Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I'm new to the group. I am having surgery on 3/26 with Dr Buchin in Huntington NY. Very excited for this change. I'm on day 11 of my liquid only diet and struggling a little, especially at work with my colleagues making daily coffee runs to Dunkin Donuts. Taking all of my strength to not order any donuts, I used to eat 2 donuts (Boston cream and double chocolate) every single day. I know I can stay strong, thankfully my coworkers are great and they won't let me get anything, but it's still tough seeing them drinking coffee and eating all of these foods I love.

I have been a little nervous the last day or so... lately I've been feeling some mild muscle aches, a slight scratch in my throat and I'm cold all the time. I did have my flu shot back in September and I actually still got the flu in December... so I'm not concerned about that, although it's almost how I feel right now. I've read quite a bit through Google that seems to be pointing to a Vitamin deficiency, most likely I'm becoming anemic due to the lack of Iron and such in my system. I'm confident that it's all relatively minor, but tonight I have my final Pre-Op appointment with Dr Buchin and I'm terrified my surgery will be postponed because of this. If I don't have it on my scheduled day, I might not be able to do it for several months. It was hard enough getting the week off of work now, and I had to sacrifice my usual Birthday week vacation in order to take the time off.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mention it to your doctor if you really feel sick, but if you are feeling ok then you should be fine in 4 days.

On a completely separate note I'm not sure if you are in/near Huntington as well, but if you are a gym guy (or want want to be one you've healed) I could use a lifting buddy when I'm healed (I'm two weeks out from having the Sleeve). I usually workout at the Retro Fitness on 25 in Dix Hills/Greenlawn before work.

1 minute ago, aNYCdb said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mention it to your doctor if you really feel sick, but if you are feeling ok then you should be fine in 4 days.

On a completely separate note I'm not sure if you are in/near Huntington as well, but if you are a gym guy (or want want to be one you've healed) I could use a lifting buddy when I'm healed (I'm two weeks out from having the Sleeve). I usually workout at the Retro Fitness on 25 in Dix Hills/Greenlawn before work.

Ironically, I actually work in Greenlawn. Not much of a gym person... I've joined Retro and Planet a few times over the years and didn't really utilize it nearly as much. I think I still owe Retro quote a bit of money from my last attempt to get my butt in gear.

Did you have your surgery with Dr. Buchin as well?

Welcome to the group! I was terrified the few days that I would come down with something. The thing of it is, stress can cause an immune deficiency. I'd try to not worry about it until the day comes.

4 minutes ago, Czuck1983 said:

Ironically, I actually work in Greenlawn. Not much of a gym person... I've joined Retro and Planet a few times over the years and didn't really utilize it nearly as much. I think I still owe Retro quote a bit of money from my last attempt to get my butt in gear.

Did you have your surgery with Dr. Buchin as well?

Yeah, I know how hard it is to keep motivated. I think it's Blink Fitness that I probably owe money to. I had my surgery at my wife's hospital in the city (because it didn't cost a dime). That bumpy drive home from the hospital was one of the longest drives of my life.

Edited by aNYCdb

4 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Welcome to the group! I was terrified the few days that I would come down with something. The thing of it is, stress can cause an immune deficiency. I'd try to not worry about it until the day comes.

I have a history of getting sick very easily... I get the flu every season (even after getting the shot) and I used to get strep on an almost lunar cycle. I've been trying to hard to take extra care of myself these last few weeks since my date was set. Of course, the weather has not been doing me any favors, my town received 17 inches last night. I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to dig out of the driveway and would miss my final pre-op appointment today. Although, I would have likely called an Uber if that was the case.

I think my biggest issue has been that there's been a lot of stress in my personal life as well, so add that to the potential Vitamin deficiency and my body is on a little roller coaster. But I only have to stay strong for 4 more days, then the big landmark moment will be in the past.

1 minute ago, Czuck1983 said:

I have a history of getting sick very easily... I get the flu every season (even after getting the shot) and I used to get strep on an almost lunar cycle. I've been trying to hard to take extra care of myself these last few weeks since my date was set. Of course, the weather has not been doing me any favors, my town received 17 inches last night. I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to dig out of the driveway and would miss my final pre-op appointment today. Although, I would have likely called an Uber if that was the case.

I think my biggest issue has been that there's been a lot of stress in my personal life as well, so add that to the potential Vitamin deficiency and my body is on a little roller coaster. But I only have to stay strong for 4 more days, then the big landmark moment will be in the past.

Do you use a CPAP? I found that before using a CPAP, I would get sick very easily and once I got sick, I tended to stay stick for quite a while. The CPAP seemed to change that. I went through all of last year with only one minor cold. The only thing I can think of is that with a better quality rest, my body was better equipped to fight off those nasty bugs.

