Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Enough Stomach Removed

Have they given you a calorie goal? What is your typical calorie intake per day?

Mine is 1000-1200 calories per day, and 60-80 grams of Protein. This is where I'm supposed to stay for 18 months, or until I hit my goal. I also exercise 60+ minutes a day 6 out of 7 days a week. Mostly walking.

Edited by Creekimp13

The nutritionist told me to not worry about calories but to just stay focused on 2 ounces of Protein and veg. At my meeting yesterday we discussed how my issue might be grazing, so I've been trying to not graze but it's been really difficult. I want to eat all the time. My typical calorie intake is 900-1000 calories a day but that's me trying really hard to not eat more. I'm worried that my willpower will give out and that I'll return to my old habits. I might just be overthinking everything. I'll let you know what the x-ray shows on Friday.

There are two schools of thought on bariatric surgery nutrition.

The old school theory...is that you should take advantage of inflammation and nausea and severely restrict caloric intake in the early months after surgery.

The newer research, however, is showing that starvation levels of calories are more associated with metabolic slow-down, more malnutrition, more Hair loss, and rapid weight loss is tough on the skin. (there are limits to what skin can recover from...but slower weight loss has somewhat better results)

The newer research supports that both groups lose approximately the SAME amount of weight over 18 months. The severely calorie restricted crowd loses more, earlier. People from groups like mine...where there is a focus on returning eating at normal levels earlier...will lose weight slower, but will lose just as much in 18 months. Also...the people fed higher calories earlier will maintain weight loss more successfully at 2 and 5 years.

Some clinics are oldschool...and it pays to be oldschool...because all of your clients become drastically noticeable living advertisements for how fast and effective your surgery works. (even though the newer research is proving this is probably not the healthiest approach)

But it's hard to tell a clinic...."you're doing it wrong" because bariatric nutrition and endocrinology is an emerging field. You pretty much have to work with the people you choose and their protocol.

I'm very comfortable with my clinic...put some research into finding the best fit with my diet preferences, and generally prefer using research hospital based protocol over for-profit private clinic protocol.

Edited by Creekimp13

There are two schools of thought on bariatric surgery nutrition.
The old school theory...is that you should take advantage of inflammation and nausea and severely restrict caloric intake in the early months after surgery.
The newer research, however, is showing that starvation levels of calories are more associated with metabolic slow-down, more malnutrition, more hair loss, and rapid weight loss is tough on the skin. (there are limits to what skin can recover from...but slower weight loss has somewhat better results)
The newer research supports that both groups lose approximately the SAME amount of weight over 18 months. The severely calorie restricted crowd loses more, earlier. People from groups like mine...where there is a focus on returning eating at normal levels earlier...will lose weight slower, but will lose just as much in 18 months. Also...the people fed higher calories earlier will maintain weight loss more successfully at 2 and 5 years.
Some clinics are oldschool...and it pays to be oldschool...because all of your clients become drastically noticeable living advertisements for how fast and effective your surgery works. (even though the newer research is proving this is probably not the healthiest approach)
But it's hard to tell a clinic...."you're doing it wrong" because bariatric nutrition and endocrinology is an emerging field. You pretty much have to work with the people you choose and their protocol.
I'm very comfortable with my clinic...put some research into finding the best fit with my diet preferences, and generally prefer using research hospital based protocol over for-profit private clinic protocol.

Thank you for the info!

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

5a7be74db0fa2_phasefour.thumb.jpg.96b9a779bb5753578b115deb4337ed12.jpg

Note that these are instructions for Phase Four....which occurs for us at week three. The first day of week three we are encouraged to start working on 1000-1200 calories.

There are some VERY different ideas out there:)

Edited by Creekimp13

I was sleeved on the same day as you. I have not had the same experience with liquids as you did so soon but I can drink like I did before now. I wasn't a guzzler though and I consciously slow myself just to be careful.

I don't know how much you're eating where you don't feel restriction but I'll tell you I don't if it's 2 oz, even meat. But I do feel it between 6-8 oz.

I also didn't lose the sensation of hunger. It gnaws at me throughout the day. I'm losing but you lost more that me in the same period. I've lost 18 lbs as of this morning. My surgeon hasn't chastised me for what feels like a very small loss (but the nutritionist was out sick that day, too, so who knows).

I'm glad I don't really know anyone that has done this surgery because I would hate to compare myself to someone else and end up feeling like a failure because I'm not losing as much/as fast as someone else (and I limit my time here for that reason - I have to catch myself for feeling badly I'm not as successful as someone only to realize they've had gastric bypass not the sleeve, for example). Every body is different as every person is. Statistics are statistics - you may fall in line or be an outlier (positive or negative).

Obviously, you can only control what you eat (and don't) and how much/often you're moving. Keep in mind scale numbers are one thing because your weight can shift. Muscle weighs more than fat, you can be retaining fluids or not, etc. How are your clothes fitting you? That's a big indicator. Do you wear fitted clothes? I do for work and I notice a huge difference in the fit, even my old smaller clothes (they're too big! Yay!).

I hope nothing is off and I hope your test puts your mind at ease.

I am 8 weeks out. Have lost less than a pound in the last 2 weeks (sigh). I get a bit despondent, but I remind myself I am down a bra size this week, and my pants look too loose, and people are noticing - with the earlier gastric band too I found that in a stall I often changed the fatty locations, so body shrinkage in a stall may be more than when you’re losing lbs.

I can gulp Water, smoothies. “Good peristalsis” said surgeon. Makes me nervous as I seem to be able to eat 1/2 cup of anything not too sweet, when and how fast I want.

