Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

Hi KC! **waving wildly**

HI SLIM (waving frantically back)

Very slow this morning. How is everyone doing? It is very dreary here today. It is raining. The air is cool. I was planning to clean out DS's bedroom, but I can't work up the gumption just yet. He is going to be very upset, but something has to give.

So, I don't know if I have mentioned that MIL has apparently come into some money. I am not exactly sure where it came from (I have ideas), but not sure. Well, I saw her yesterday. I guess since she no longer needs me, she feels that she no longer has to pretend to be nice. It is too funny. She barely spoke. She didn't smile. Before, she would try to hug me, yesterday...not so much. I told DH about it. He said that she must be on her high horse since she has some money. She is running through the money pretty quickly. I have a feeling she will be broke again pretty darn soon. I just thought that was so funny though. She hasn't been calling like she had been. She is back to only calling DH's cell phone instead of calling the house. Not that I mind, but I do find it extremely funny that she is back to her old self now that she no longer needs something from me. Now if she would just move...

Slim - I can't believe they aren't teaching cursive! I need to take a poll of my friends' children to see if that's the case anywhere else. To me, that's nuts! I just have this awful picture of children growing up to sign for their house or car as "SNT" in printed caps like they're in kindergarten.

That reminds me DD wanted to make her signature. She saw me scribble stuff on papers and wanted her own. I swear, every piece of paper we owned had her name written all over it. She wanted to get it right.

I came up with my scribble when I had to sign for stuff all day...I used to try and make it nice like DD, but after a gazillion times, it got to the point where the delivery person would say, "Um, how do you say that?" lol

I've also said that I feel like we do our children a disservice letting them graduate HS without a class on living life. To clarify, I think they should mandate taking a class where one learns:

1. how to balance a checking account,

2. how to buy and negotiate for a car, house, etc,

3. how awful credit cards are and how quickly one can get into unmanageable debt,

4. how the local, state, and federal tax system works (ie how much gets taken out per check), and

5. how filing taxes works (ie deductions etc).

Hecks yeah! I'd take the course for 2 becuase I can't do that! I have no negotiation skills whatsoever.

Oh, and sign me up for 3 & 4.

I'm sure there are other great topics that I'm not coming up with at 1am but that's my list for now! I have an MBA and am a finance nerd and knew very little about taxes until well into my mid 30's. I rented an apartment for way too long and missed out on the benefits of decreasing one's taxable income through home ownership. Don't get me wrong...renting definitely has its place. However, I could've helped my financial situation at certain times in my life through owning a condo or house.

Sorry, the numbers nerd took over again, huh? My two cents; I'll hush now!!! :thumbup:

NERD!!!

It is a scary thought that these are our future CEOs that we are talking about here. How is the kid that isn't taught how to balance a check book going to handle the running of a fortune 500 company?

HA! DH and I are wondering about the company we work for now. They make all the decisions and choices and "us peons" wonder WTF?

Now if she would just move...

I have moving boxes that we never used...

Just sayin - I'll be there in a heartbeat to move her sorry butt to the North Pole!

I have moving boxes that we never used...

Just sayin - I'll be there in a heartbeat to move her sorry butt to the North Pole!

:thumbup::lol::lol:Thank you. I think I am going to need help moving her... and a shovel... J/K (I think:rolleyes:)

I've also said that I feel like we do our children a disservice letting them graduate HS without a class on living life. To clarify, I think they should mandate taking a class where one learns:

1. how to balance a checking account,

2. how to buy and negotiate for a car, house, etc,

3. how awful credit cards are and how quickly one can get into unmanageable debt,

4. how the local, state, and federal tax system works (ie how much gets taken out per check), and

5. how filing taxes works (ie deductions etc).

I'm sure there are other great topics that I'm not coming up with at 1am but that's my list for now! I have an MBA and am a finance nerd and knew very little about taxes until well into my mid 30's. I rented an apartment for way too long and missed out on the benefits of decreasing one's taxable income through home ownership. Don't get me wrong...renting definitely has its place. However, I could've helped my financial situation at certain times in my life through owning a condo or house.

Sorry, the numbers nerd took over again, huh? My two cents; I'll hush now!!! :thumbup:

Amen Sista! I totally agree!

PJTP: My calves and thighs are so sore from the hike yesterday! I think I will just do the elliptical today! :thumbup:

PJTP...WOW! I was off Friday and Saturday because I was working on my house...y'all went to TOWN posting! I had to read through at least 6 pages...

Catching up...

Donating clothes - Lulu, if they are business-appropriate, see if there is a branch of "Dress for Success" in your area - I bet they'd love to have them!

Husbands and power tools - bad combination in some cases, especially if they are like my H, who starts projects but sometimes doesn't finish them, or wants an adoring audience to watch him while he works. :huh2:

That blog name - keep chins up - in VERY bad taste :drool:

ColoradoChick - HIYA! Haven't seen you here in a while!