I remember how stressed I was in the weeks leading up to surgery. I had a 3.5 hour drive to my surgeons office and hospital where I had surgery. I had to coordinate travel and pet sitters. It felt like right before you go on vacation, but you aren't going on vacation! I felt a big sense of relief when the morning of surgery came and I was getting wheeled back. I had met all the requirements, handled things at work, SURVIVED the pre op diet, and I was finally getting the thing done! One thing I can say, is prepare prepare prepare. You don't want to be stressed afterwards about things. I did as much as possible before. I cleaned and organized. I meal prepped for my purred stage (LOTS of Soup in the freezer) and I paid my bills for a month out (I'm a Banker, so I took care of this first LOL). I really made sure that I could focus solely on recovery.

Just remember, we are like your family now and you can lean on us!

3 minutes ago, Mattymatt said:

Do you use a CPAP? I found that before using a CPAP, I would get sick very easily and once I got sick, I tended to stay stick for quite a while. The CPAP seemed to change that. I went through all of last year with only one minor cold. The only thing I can think of is that with a better quality rest, my body was better equipped to fight off those nasty bugs.

I do not use a CPAP... thankfully that is one thing that has stayed strong in my system. I was tested about 2 years ago for apnea but thankfully I passed that test with flying colors.

The 26th is just right around the corner. I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Just now, AshAsh1 said:

I remember how stressed I was in the weeks leading up to surgery. I had a 3.5 hour drive to my surgeons office and hospital where I had surgery. I had to coordinate travel and pet sitters. It felt like right before you go on vacation, but you aren't going on vacation! I felt a big sense of relief when the morning of surgery came and I was getting wheeled back. I had met all the requirements, handled things at work, SURVIVED the pre op diet, and I was finally getting the thing done! One thing I can say, is prepare prepare prepare. You don't want to be stressed afterwards about things. I did as much as possible before. I cleaned and organized. I meal prepped for my purred stage (LOTS of Soup in the freezer) and I paid my bills for a month out (I'm a Banker, so I took care of this first LOL). I really made sure that I could focus solely on recovery.

Just remember, we are like your family now and you can lean on us!

Yeah I've been doing a lot of prep as well and making sure everything is in order. Ironically, I'm also a banker and thankfully my team has been great in helping me get my time off worked out and my benefits are about as good as can be so there shouldn't be too much out-of-pocket for me. I did get one temporarily rejection from the insurance company because my hospital apparently doesn't have some certification that was asked for. But we appealed it and had it approved within 2 days.

Yeah I've been doing a lot of prep as well and making sure everything is in order. Ironically, I'm also a banker and thankfully my team has been great in helping me get my time off worked out and my benefits are about as good as can be so there shouldn't be too much out-of-pocket for me. I did get one temporarily rejection from the insurance company because my hospital apparently doesn't have some certification that was asked for. But we appealed it and had it approved within 2 days.

That's great that you have good benefits. I am blessed as well and my surgery was covered 100% minus a $450 hospital copay. Besides the fact that I've been thinking of this for years, it was a no brainer. I even had travel reimbursement because my insurance company required me to travel to a Blue Distinction Center. But insurance is still difficult to work with, and can be stressful in itself.

I dropped off the grid, meaning this forum, for the 6 weeks after surgery and regretted it. There were so many questions I should have asked in this kind of environment instead of using Google. So when you feel up to it, let us know you are doing well and keep us posted on your journey.

2 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

The 26th is just right around the corner. I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Thankfully carbonated beverages is a vice I never took up (along with smoking). Supposedly when I was very young I took a sip of a soda and I guess I wasn't expecting it to be so bubbly and I choked or something like that... by the time I was old enough to realize how silly the phobia was, I didn't care enough to try. In turn, I've never drank any sort of soda (not even seltzer) and I don't drink beer either.

I'm planning on taking a bunch of pictures on Saturday. I have definitely felt and seen the loss thus far. I'm down 2 pant sizes and it's making me so happy to not only be under a 50" waist but also under the 300lbs mark in the first time in nearly 10 years.

4 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

That's great that you have good benefits. I am blessed as well and my surgery was covered 100% minus a $450 hospital copay. Besides the fact that I've been thinking of this for years, it was a no brainer. I even had travel reimbursement because my insurance company required me to travel to a Blue Distinction Center. But insurance is still difficult to work with, and can be stressful in itself.

I dropped off the grid, meaning this forum, for the 6 weeks after surgery and regretted it. There were so many questions I should have asked in this kind of environment instead of using Google. So when you feel up to it, let us know you are doing well and keep us posted on your journey.

I will definitely stick around... I do have a tendency to ghost from forums at times... but forums like this are too important. Thankfully my surgeon has a dedicated closed Facebook group as well as bi-weekly in office support groups for his patients. In addition, I've recently become friends with another of his patients, and I attend another weekly support group that isn't necessarily for weight-loss, but they are all amazing and have become a second family to me. So thankfully, I am definitely not lacking in support.