks for doing the snoops thing to prove that corporate Target does in their way support the vets. they need to bring it down to the local level so that the average person sees that they are being pro-vets.

If one of our local stores refused to set up a stand to benefit a vet organization, I would not patronize that place of business. In fact, if they did not cater to Girl Scouts, church groups, etc., I would frown upon that also.

I have "mix" feelings on this. I grew up in NY, and I had the kind of mum that kept change in her pockets who delved out loose change to those who needed it - or those who didn't (how were we to know).

Sometimes, I'm just as giving if my heart strings are pulled properly - it annoys my husband when we're at a stop light and I see a sign "Homeless Vet" and pass out a buck or 2, he is just as giving - but does not like pandering & is put off...

What does bother me, is I can no longer shop at my local: Krogger/Walmart on a Saturday because it's become a frenzy of "causes" wanting support. I wish each store would provide a list of those who need donations & I will gladly write a check - I don't like parents who push their kids to hit every person walking out of a store to buy a box of Cookies. I don't eat cookies - and I hate to say no....but it's just gotten out of hand. No I dont' want to buy a baked good from someone I don't know to support a church I don't attend.

I think everyone has the right to spend their money where they want & also support the cause they want, I really just don't like when it interfers w/me buying some milk & in a hurry.

Apples2 this is our *counts* sixth deployment *sigh* I could teach those classes they offer for the reintegration stuff.

Pix,

I think we can all end this thread on everything including shopping by saying we wish you and your DH well and thank him especially since he's out there protecting our country, brandyII.

Apples2 this is our *counts* sixth deployment *sigh* I could teach those classes they offer for the reintegration stuff.

So you have the routine down by now. I am sure it has become just part of your life (with the added worry). We all hope that our soldiers get credit for what they do for our country but I just want to let you know that I truly admire you wives and mothers that hold it all together while they are away.

Personally, I love Target and Kmart. Well, I'm a fan of any place that isn't Wal-Mart. I DESPISE those stores.

And yeah, Target doesn't have anything against vets. They don't let ANYONE solicit for money outside their stores, not even the Salvation Army Santas. If they make an exception for one group, they'd have to let all groups do it. And then the Targets would turn into Wal-Mart, with every group imaginable asking for a hand out.

My heart pours out to you and any other person with a loved one fighting for us. We should all hope and pray for their safe return!

God Bless America and our soldiers!

~C

I certainly don't want this to become any kind of political debate but at least Hillary and Obama keep saying they want to bring our troops home.

I sure hope this doesn't bring on a republican/democrat flurry of posters.

I just want our troops home where they belong!

I will gladly write a check - I don't like parents who push their kids to hit every person walking out of a store to buy a box of Cookies.

I think everyone has the right to spend their money where they want & also support the cause they want, I really just don't like when it interfers w/me buying some milk & in a hurry.

Isn't that the truth. I get really annoyed at those little kids that come to my door selling things. You hate to say no to them when they are trying to get to camp or whatever. At the same time, I would rather donate because I want to, rather than because I feel guilty when some cute little kid is starring at me and I have to say no.

Now that you mention it, I think it's great that Target doesn't allow soliciting in front of their stores. I hate saying no to any of those

people in front of any stores too.

Pix, my stepson was in the airforce for 4 years. Then a year ago June he made the move to the army. He, his wife and 18 month old son were sent over to Germany in November. He left on his first deployment for Iraq about 4 weeks ago. He will be there for 15 months. It just kills me thinking about the things he is going to miss out on with his little boy while he is gone. My daughter-in-law is having a tough time adjusting as well. I feel for you.

I too get tired of being bombarded when I try to buy a loaf of bread or some milk or something. And, lets face it, how many of us know neighbors or coworkers whose kids are in girl scouts. Probably a bunch of us. I always buy from them.

