Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Enough Stomach Removed

13 hours ago, Shannon226 said:

The nutritionist told me to not worry about calories but to just stay focused on 2 ounces of Protein and veg. At my meeting yesterday we discussed how my issue might be grazing, so I've been trying to not graze but it's been really difficult. I want to eat all the time. My typical calorie intake is 900-1000 calories a day but that's me trying really hard to not eat more. I'm worried that my willpower will give out and that I'll return to my old habits. I might just be overthinking everything. I'll let you know what the x-ray shows on Friday.

Are you eating 4 oz every three hours? Make sure your food choices are solid hearty foods & No drinking up to 30 minutes before meals and until 30 minutes after. Every 3 hours is not that long to wait without grazing in between.

16 hours ago, Shannon226 said:

I was sleeved on 12/18/17. After having the surgery I had pain for about 3 weeks but noticed that I had little to no trouble meeting my liquid and Protein goals. I mentioned to my surgery center that I was really worried by how much I could eat and that maybe my sleeve was not restricting me the way it should. They were also concerned after listening to me and want me to come in for an upper GI x-ray on Friday. Has anyone had this experience? Did anyone have to have the procedure again because there was not enough removed the first time? I'm really freaked out about it. Thanks.

If your surgery center has done this enough times they have a model to go by and everybody’s stomach is the same size after surgery. Following the right guidelines and eating solid hearty foods every three hours you should have nothing to be freaked out.

44 minutes ago, Seahawks Fan said:

Didn’t your surgical group give you a binder with all of this information in it? If they didn’t they should have!

They did bu tI want to hear what Creek said because she has more information than all of us, it apppears lol

Honestly, for the first 6 months, it says we should be having 1/4 of a cup, up to 1/2 a cup. I get the jest that the half a cup is closer to 6 months out. I can eat that NOW.

I don't know how to transfer oz from 1/4-1/3 a cup so I am asking her

Also, is liquid measured the same as food. Is the quanity in liquid oz the same as food oz, somehow I think they look different.

I just bought a new food scale and I am weighing that, but it seems like a food scale is different in oz than the oz in a liquid scale, if i am making sense. Am I?

Also, to answer your question Seahaws,

our nutritionist does and will not give caloric roundabouts. She doesn't give what or how many calories we should concentrate on. What she says that matters is the cup amount and go by your body on when you feel full. No, not even full, but "satisifeD" Which makes sense but she does NOT give caloric estimates. And somehow Creek has that information. So that is why I am asking

46 minutes ago, Seahawks Fan said:

Are you eating 4 oz every three hours? Make sure your food choices are solid hearty foods & No drinking up to 30 minutes before meals and until 30 minutes after. Every 3 hours is not that long to wait without grazing in between.

How many calories would you say you're eating right now, Seahawsk? how many ounces of food each meal and how many meals are you having a day

21 minutes ago, Toomanytacos said:

8 oz per cup, 1/4 cup is 2 oz and half cup is 4 oz. again this is Fluid oz, oz in weight is going to depend on the density of the food and 16 oz for each 1 lb

Edited by Down South Aussie

1 hour ago, Toomanytacos said:

They did bu tI want to hear what Creek said because she has more information than all of us, it apppears lol

Honestly, for the first 6 months, it says we should be having 1/4 of a cup, up to 1/2 a cup. I get the jest that the half a cup is closer to 6 months out. I can eat that NOW.

Also, is liquid measured the same as food. Is the quanity in liquid oz the same as food oz, somehow I think they look different.

I just bought a new food scale and I am weighing that, but it seems like a food scale is different in oz than the oz in a liquid scale, if i am making sense. Am I?

I was told to eat half a cup every 3 hours at two weeks out. And at the end of the puréed phase I may not be able to eat a half a cup.

16 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

The newer research, however, is showing that starvation levels of calories are more associated with metabolic slow-down, more malnutrition, more hair loss, and rapid weight loss is tough on the skin. (there are limits to what skin can recover from...but slower weight loss has somewhat better results)

The newer research supports that both groups lose approximately the SAME amount of weight over 18 months. The severely calorie restricted crowd loses more, earlier. People from groups like mine...where there is a focus on returning eating at normal levels earlier...will lose weight slower, but will lose just as much in 18 months. Also...the people fed higher calories earlier will maintain weight loss more successfully at 2 and 5 years.

