Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 3 months post-op (sleeve) and losing hair like crazy. I have very thick hair to begin with, so I wasn't that worried at first but handfuls are coming out when I wash my hair, or run my hands through it, and it's starting to freak me out. I eat at least 80 grams of Protein per day, take my bariatric Multivitamins (with folic acid), extra Iron supplements, and I've been taking Biotin for about a month now, but it doesn't seem to be slowing. I know from everything I've read that it will stop eventually but I'm still nervous about how much hair I'll lose between now and then. Has anyone had this problem and, if so, how long did it last? Did you try any of the Hair growth shampoos like Nioxin (and did they work)?

I did not try Nioxin, the Hair loss has gradually slowed down. I am also blessed with thick hair but I did loose a lot of it. Growing back in now but really only in the last couple of months. 16 months post op now.

I about 5 months sleeve post op and I had some gradual Hair loss. I get emotional about it sometimes. I use nioxin and I think it helps me and I upped my Protein in take. It happens. My mom had the RYN and lost a significant amount of her hair and she has to get shots in her head tan help her Hair growth but she’s almost 12 years out. Depends on our bodies and talk to your doctor and see what they recommend.

2 hours ago, Dshell said:

I did not try Nioxin, the hair loss has gradually slowed down. I am also blessed with thick hair but I did loose a lot of it. Growing back in now but really only in the last couple of months. 16 months post op now.

Oh lord, if I keep losing at this rate, I'll be bald by the time I get to 16 months. :( My Nioxin is arriving tomorrow; hopefully it'll help.

Just curious when your Hair loss began? Also I read that zinc is what helps or hurts hair loss, not sure if it’s accurate but I read it online when I was searching for ways to prevent hair loss. Check your multi Vitamin to make sure it has the zinc that you need.

15 hours ago, Yadifan said:

Just curious when your hair loss began? Also I read that zinc is what helps or hurts Hair loss, not sure if it’s accurate but I read it online when I was searching for ways to prevent hair loss. Check your multi Vitamin to make sure it has the zinc that you need.

It started about a month ago (at 2 months post-op). My Multivitamin has 30 mg of zinc, but I'll take extra if it helps! (I also started taking fish oil this week too.)