Fanny - congrats on the scale victory! :):w00t:

Gotta try that MegaRed fish oil capsule at costco - the others are just way too big for me to try and swallow (Plain should be showing up any time now...)

Happy Birthday to Lulu's DH! :thumbup:

Love gardening - but my schedule doesn't allow me as much time as I'd like. I try to keep the weeds under control, but that's about it. :laugh:Prefer perennials to annuals - don't like to plant new stuff every year...

House cleaning - did this recently because I hosted a fundraiser for a friend running for City Council - the event was a hit, my house is decluttered and really clean, and so far, we're keeping up with it! :w00t:

On kids and school - I think the teacher sending the 5 year old home with sad faces on his reports should at a minimum be 'reeducated' in how to provide feedback. I like the idea about meeting with the teacher and the parents, though...I had a problem with a teacher in 5th grade - I got great feedback from everyone else but this woman. Turns out she and I just did not mesh personality-wise, plus she was harder on all the kids of color (black, hispanic) in the classroom. It was a private school - I guess she felt we didn't belong. After a conversation with my mom (a quiet one...deadly quiet) things got much better. While my mom went to bat for me, she would NOT have stood for me disobeying a teacher or sassing a teacher. Teachers were right behind God and parents in my house - you didn't disrespect the big 3!

The school voice mail menu - too funny - bet a lot of schools would love to do that!

Krtork - I agree completely with your take on the school situation and your suggestion.

Personal Finance class - I agree that it should be re-instated. So many kids don't know a single solitary thing about the subject! My DD learned a hard lesson when she got control of her back account at age 16 and blew through all of her savings in less than 4 months. She was supposed to be saving for a car, senior year stuff, etc. She did not get the car, and her senior year activities were severly curtailed because she had blown the money and we weren't replacing it. Tough lesson, but necessary.

I've been wicked busy this weekend - working on the MBR remodel - will post pics in another message, since I KNOW this one has gotten really LONG! :thumbup:

It is a scary thought that these are our future CEOs that we are talking about here. How is the kid that isn't taught how to balance a check book going to handle the running of a fortune 500 company?

They don't. Many have their secretaries do all the work, and many others simply fail due to overspending, etc., and then get sucked up into the government beast. I personally feel it's planned. A dumb (or reliant) public is a controllable one.

So, I don't know if I have mentioned that MIL has apparently come into some money. I am not exactly sure where it came from (I have ideas), but not sure. Well, I saw her yesterday. I guess since she no longer needs me, she feels that she no longer has to pretend to be nice. It is too funny. She barely spoke. She didn't smile. Before, she would try to hug me, yesterday...not so much. I told DH about it. He said that she must be on her high horse since she has some money. She is running through the money pretty quickly. I have a feeling she will be broke again pretty darn soon. I just thought that was so funny though. She hasn't been calling like she had been. She is back to only calling DH's cell phone instead of calling the house. Not that I mind, but I do find it extremely funny that she is back to her old self now that she no longer needs something from me. Now if she would just move...

Sooo.... when she's broke again and all sucking up to y'all and stuff, I would remind her of her behavior and how you are more than aware of her attempts at using you -- and THANK her because you found it SOOO peaceful. Then don't answer the phone/door, don't speak to her, don't acknowledge her, nothing. :thumbup:

Ooooh, or better yet, YOU call HER every day and borrow stuff. lol

:thumbup::lol::lol:Thank you. I think I am going to need help moving her... and a shovel... J/K (I think:rolleyes:)

I might be able to commandeer a backhoe... there's this one out on Route 7... and I betcha Glouc can hotwire that baby... :thumbup:

PJTP: My calves and thighs are so sore from the hike yesterday! I think I will just do the elliptical today! :thumbup:

Where did you go, Skyline?

They don't. Many have their secretaries do all the work, and many others simply fail due to overspending, etc., and then get sucked up into the government beast. I personally feel it's planned. A dumb (or reliant) public is a controllable one.

CEO's rely on CFO's and their finance/accounting teams. My CEO briefly looks at the books - I am the one who is doing the work. A secretary is not qualified to do what I do - thankfully since I have spent many years in school and many dollars on tuition! hahahaha

Where did you go, Skyline?

The Appalachian Trail off of highway 7 by Snickerville Pike. It is an awesome and quite rugged trail. Lots of up and down steep hills with boulers and rocks. We crossed two little streams which was fun for us - well except for Sandy who did not want to get her little paws wet! My dogs are still tired!

CEO's rely on CFO's and their finance/accounting teams. My CEO briefly looks at the books - I am the one who is doing the work. A secretary is not qualified to do what I do - thankfully since I have spent many years in school and many dollars on tuition! hahahaha

Sorry... :thumbup:

But yes, pretty much what I meant is that the CEOs aren't even doing the work. It's the "underlings" who do. The CEOs are usually the ones who simply get all the credit.