Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Enough Stomach Removed

Yes, you will have to diet and exercise for the surgery to be effective.

Just now, Creekimp13 said:

Yes, you will have to diet and exercise for the surgery to be effective.

I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I get that I'm supposed to eat less, eat healthy, and exercise. I'm doing that. But what good did the surgery do me?

May I ask, and I truly am not being snarky here.... What did you expect the surgery to have done? How much weight did you think you would have lost at this point?

Why do so many people online just act like I'm being delusional rather than maybe acknowledging the possibility that my surgery maybe didn't do what it was supposed to? I'm not saying that's for sure the answer, just that it's a possibility. But my docs office was really surprised when I told them I could finish an 11 oz. Premier Protein shake in just a couple of minutes with no issues.

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

May I ask, and I truly am not being snarky here.... What did you expect the surgery to have done? How much weight did you think you would have lost at this point?

I expected to have less hunger. I expected to have a negative feeling or restriction of some kind. I expected to have a negative physical reaction to overeating. I hoped to lose more than 20 something lbs. in 7 and 1/2 weeks. What should I have expected? That's what I was told. Otherwise, what was the point of the surgery? I could diet on my own. Are you telling me that you have no feelings of restrictions? Are you eating less just by willpower alone? Why did you have the surgery then?

I ate 1000 calories per day at week 3. You're not that unusual.

On day 3, I drank 64 ounces. 32oz of Clear Liquids. 32oz of Premier Protien.

I drank it 4 ounces per hour as instructed....but I had no problem getting that volume in.

Yes, I could have overeaten and gained weight by week four if I were determined to.

The average person loses 18% of their excess body weight in the first month after sleeve surgery.

You are 5' 8"

You have a normal BMI at 164 pound.

If you were 264 on the day of surgery, you could expect to lose 18 pounds your first month if you did as well as the average person who gets sleeve.

Each month after, you should expect to lose a little less than the preceding month.

You should lose weight for about 18 months IF you follow your plan and maintain a healthy diet and exercise.

Edited by Creekimp13

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

I drank it 4 ounces per hour as instructed....but I had no problem getting that volume in.

Yes, I could have overeaten and gained weight by week four if I were determined to.

The average person loses 18% of their excess body weight in the first month after sleeve surgery.

You are 5' 8"

If you were 264 on the day of surgery, you could expect to lose 18 pounds your first month if you did as well as the average person who gets sleeve.

Thanks for this. Nobody has said this to me. I asked this on several sites and everyone acted like I was crazy. I'm not trying to overeat but I hate that I feel like I can with no repercussions. I have not heard that most people lose 18% during their first month. The numbers out of the clinic I'm at are much higher. The people who had surgery with the same surgeon I did on the same day I did are describing very different experiences. They say they can only eat one or two bites of food and then they need to stop. They say they can barely get in 450-650 calories a day. If I'm normal than I'd love to hear that. So it's normal to not feel any different? To not feel full? To not throw up or have any issues eating anything? Thanks for your responses. I'm just frustrated and worried that I'm going to blow this opportunity.

1 minute ago, Shannon226 said:

Thanks for this. Nobody has said this to me. I asked this on several sites and everyone acted like I was crazy. I'm not trying to overeat but I hate that I feel like I can with no repercussions. I have not heard that most people lose 18% during their first month. The numbers out of the clinic I'm at are much higher. The people who had surgery with the same surgeon I did on the same day I did are describing very different experiences. They say they can only eat one or two bites of food and then they need to stop. They say they can barely get in 450-650 calories a day. If I'm normal than I'd love to hear that. So it's normal to not feel any different? To not feel full? To not throw up or have any issues eating anything? Thanks for your responses. I'm just frustrated and worried that I'm going to blow this opportunity.

7 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

You are 5' 8"

Do you mean 18% the first month? That's much more than 18 lbs in the first month. That would be more like 45 lbs.

Let's review.

18% of your EXCESS BODY WEIGHT.....meaning the weight you have to lose.

I understand you would like to weigh 145 pounds. But at 5' 8" you have a normal BMI at 164.

So your total amount of excess weight....is about 100 pounds.

18% of 100....is 18.

In 18 months...if you have an Average experience....you will lose about 70% of your excess body weight...or 70 pounds.

So....by June of 2019....you're looking at weighing around 194 pounds.

If you have an Average experience.

Some people lose more. Some lose less.

Adjusting your lifestyle habits is critical to your success. This is all readily availabe information on the net...and should have been disclosed to you by your surgeon.

Edited by Creekimp13

Let's review.

18% of your EXCESS BODY WEIGHT.....meaning the weight you have to lose.

I understand you would like to weigh 145 pounds. But at 5' 8" you have a normal BMI at 164.

So your total amount of excess weight....is about 100 pounds.

18% of 100....is 18.

In 18 months...if you have an Average experience....you will lose about 70% of your excess body weight...or 70 pounds.

So....by June of 2019....you're looking at weighing around 194 pounds.

If you have an Average experience.

Some people lose more. Some lose less.

I'm so happy you've decided not to be snarky.

Intending to be factual....not snarky. I get that you're upset.

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. So what about my other questions? Do you not feel any restriction or negative physical effect from eating too much or from certain foods? So many other people on my clinic's group page complain that they can barely eat anything. I'm not saying that I need to feel that way but why such a huge disparity in outcomes? And also, why would my clinic order an x-ray if I was just being paranoid? Are they just trying to shut me up?

They might just be trying to make you happy. Placating you with proof that nothing is wrong to put your mind at ease.

I'm two months out. Yes, I feel restriction after I eat about a cup of food. Less, if the food is fibrous (think steak and raw veggies) or carby (think Beans and bread).

"Slider" food like oatmeal and yogurt I could eat endlessly with no issues.

I can enjoy a couple of bites of sugary naughty desert......but if I continue, I'll feel nauseated like I need a big glass of Water. Not true dumping syndrome, but it makes me feel kinda gross.

They might just be trying to make you happy. Placating you with proof that nothing is wrong to put your mind at ease.

I'm two months out. Yes, I feel restriction after I eat about a cup of food. Less, if the food is fibrous (think steak and raw veggies) or carby (think Beans and bread).

"Slider" food like oatmeal and yogurt I could eat endlessly with no issues.

I can enjoy a couple of bites of sugary naughty desert......but if I continue, I'll feel nauseated like I need a big glass of Water. Not true dumping syndrome, but it makes me feel kinda gross.

I'm cool with being placated because I have none of the issues you mention. I don't feel any restriction eating steak, chicken, raw veggies, or Beans. I haven't eaten bread so I can't really speak to that. I have had a couple of cheat moments with some Girl Scout Cookies but felt no nausea. I'm pretty sure I could have eaten an entire box of cookies and felt nothing.

Best to get it checked out. Wishing you the best. Please let us know what you learn!

Edited by Creekimp13