Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over eating before surgery

I'm doing my 6 month insurance process as well and I have the problem where I do great all weekend and then I destroy the weekends. I am not sure why either. I think maybe it is a fear of not getting to have those foods again. For me I think maybe I'm not busy enough on the weekends. I work out 5 times a week and kill it during the week, but man, the weekends get me. Do you take your lunch? I take my meals to work so I know that's all I can have during the work day. It keeps me on track better than if I say I can go to the gift shop or the cafeteria, I work in a hospital.

I'm a stay at home mom so I have access to food all day :( probably be better if I was working and not home. My spouse only works 4 days a week and is off on the weekends. This makes it a lot harder. She Is overweight as well and she likes to veg out on the weekends. Seeing her doing it makes me cave. We have always enjoyed eating together. So that makes it really difficult in itself too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I think one of the misconceptions going on here is that you won't be able to enjoy the same foods after the surgery as you could before. That's just not true. What is true is that for a significant time after the surgery you will be severely restricted, otherwise you won't lose weight and therefore, what's the point?

Once you reach your goal you can have all the same foods you enjoyed before, just in smaller, healthier portions. Yes, you can eat pizza again someday, but instead of ordering a large from Dominos, eating half for dinner and the rest for lunch the next day, or worse, all of it for dinner, you can get a very good, small pizza from a real Italian place in your neighborhood, and enjoy a quarter of that because 1) you'll eat so much slower, 2) you'll take smaller bites and 3) it'll taste a lot better than any sauce-covered cardboard disk you get from a mass-produced pizza chain. Plus you'll get four meals out of it instead of two.

Bottom line is post-surgery you have to learn to appreciate quality over quantity. Just because something tastes good or makes you feel good eating it does not mean you have to eat as much of it as you can. That will come with practice and patience, and probably some trial and error as well.

Edited by elforman

Did they recommend you do no carbs? I do almost a low carb, but like I said, I blew it this past weekend. I've lost 23lbs during my 6 moth, I still have 2 months left. I still eat some carbs though. I've tried Keto and failed at it, I actually gained more weight. I just watch calories.

The doctor wants me to follow the south beach diet so yes little to no carbs. I was doing really good before getting back on the the train to doing surgery, with low carb diet. But it all kind of went to crap sense planning on surgery.

You got this girl! You can do it! You CAN! And you know what? It will be easier than you would have ever dreamed. And the only regret you will have long term is that you didn't do it sooner. You GOT this!!

I'm doing my 6 month insurance process as well and I have the problem where I do great all weekend and then I destroy the weekends. I am not sure why either. I think maybe it is a fear of not getting to have those foods again. For me I think maybe I'm not busy enough on the weekends. I work out 5 times a week and kill it during the week, but man, the weekends get me. Do you take your lunch? I take my meals to work so I know that's all I can have during the work day. It keeps me on track better than if I say I can go to the gift shop or the cafeteria, I work in a hospital.

You definitely aren’t alone! I have the same problem. I feel like during the week I have other things to distract me from food but on the weekends i feel like I’m stalking my kitchen like an ever hungry beast wanting to devour whatever I can find!

3 hours ago, beccaconaty87 said:

I'm a stay at home mom so I have access to food all day :( probably be better if I was working and not home. My spouse only works 4 days a week and is off on the weekends. This makes it a lot harder. She Is overweight as well and she likes to veg out on the weekends. Seeing her doing it makes me cave. We have always enjoyed eating together. So that makes it really difficult in itself too.

Being at work helps me a ton, but weekends get me because my fiancé is like your spouse, he'll want doughnuts or McDonalds and it's hard to find ok food at McDonalds! And who can resist doughnuts. He was doing it with me, not losing weight, but just getting into shape. And that helped a ton. Will your spouse do anything like that? I go to the gym about 3 days a week and do weightlifting. Since then, my fiancé has gotten into weightlifting. It's been nice to have that in common but because he's not losing weight, the food is still a challenge.

3 hours ago, elforman said:

I think one of the misconceptions going on here is that you won't be able to enjoy the same foods after the surgery as you could before. That's just not true. What is true is that for a significant time after the surgery you will be severely restricted, otherwise you won't lose weight and therefore, what's the point?

Once you reach your goal you can have all the same foods you enjoyed before, just in smaller, healthier portions. Yes, you can eat pizza again someday, but instead of ordering a large from Dominos, eating half for dinner and the rest for lunch the next day, or worse, all of it for dinner, you can get a very good, small pizza from a real Italian place in your neighborhood, and enjoy a quarter of that because 1) you'll eat so much slower, 2) you'll take smaller bites and 3) it'll taste a lot better than any sauce-covered cardboard disk you get from a mass-produced pizza chain. Plus you'll get four meals out of it instead of two.

Bottom line is post-surgery you have to learn to appreciate quality over quantity. Just because something tastes good or makes you feel good eating it does not mean you have to eat as much of it as you can. That will come with practice and patience, and probably some trial and error as well.

This is great to hear! Honestly I've noticed I enjoy foods I didn't before already even though I am preop.

2 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

You definitely aren’t alone! I have the same problem. I feel like during the week I have other things to distract me from food but on the weekends i feel like I’m stalking my kitchen like an ever hungry beast wanting to devour whatever I can find!

Same here. I try so hard too but weekends kill me. Well, it's a new week, I'll try again this weekend!

On 2018/03/26 at 10:08 AM, angjade2 said:

With me during the 6 month process (I finished the process but now im switching surgery date from May to sooner) I ate fine all 6 months it’s now that I’m having problems eating everything in sight bc of the fear that I won’t be able to enjoy everything after surgery

There was another topic about this. Lots of people seem to go "diet-free" the last week or so before the pre-op liquid diet. I did. I enjoyed it, and did not regret it. I hammered back down a few days before the liquid diet started though.