Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

I have always been afraid that Walmart is going to put our Kmart out of business. K Mart was smart to buy Sears. Now that they carry Craftsman tools, they are more popular here. They are stupid though in that they

quit putting the ads in the paper. People go to buy things on sale. It still makes me so mad that their parking lot is empty. I think Walmart here is so busy because people can buy everything at once. It is kind

of nice not to have to go grocery shopping separately anymore. I am going to think twice after seeing that documentary though.

My daughter was involved in a class action law suit against Walmart because they actually make people work after their shifts end without

overtime. They get all these tax breaks but the little guys that own

mom and pop stores get no tax breaks at all. I wish everyone could

see that documentary.

I do love Kohls too but we don't have one here. They put a Kohls in

where the KMart closed where my dad lives, so I go there when I go

to visit him in Arizona which I will be doing next week.

Then I will be stuck on the library computers again for over 2 weeks

and that's hard when I have a LBT addiction!

Athinnerdenise, looked like a thinner nerd before, sorry!

I've always have heard bad things about Walmart, it's not like I've ever heard "good" things. They stopped one coming into one of our towns about halfway between two WalMarts. They didn't want the traffic and lose the small town atmosphere etc... I don't know why they closed our KMart but none of the others in the towns nearby have closed.

My daughter used to work at Target but wasn't too thrilled there either and now works at a bookstore and is happier. She had a pitiful discount anyway and that's what I wanted! It was always creepy going into a WalMart when they'd have those worker group meetings in the store and do cheers. I'd hate to work at a place like that.

I think WalMart is constantly being sued but they make so much money it never seems to hurt them. I still prefer the grocery store meats and veg over WalMarts. I don't even find them to be cheaper when it comes to paper goods or pet food or laundry supplies so I usually only go there once in a blue moon!

You'll probably get a Kohl's in your area eventually. We're in a small town and we have one. I don't go that much, it's usually when you don't have one that you want to go to one. Well have a good trip, I know you'll have to get your LBT fix when you're in AZ God knows what would happen if you missed a day right? brandyII.

Edited by brandyII

I don't really ever shop at Walmart (to far away to make it a bargain shopping experiance for me) or Kmart (the one here is scary) (sears bought out kmart not the other way around) I try to avoid target (they don't like Vets) So mainly for me its Fred Meyers and Amazon.. LOL

is anyone else being sent to post #1 when clicking bullet for going to last post on this thread?

Pix,

What's the Vet thing with Target, I think I remember something in the news but can't recall now. Now I know where your husband is possibly and why you have a count down for him. Hope it flies by quickly for you! Hopefully answering this question doesn't start another big fight on LBT again, lol! I live out where they train the nuke sub peeps. brandyII

Oh and I don't have that store you mentioned here. I do use Amazon a lot though.

Edited by brandyII

Pix,

What's the Vet thing with Target, I think I remember something in the news but can't recall now. Now I know where your husband is possibly and why you have a count down for him. Hope it flies by quickly for you! Hopefully answering this question doesn't start another big fight on LBT again, lol! I live out where they train the nuke sub peeps. brandyII

Oh and I don't have that store you mentioned here. I do use Amazon a lot though.

How about we change the title of this thread to - I wish people would check Snopes out before they believe all the crap they get in Emails

Target is NOT AGAINST VETS.

I thought you might find the following article from snopes.com interesting: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Pix,

I am not sure all the ins and outs of it but my husband and I refuse to shop there because of their stand on vets. they refuse to support them even in the simplest way of letting them set up their stands for the donations with the poppy flowers. someone told me at one point that it is because Target is owned by a foreign company....who knows but if they won't help support the vets I won't support their business

I am not sure all the ins and outs of it but my husband and I refuse to shop there because of their stand on vets. they refuse to support them even in the simplest way of letting them set up their stands for the donations with the poppy flowers. someone told me at one point that it is because Target is owned by a foreign company....who knows but if they won't help support the vets I won't support their business

Gwen - see my post above yours - This is not True - Target is not owned by a Foreign Company...