@Creekimp13 Can you point to a specific study that supports this? I ask because I'm about the have 80% of my stomach surgically removed and I want to be well-informed about how to maximize my results..

Edited by Apple203

3 hours ago, Down South Aussie said:

8 oz per cup, 1/4 cup is 2 oz and half cup is 4 oz. again this is Fluid oz, oz in weight is going to depend on the density of the food and 16 oz for each 1 lb

But to get the accurate measure of oz weight for food is a food scale right?

2 hours ago, Seahawks Fan said:

I was told to eat half a cup every 3 hours at two weeks out. And at the end of the puréed phase I may not be able to eat a half a cup.

Thanks Patna!

Btw, I am soo proud of you and your weight loss

Fist bump!

I love you guys. I really am glad I have you all to lean on. Fluffy chick, Creek, Seahawks, Apple

We're really all becoming like a small little family, ya know it? lol

Hugs

Jo

TooManyTacos,

Everything I am sharing I learned from attending several bariatric seminars when I was researching which group I wanted to use. The photos I share are from my binder, info given to me by my surgeon and/or nutritionist (who I continue to see monthly) The statistics on average monthly weight loss are readily available from many sources online. (and were also provided by my group)

Ultimately, I went with a surgeon in the Michigan Bariatric Surgery Collaborative...which is a group of 38 hospitals in Michigan that are resource and data sharing to study and improve bariatric surgery outcomes. I am participating in their study. The dietary protocol was developed by University of Michigan, a leading global medical research University in Ann Arbor. (Trivia Bonus....my kid studies Microbiology there)

http://michiganbsc.org/program-leads/ Here are some bios on the people who run the collaborative. Some really sharp medical research Cookies.

What's unique and cool about the collaborative...is that they are also working with insurance companies to optimize outcomes, and provide statistical data that helps the insurance company to better understand what they gain by allowing patients to utilize WLS. it's a win-win for everyone. Patients get better care. Doctors can learn from each other. New empirical data can be analyzed so protocol can be improved. And people like me....get followed for ten years to study longterm outcomes.

I was sleeved on 12/18/17. After having the surgery I had pain for about 3 weeks but noticed that I had little to no trouble meeting my liquid and Protein goals. I mentioned to my surgery center that I was really worried by how much I could eat and that maybe my sleeve was not restricting me the way it should. They were also concerned after listening to me and want me to come in for an upper GI x-ray on Friday. Has anyone had this experience? Did anyone have to have the procedure again because there was not enough removed the first time? I'm really freaked out about it. Thanks.

I came in for my 2 week appt and said the same thing. "Did you even do the surgery?" was my actual quote, half joking and half serious. The APRN told me that the people who follow the rules tend to feel the same way I did. Those without complications have a general good experience. I hope that's all that's going on with you!

I still get hungry. I can eat fine, but I am careful not to over do it. I measure almost everything (unless I can count it, and then I count). I am progressing really well with regards to my food stages, even (gently) tip-toeing ahead a little here and there, and haven't had issues with fluids or nausea or anything. And I've stalled (weight) for a week and a half right now, but I'm not worried. I injured my leg this week and can't exercise, so it is what it is.

I'm curious what your doctor will say and how it may differ from what mine said. Either way, I hope your x-ray/appt goes well! Keep us posted.

3 minutes ago, sleeved2win said:

I came in for my 2 week appt and said the same thing. "Did you even do the surgery?" was my actual quote, half joking and half serious. The APRN told me that the people who follow the rules tend to feel the same way I did. Those without complications have a general good experience. I hope that's all that's going on with you!

I still get hungry. I can eat fine, but I am careful not to over do it. I measure almost everything (unless I can count it, and then I count). I am progressing really well with regards to my food stages, even (gently) tip-toeing ahead a little here and there, and haven't had issues with fluids or nausea or anything. And I've stalled (weight) for a week and a half right now, but I'm not worried. I injured my leg this week and can't exercise, so it is what it is.

I'm curious what your doctor will say and how it may differ from what mine said. Either way, I hope your x-ray/appt goes well! Keep us posted.

hey . Just curious. IS your 38 pound weight loss since surgery or preop diet?