During this last round of girl scouts hanging out in front of Publix, I was leaving and a girl asked me politely if I would like to buy some Cookies. I told her no thank you, I had bought plenty from a lady I work with already. The mother then made a snide comment to me and wanted to know what was wrong with me that I wasn't willing to make a "charitable donation" to a worthy cause. Wrong person to say that to. First off, I had already said I did buy cookies from people I work with. Secondly, I work in the development office for a non-profit. So, I proceeded to tell her that if I am making a charitable donation, where is my acknowledgement letter so I can write it off on my taxes. I told her I would buy more cookies if she would provide me with a receipt indicating the fair market value of the cookies versus what my "donation" for the cookies is so I can determine if what I pay is greater than the fair market value, therefore making it possible for me to claim it as a charitable donation on my taxes. She got very annoyed with me then and left me alone. Yes, I probably had severe PMS at that time as well, I admit it.

During this last round of girl scouts hanging out in front of Publix, I was leaving and a girl asked me politely if I would like to buy some Cookies. I told her no thank you, I had bought plenty from a lady I work with already. The mother then made a snide comment to me and wanted to know what was wrong with me that I wasn't willing to make a "charitable donation" to a worthy cause. Wrong person to say that to. First off, I had already said I did buy cookies from people I work with. Secondly, I work in the development office for a non-profit. So, I proceeded to tell her that if I am making a charitable donation, where is my acknowledgement letter so I can write it off on my taxes. I told her I would buy more cookies if she would provide me with a receipt indicating the fair market value of the cookies versus what my "donation" for the cookies is so I can determine if what I pay is greater than the fair market value, therefore making it possible for me to claim it as a charitable donation on my taxes. She got very annoyed with me then and left me alone. Yes, I probably had severe PMS at that time as well, I admit it.

:rolleyes::lol::tt1: LOL Susan that is perfect, I will definitely have to remember that when those vulchers descend on me next year. I have been buying from the same people (daughter/granddaughters (now)) since as far back as I can remember. BUT I send them the money, and they send the cookies off to the homeless shelter.

My girlfriend and I started a trend cause I don't like having that much sweets around so she and I bought a case of cookies and had them sent to the shelter instead. So every year, the homeless shelter gets a few cases of girl scout cookies to brighten days for a bit at least. She and I have long since gone our separate ways but we both still buy the same case (well two as I buy one and she buys one) and make sure it is sent over to the shelter.

Its sad, but one of these days we know our friends reletives wont be in that troop anymore, and its possible someone unscrupulous will resell the case instead of bringing it down. But for now, we both know and love the family in charge of the troop (even if we could care less anymore about each other) and we know that the shelter gets the cases so we are happy.

Pix, my stepson was in the airforce for 4 years. Then a year ago June he made the move to the army. He, his wife and 18 month old son were sent over to Germany in November. He left on his first deployment for Iraq about 4 weeks ago. He will be there for 15 months. It just kills me thinking about the things he is going to miss out on with his little boy while he is gone. My daughter-in-law is having a tough time adjusting as well. I feel for you.

I too get tired of being bombarded when I try to buy a loaf of bread or some milk or something. And, lets face it, how many of us know neighbors or coworkers whose kids are in girl scouts. Probably a bunch of us. I always buy from them.

Oh my, that's just... how dare she? You were very polite and letting the young girl know you already bought many cookies. No one should be made to feel that you cannot tell a child "no". I was told that all the time as a kid, and at the time it was disheartening, but I am now glad for that for so many reasons. What is that mother teaching her daughter with a remark like that?

Good for you for standing up to that!!

Isn't that the truth. I get really annoyed at those little kids that come to my door selling things. You hate to say no to them when they are trying to get to camp or whatever. At the same time, I would rather donate because I want to, rather than because I feel guilty when some cute little kid is starring at me and I have to say no.

Now that you mention it, I think it's great that Target doesn't allow soliciting in front of their stores. I hate saying no to any of those

people in front of any stores too.

Denise - I think you are safe - I think most of us do want the troops home so don't think you have to worry about getting flamed :rolleyes: or starting a whole nother debate.

I totally agree with you I am glad Target doesn't allow solications infront of their stores - I wish all stores had the same policy - If I want to donate to a cause I will - I don't like the begging and to me that's almost what it is.. When I walk by pple asking for donations I tell them I give at church and our local shelter.

Susan OMW - I love it !!!