Actually Indio that particular thing is not what I am talking about, its the local Target here that I am talking about. This is a military community and they wont allow the Vets selling the poppy flowers (the fake lapel pins) while most other big box stores not only welcome them but get things set up for them. The Kmart (the scary one) will even allow them to sit inside on bad weather days. But Target wont even allow them a bit of sidewalk when they try to sell them.

So, no I will NOT shop in this local target. My dad spent 22yrs in, my Grandfather is a Korean Vet, and many more relatives spent time in WWII all the way to now, including my husband. They will not see a dime of my money at this local target. Which is a shame, they have such cute clothes.

So, while up the cooperate ladder they might support Vets on a general role, there individual stores are responsible for day to day things like telling the Salvation Army no more kettles (the online angel program not withstanding) and not letting local vets sell poppy lapels is enough for me to not shop at this store.

So yeah, I do know what I am talking about.

Edited by Pix

Actually Indio that particular thing is not what I am talking about, its the local Target here that I am talking about. This is a military community and they wont allow the Vets selling the poppy flowers (the fake lapel pins) while most other big box stores not only welcome them but get things set up for them. The Kmart (the scary one) will even allow them to sit inside on bad weather days. But Target wont even allow them a bit of sidewalk when they try to sell them.

So, no I will NOT shop in this local target. My dad spent 22yrs in, my Grandfather is a Korean Vet, and many more relatives spent time in WWII all the way to now, including my husband. They will not see a dime of my money at this local target. Which is a shame, they have such cute clothes.

So, while up the cooperate ladder they might support Vets on a general role, there individual stores are responsible for day to day things like telling the Salvation Army no more kettles (the online angel program not withstanding) and not letting local vets sell poppy lapels is enough for me to not shop at this store.

So yeah, I do know what I am talking about.

Never said you didn't know what you were talking about - You said "Target" in general - also that you heard that it was owned by a foreign company. Which it isn't.

I don't think Target in general lets anyone sell outside their door front (so truly its not selective discrimation)- which for me is fine - I personally don't like every tom dick & harry asking for donations and now a days you don't know who is for real or just saying that they are from a certain organization.

I too have family in the military- - I bleed Red White & Blue - Wishing your DH a safe return.

We were all just basically chit chatting about our local stores etc... and didn't really mean to get into a big fight about them.

We were all just basically chit chatting about our local stores etc... and didn't really mean to get into a big fight about them.

Who's fighting??? A statement was made to the effect that Target didn't like Vets - they might even be owned by a Foreign Corp - All I was stating that that was not true - That's it.

I get emails all the time - the Mothers of the Golden Star don't like Hilary etc - is all B.S. - That's why I always check Snopes - Again I am not fighting with anyone - I just wanted it known that Target doesn't have anything against the veterans.

Indio I never said anything about them being owned by a foreign country. You need to go back and read what what I said not what you think I said. If I remember right they are owned by a company based out of Minnesota or Michigan (some state in that area anyhow).

And corporate might like Vets, local stores have proven otherwise. I stand by that claim until area stores change, and prove otherwise.

Brandy you didn't, and I am not fighting.

I would love to shop at Walmart though, but the drive just doesn't equate the bargain I would get if it was closer. And the new one closer to me is still to new to have any real stock yet.

My ex-husband worked at a car dealership across the street from a Wal-Mart. There was always a "homeless" man standing in front of the Super Wal-Mart. He always had up a sign that said something to the effect of "homeless vet, hungry, will work for food." As we were leaving there one Saturday, I started to give the man some canned goods and my husband made me stop. He then pulled over and showed me the ditch behind where the man always stands. It was full of food and other items people had given him in an effort to help him. Apparently, he was actually making a pretty good living standing there and only kept the money people gave him and trashed the food.

Based on that, and another story I heard about a group of local people that claimed to be part of the Shriner's collecting money at Christmas, and it turned out they were pocketing the money, I no longer ever give to anyone standing outside of a storefront. I only give to charities I know are legitimate, via mail.