Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am brand new on here. I needed to find people who know what’s about to happen to me. I was told 2 days ago my surgery will be next Wednesday. I haven’t had time to process even though this has been a 8 month long journey. I am getting RNY and hiatal hernia repair. I am terrified of not having control or knowing EXACTLY how I will feel after surgery. I am a nurse and I take care of post op patients all of the time, but I see the bad, the people who have complications, pulmonary embolisms, peritonitis, pneumonia, infections..... I just want to know exactly how bad the pain will be? Will I be able to take deep breaths or will I feel like I can’t breathe? How the hell am I supposed to drink 64oz of Water when you can only take in like 1/2 an oz at a time! How can you take all these supplements when your pouch is practically the same size as them? My surgeon and his staff just say “everyone responds differently” “It depends on you and your body”..... Not helpful at all! So please help ease my anxiety and tell me I will be ok or give me positive advice.

Hey - welcome!

It is all a bit variable. I had open surgery, but even still the pain was really fine (way easier than a hysterectomy, if that helps!) If you are having laparoscopic surgery, most seem to find the gas pain (from gas they pump into your abdomen to separate your organs for surgery) the worst. It passes but is not fun.

They really do work to manage the pain, because then you get up and walk about (4 hours after you wake). That moves the gas.

As for the Water - sip, sip, sip, every few minutes. The mantra here - walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip!

We all got through it, it goes by really fast. Stay in touch - there are half a dozen folk here who can answer any question!

For me the worst part of the surgery was not being able to drink anything for the 1st 24 hours. I was dying of thirst. Good thing my nurse gave me these little sticks with sponges on them and I was able to rinse my mouth with them. As for pain, I didn't need any pain meds. I got up and walked as soon as I was instructed to. When I got home the only discomfort was from the incision that my stomach was actually removed through. I took Tylenol for that. As for drinking your liquids, that's a job in itself. Get a few 1oz shot glasses and sip each one at 15 minute intervals. Also get frozen sugar free ice pops, broth, herbal tea and sugar free Jello. All count toward your liquid intake. You'll feel tired and want to rest for the first week or two. Everyone is different as your surgeon said but getting the different experiences from others will help you get through.

I agree with Danny Pauls post..almost like I am reading my experience. I woke up extremely thirsty from the tube that was in my throat. I was up walking 2 or 3 hours after surgery from my bed to bathroom. The pain was there but not unbearable..the most pain throughout the weeks after was my biggest incision but heating pads and rest helped. Popsicles were a saving grace for dry mouth and liquid intake. I couldnt drink much of anything...fast forward 15 months and I am able to eat and drink whatever i want besides tuna lol..it now makes me gag. Best of luck to you..u will have good and bad days but in the end it will be worth it

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

I honestly think your RNY experience "may" be different than the sleeve surgeries? But dunno about the hernia repair. I had ice chips in recovery and the entire first day. My surgeon chewed people's asses out for not bringing me my Clear Liquids tray that night of surgery!

The hardest part for me, because I could swallow so easily, was limiting my fluids to 4oz per hour (1oz every 15 minutes). By the end of week 2, I had no hourly limitations on liquids and now, I can easily gulp (but don't) and can easily get down 20oz in about 30 minutes--and that's at 3 weeks.

I think maybe the sleevers have a rougher time of it and have more limits?

Congrats! You'll do great! Follow doc orders to the T!

After surgery I decided to not take any pain medicine. Most of the pain is gas pain and walking after surgery relieves that fairly well. So that is what I did. I also told the anesthesiologist to go easy on the anesthesia and she said she would. So for the most part the surgery had very little pain. I was up and walking almost immediately (once every 2 hours around the clock). They had a white board to record the lapse. After the first few lapse, a nurse came in and told me to ease off the walking because when the anesthesia wears off, I would experience great pain. Never happened. I think the anesthesia wore off around 2 am but not sure. Anyways I followed the nurse's directions and tried not to set any records. I remember the pain nurse coming in and she tried to give me pain medicine. She asked me to rate my level of pain level on a scale of 1 to 10. I said honestly 1. (I have a good pain tolerance anyways). I told her "no pain medicine for me". She gave me a scowl look and left.

Do not expect to meet your Fluid and Protein daily goals right out of the gate. That is because your body is in a major heal mode. Just keep working towards those daily goals and you should be able to get there in around 2 weeks.

Some patients have ports put in to drain fluids. I did not. I think they have a rougher time. Some patients stayed in bed and didn't walk. I did not. Focus on Walking, Walking, Walking if you are worried about reducing your pain levels.

I wrote about my experience with the surgery in this article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Also it is quite common to get the jitters right before surgery.

3 hours ago, Numbergurl37 said:

I agree with Danny Pauls post..almost like I am reading my experience. I woke up extremely thirsty from the tube that was in my throat. I was up walking 2 or 3 hours after surgery from my bed to bathroom. The pain was there but not unbearable..the most pain throughout the weeks after was my biggest incision but heating pads and rest helped. Popsicles were a saving grace for dry mouth and liquid intake. I couldnt drink much of anything...fast forward 15 months and I am able to eat and drink whatever i want besides tuna lol..it now makes me gag. Best of luck to you..u will have good and bad days but in the end it will be worth it

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Sorry. I thought this was the OP's thread. I replied to her. She said she is having an RNY? I replied to her with my very recent RNY op surgical experience.

Edited by FluffyChix

I had the same surgery you are having. Get the pain meds, I needed them and anti nausea. I didn’t walk around too soon, my pain was pretty bad, but gets better. Everything gets better day by day. Any food in the beginning was yuk. It all tasted weird. I don’t drink as much Water as I should but I throw it up if I drink too much. I got depressed for awhile wondering why I did this, but when you try on your clothes and they look huge, that made the difference for me. I’m still learning what to eat, and chew chew chew. Hope this helps at least a little. No reflux is the best, I’ve had that for years and it’s gone!

Thanks everyone! I have been researching more and becoming a little bit more comfortable.