Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

six weeks postop

hello,

I'm almost 6 weeks post op, I had my surgery on 01\08\2018

I'm having some concerns & questions if you could help me.

I'm having trouble drinking 2 liters of Water a day when I try my best I only drink 1.5 liters.

and sometimes I put a normal to small sized portion of food on my plate and spend an hour, maybe 2, to finish it. is that okay or should I put smaller portion?

the last concern I have is, we don't have any gym near my area so what could I do instead? plus I don't really have the time because I'm a medical student and have a part-time job. I'm terrified of having loose skin.

Thank you.

It is common for your taste buds to change after surgery. Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot Drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

The Fluid requirement is met by a combination. It is not only the water that you drink each day. But also the water you drink when you take your Vitamins and medicine. It is the milk you drink. It is the fluids content of the Protein Shakes. It is the water component of the Soups you take. It is met by flavored water such as Crystal Light. It is met by sugar free popsicles. It is met by tea and Decaf coffee. It is a combination of all the fluids that you consume during the day.

It is important to get at least 30 minutes of walking each day. But that does not have to be in a gym. If you are walking a lot as a medical student between classes and in your part time job, that can count. You might want to get a pedometer and see how many steps your are walking each day. Also I found going up and down stairs gives more exercise than walking on the flats.

hello,
I'm having trouble drinking 2 liters of Water a day when I try my best I only drink 1.5 liters.
and sometimes I put a normal to small sized portion of food on my plate and spend an hour, maybe 2, to finish it. is that okay or should I put smaller portion?
the last concern I have is, we don't have any gym near my area so what could I do instead? plus I don't really have the time because I'm a medical student and have a part-time job. I'm terrified of having loose skin.

Thank you.

Sounds like you were really not ready to have the surgery.

It is common for your taste buds to change after surgery. Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot Drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.
The Fluid requirement is met by a combination. It is not only the water that you drink each day. But also the water you drink when you take your Vitamins and medicine. It is the milk you drink. It is the fluids content of the Protein Shakes. It is the water component of the Soups you take. It is met by flavored water such as Crystal Light. It is met by sugar free popsicles. It is met by tea and Decaf coffee. It is a combination of all the fluids that you consume during the day.
It is important to get at least 30 minutes of walking each day. But that does not have to be in a gym. If you are walking a lot as a medical student between classes and in your part time job, that can count. You might want to get a pedometer and see how many steps your are walking each day. Also I found going up and down stairs gives more exercise than walking on the flats.

32 oz should be plain or crystal lite type water. How do you measure the water component ???? If you are a medical school student you should have more nutritional knowledge and be more of a problem solver instead of whining and complaining about what you can’t do. Just do right enough with the excuses

On 2/18/2018 at 9:46 AM, Vsglife said:

32 oz should be plain or crystal lite type Water. How do you measure the water component ???? If you are a medical school student you should have more nutritional knowledge and be more of a problem solver instead of whining and complaining about what you can’t do. Just do right enough with the excuses

Seriously? 32 oz does not have to be plain or Crystal Light type water. All liquids count including Decaf coffee and tea. And I think you are being very disrespectful by saying they should be more of a problem solver. The person is not whining and complaining at all. The questions seem legit to me.

Seriously? 32 oz does not have to be plain or Crystal Light type Water. All liquids count including Decaf coffee and tea. And I think you are being very disrespectful by saying they should be more of a problem solver. The person is not whining and complaining at all. The questions seem legit to me.

Okay

Seriously? 32 oz does not have to be plain or Crystal Light type Water. All liquids count including Decaf coffee and tea. And I think you are being very disrespectful by saying they should be more of a problem solver. The person is not whining and complaining at all. The questions seem legit to me.

Okay

Okay if you want to cheat that is your business not mine.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:46 AM, Vsglife said:

32 oz should be plain or crystal lite type Water. How do you measure the water component ???? If you are a medical school student you should have more nutritional knowledge and be more of a problem solver instead of whining and complaining about what you can’t do. Just do right enough with the excuses

I apologize to the original poster for going off topic. I see this was your first post.

Veterans usually ignore the negative posts. I'm going to respond once and not acknowledge @Vsglife again. Hope the rest of the board will do the same. Take what is useful and ignore the people that personal attack and are seeking drama and attention.

Most of the people here are supportive.

Wishing you the best,

Jenn

On 2/17/2018 at 9:17 AM, Leen said:

Hi there, I know we all have slightly different instructions, but mine are to eat what I can in 30 minutes and then put the food away, for 4 meals a day. Good luck with your studies!!

@Leen

getting the required 64 oz liquid, can be hard for many people

liquids are super important , drinking 32 oz is a good start.

you just have to force yourself/push the drinking. you'll get it!

i hope you are measuring your food. do you have a NUT (nutritionist)

who gave you quantities of food to eat. ie 1/2 cup oatmeal - you

need to measure specifically - don't eyeball!!

i suggest you use a small plate to put your food on. i still do that

frequently. psychologically - the small plate looks full, and you

trick yourself that you are eating more. LOL (small utensils too)

my NUT told me to eat up to 30 minutes - stop after that.

as far as exercise - walking is great. you could rent a DVD with

exercises too. Everyone here is nice and supportive. (couple of

bad apples in any group) never too early or late to ask any question.

asking for help shows that you know you must/and will learn!!
good luck newbie

kathy

hello,

Thank you.

Water flavourings really help.. but it took me awhile to get more than 1.5 litres.
I was told to take 20/30 mins to eat. And then move on. I'm 7 months post if I allow myself two hours to eat I'd probably eat a hell of a lot. That doesn't seem ideal at all to me. What was the length of time to eat recommended ?

I think super early out id track the amount of food just to make sure your not eating too much as some people don't feel full at first. You shouldn't be having big portions that take you 2 hours to Finnish.

What are you eating and how much ?

Most of us have lose skin whether we excerise or not. But there are many home excersises you can do. Not everyone goes to the gym. Google and youtube will have some work outs that may suit your needs.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

Im 8 week post op surgery 12/27/17. And not able to drink 2 L. I was told by the dietitian its not an issue drink as much as possible but if you're getting over 1L and your urine is not dark yellow you're doing fine.
I 'm eating a total of 2.5 to 3 ounces soft meat With a tablespoon of cottage cheese or broccoli with an hr. Then back to drinking Water after 30 minutes

It's very important to me to measure or weight the portion size
If I eat over 3 ounces makes me sick and hurts
So if it's taking you two hours you're probably overeating unknowingly

Hw 241
Sw 236
Todays w 202

Wish you the best

Jack

I eat 6 little 200 calorie meals each day.

My group counts calories and wants us at 1000-1200 calories each day, recorded in a food journal.

if you don't have a gym...try a Fitbit or other Fitness tracker. Walking is awesome, and you can do it anywhere:)