Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on day 4 postop and still experiencing what I describe as shooting gas spasms upwards through my diaphragm. I’m getting 64oz Water 60 grams Protein, Multivitamin, gasx, etc. any suggestions?

Wow I am impressed... I am four or five days post op (my operation was monday) and I have not met my liquid or Protein goal once and have not begun vitamins

As your your issue I find my gas is relieved with longer walks/movement it's when I lay down for awhile that I get gas pains

How is your incesion pain? Are you able to move around?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Incision pain has lessened from slight pain to a minor sting. I have not felt the need for pain meds. I’ve been walking since post op day 1 and the gas is still a problem.

I’m glad I’m not the only feeling this way. I am still having issues with nausea as well after both hydrating liquids and Protein. I am 10 days post-op

I had my surgery done April 23rd :) 5 days post op. No regrets!!!

On 4/25/2018 at 11:58 AM, ElisabethE said:

I had surgery on the 18th of April and was released from the hospital late on the 19th. I am having trouble eating/drinking enough hydrating and Protein due to pain and nausea. I spent yesterday in the emergency room getting fluids. I spoke to the surgeons and they have told me just to try to get in whatever I am able to. They also told me to take simethicone for the gas.

So sorry to hear about your trip to the ER. I haven’t been on this site since my surgery due to a prolonged hospital stay and a trip back to the ER with readmission to the hospital. I was beginning to think I was an outlier. How are you feeling now? I have multiple hematomas in my abdomen since the surgery that they were unable to drain and are causing tons of pain. I am also having trouble keeping liquids down due to the nausea. I keep hoping the pain and nausea will go away.

I’m doing better thank you. I’m still not able to get all of my liquids or Protein in, but I am just doing what I can. I’m not really in pain, but the nausea is still there, and last night I had dry heave‘s. It’s just going slow. I’m sorry to hear about your issues and hope you are doing well. My regular doctor just increased the amount of heartburn medication for me to take and refilled the nausea medication. Hopefully this helps

On 4/28/2018 at 4:51 PM, short_sleever said:

I was on the 23rd too and also no regrets!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was on the 23rd too. Mostly having pain when I drink or talk. But no regrets.

:1298_raised_hands_tone4: getting sleeved tomorrow! 4/30/18

YEEESSS how are you feeling??

Good for you and taking this very important step for your life. Just remember to relax and to breathe. Good luck tomorrow

Edited by ElisabethE
Wrong word entered

I was sleeved 4/25/18 by NYBG. I had some reservations and right before surgery I had some doubts, however I felt I was to far into the process to back out. I did the 10 day pre op diet which consisted of Protein Shakes, broth, Yogurt, Jello-pudding and pops. I had started the week before doing Meal Replacements. I felt that it would help relieve the shock of not eating my 900 calories meals 3 times a day.🤦‍♀️. The only cheat I had was I would have 3 slices of dill pickles in the afternoon. 2 days before the surgery I stopped with that. The liquid phase wasn’t that bad. I have to admit that by that point I was laser focused on the surgery.

Surgery- Not sure if others can identity but I had made it so much scarier in my mind. From the moment I entered the hospital to the time I left I felt as if it were my family members who were taking care of me. They keep me comfortable and informed every step of the way. My only complaint would be, they should give you a nice big dose of pain killers for the ride home. It was an hour away from my house and a lot of turns and potholes. That was the first time I had experienced pain from the surgery.

Home- The first night I was home the pain was pretty bad. I found myself thinking, WTH did I do to myself. I tried to go up stairs to bed and that was just not a good idea. Laying flat on your back when you are a side sleeper just wasn’t happening. I picked up my pillows and went down and slept on the recliner down stairs. I woke frequently and when I did I would get up and walk around the downstairs of the house. Each time I got up I would sip on Water. I was told at the hospital that for the first 3 days worry more about staying hydrated then getting Protein in. That the Protein would come in time and that was exactly like it happened.

Pain Medication- They prescribed me Percocet. I took one and began itching. So I stopped that right away and went to extra strength Tylenol which helped take the edge off.

After the first day of being home I jumped up on the scale, and was shocked when I saw that I had gained 7 lbs from the time I went into the hospital. Pain and weight gain, this was not what I signed up for. So day 2 and 3 were just trying to get Fluid into me and the gas and excess Water from the IV’s out of me. I walked, sipped, walked, sipped, walked, sipped.

Day 4- The skies opened up. It was the first time I felt better. I was finally able to sleep on my side and go back up to sleep in my bed. The 7lbs that I had gained from Water weight were now off. At this point I was able to go for a walk in the neighborhood and felt closer to better then to crap. I was able to get 30 grams of Protein in, 64 oz of water. I was also able to get a 1/2 teaspoon of Peanut Butter down as well as 3 oz of yogurt.

Day 5- Woke up not feeling as good. I took the Vitamins I had started on day 3 and also an Iron pill. My Iron had been low after surgery. I think I tried to do to much on day 4 because I felt really good. I rested and felt fine the rest of the day. I was able to get 64 oz of fluids, 1/2 scrambled egg with cottage cheese, 3 oz of purée tuna fish, 1 Protein Shake in. All sat fine with no indigestion, heartburn, or nausea. The only issue I am having with swallowing is my chewable Calcium. They hurt going down. I am going to see if there is an alternative.

5’3

HW 227

SWPOD 213

SW 204

CW 200

GW 130

Total weight loss -27lbs

ems067 - I’m impressed you’re already eating normalish food. We’re sleeved the same day I am struggling get my liquids in let alone Proteins in.

I don’t get soft foods until 5/19. I’m hoping some different things I ordered help me get there as some of the stuff I bought before and had no issue with are either tasting funny (bone broth) or giving me a bad reaction (protein Water with whey isolate).

Good news is I’m taking no pain meds and haven’t since Friday night. I still am getting up every few hours but that’s not unnormal in my household.

Sleeved on 04/27. Soreness in incision sites and bit of sharp pain in the side due to gas. But funnily enough my throat hurts more than anything due to the anesthesia. I was coughing up blood and phlegm for 3 days because of the tube they put down your throat [emoji47] anyone else feels like they’re swallowing a pill too large when they swallowing Water?

I can relate to this. I am 12 days out and my throat is still a little sore, and I still get a Lotta gas. I’m finding due to the Lovenox injections twice a day I get nosebleeds more often, they stop, but it cakes up inside my nose. Congratulations. I drove my car for the first time today since before surgery and I am exhausted.