For dinner in an event last night ate a bread roll, slowly. It felt fine but I was full - had two force in 2 prawns in for Protein. So a small sourdough roll - 1/2 cup, is full for me. My only rules now are: Each meal, only 3 a day, about 1/2 cup each, with 20g protein to start and then and whatever extra healthy and flavours helps you get good nutrition and to stay on programme.

Of course I with this programme wanted a miracle. Of course I wanted a bloody tool to effortlessly lose weight every day. I am sick of dealing with weight and my own pathetic inadequacy in being unable to manage normal food/exercise behaviour. But it is a tool. We can misuse it. Or put in new, lifelong, simple rules to make it the new you...

Edited by Biddynz

I’m a bypass patient but I thought I’d lose weight a lot faster too. I lost 15 pounds before surgery and I’ve lost 43 pounds since my surgery on December 2nd.

This is all while eating 600-800 calories a day, and now I’m back to working 12 hour shifts at a busy hospital on my feet to boot. Im trying to increase my calories up to the 1,000 range because I believe in the higher calorie intake personally, especially for people with higher activity levels.

I think we all want to lose weight faster than we do. Not very often do we see posts about how people are disappointed about how quickly they are losing weight.

I did feel like in the full liquid stage and purée stage I could eat more than others but my surgeon was not worried and that has passed. Some things I can eat more of like Soups and salads, and others like tuna salad or salmon are very filling.

I hope you don’t get discouraged.

Has anyone who thinks their pouch is too big tested the restrictions by weight or measuring out pure solid Protein (chicken beef fish etc ) and eating only that? Nothing in addition, no veggie grains or excess sauces?

You may be eating slider foods and not realize it.

Also timing how long you eat for matters, 30 mins only according to my practice... The food does eventually empty from the stomach. Doesn't stay there for hours.

Edited by Tealael

12 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Very interesting. I find it fascinating that we are finding out more and more that there are other factors involved than just the restriction offered by the sleeve.

12 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

5a7be74db0fa2_phasefour.thumb.jpg.96b9a779bb5753578b115deb4337ed12.jpg

Note that these are instructions for Phase Four....which occurs for us at week three. The first day of week three we are encouraged to start working on 1000-1200 calories.

There are some VERY different ideas out there:)

Creek. What shouild I google to find this stuff or stuff like this. I have looked for literature on calorie intake at this stage (final stage ) and even oz and I can't find it anywhere. If it weren't for YOU, I wouldnt have known you or someone could eat THAT many calroies or be encoueraged to do so. Where are you finding these. What can I google to find calorie intake for sleevers 2 months post op and behond?

6 minutes ago, Toomanytacos said:

Creek. What shouild I google to find this stuff or stuff like this. I have looked for literature on calorie intake at this stage (final stage ) and even oz and I can't find it anywhere. If it weren't for YOU, I wouldnt have known you or someone could eat THAT many calroies or be encoueraged to do so. Where are you finding these. What can I google to find calorie intake for sleevers 2 months post op and behond?

There's not right answer on calories. I've seen people stay too low which hinders their weight loss. I've seen some go higher but lose because they keep carbs low. It's a combination of. Most doctors say that in time your meals should be approximately 4-6 oz. Density of food matters. Early on there's no way I could ever get down 4 oz of chicken in a single meal. If it was a soft food like yogurt I could do it no problem. Slider foods are much easier to eat than a dense Protein.< br />
The other rule of thumb is that your protein source should roughly be about the size of a deck of playing cards. Use a combination of a scale and measuring cups until you get comfortable with portion size. My standard go-to chicken salad recipe comes out to 1 cup equaling 6 oz. Some days I could get all 6 oz in no problem. Other days I'll eat half and be completely full.

Edited by orionburn

13 hours ago, Shannon226 said:

The nutritionist told me to not worry about calories but to just stay focused on 2 ounces of Protein and veg. At my meeting yesterday we discussed how my issue might be grazing, so I've been trying to not graze but it's been really difficult. I want to eat all the time. My typical calorie intake is 900-1000 calories a day but that's me trying really hard to not eat more. I'm worried that my willpower will give out and that I'll return to my old habits. I might just be overthinking everything. I'll let you know what the x-ray shows on Friday.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but no surgery is going to fix head hunger. In the early stages, yes, you're experiencing actual hunger. I've said this a half million times on here, but my example is this: I can eat right before I leave work and feel super full. An hour later when I get home I feel hungry again. Why? Because it's head hunger and old (bad) habits of always eating as soon as I got home from work. No different than my old smoking habits. Got done with a meal. Had to smoke. Didn't matter if I had a smoke five minutes before dinner. I always had to have one right after. It's the habit of it and my brain telling me I "need" it even though I actually don't.

Studies will show differently, but on average Water in an empty stomach can pass through in 5-15 minutes. Yes, there are a host of things to take into account but the point is people act surprised when they drink and don't feel a full sensation. Grazing is one of the hardest battles to fight. That can easily lead to weight gain and slow down your progress. If you aren't doing a food journal do one. If you aren't actually measuring your food get a scale and measuring cups. The mental side to WLS is something that (IMO) isn't stressed enough to many. My doc's office did a pretty good job of prepping us for it, but it's still difficult when it actually comes time to fight back against old habits.

34 minutes ago, Toomanytacos said:

Didn’t your surgical group give you a binder with all of this information in it? If they didn’t they should have!

1 minute ago, Seahawks Fan said:

Didn’t your surgical group give you a binder with all of this information in it? If they didn’t they should have!

that is what i was thinking. Most centers kind of consider their programs to be their property so they will even discourage you from sharing the literature on social media.