Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 2/2-already able to eat!

Hey so I’ve been healing really well. I was sleeved 2/2 and I haven’t had any complications besides gas. I started walking immediately after surgery and had my first bm two days after surgery(sorry tmi!)

It’s great overall, but I can already hold down liquids and my Protein Shakes. I even had a small bite of an egg and was fine. I’m a little worried because of how easy it is for me to get my fluids in. I have also been feeling hungry very often. I just don’t want to mess up and not lose weight. I start to feel full after about 3-4 oz and then I stop for a few minutes and am able to drink again. But I’ve read a lot that many can’t even drink a lot after surgery?? Is this normal?? Looking for any support buddies!!

Hi, we are surgery date twins:) I'm on day four of my liquid diet. I am not able to eat or drink much. I feel the pain in my belly when I've had too much to drink which is usually less than 1/2 cup. My starting stats were: starting weight 365 lbs, day of surgery weight : 329 lbs. I don't own a scale so not sure of now :) I'm excited to start full fluids on Saturday. Especially to get to eat yogurt again. Lol the small wins

Sent from my SM-G955W using BariatricPal mobile app

I was supposed to be on Clear Liquids for a full week but my nutritionist allowed me to start Protein Shakes a little early due to healing so quickly and also my blood sugar was getting extremely low and I was almost passing out. After you start getting the pains how long do you stop before you start taking in more liquids? Do you feel hungry soon after or are you still full? Sorry for all the questions!

No i love having a surgery twin lol.
I just stop drinking when I get the pain for like 15-20 mins then try again. And I havnt felt hunger much. Like maybe once a day I will be like man I could eat now but for the most part I'm eating because it's what I need to do not because it's something I want to do. I try to eat like every three hours. Half cup of broth, half cup of Jello, or half cup of juice mixed with Water. And I try to drink water all day long. I don't think im getting enough water in but I try. My main issue right now is the Constipation. I'm hoping tomorrow will work in my favour since it's day three of stool softener meds. Sorry if tmi.

I'm curious about how you know you are healing well? I mean, I didn't have pain at all after the surgery (except for about ten minutes after waking up), but I don't really know what was going on inside my body--I assume my stomach was healing from the rather drastic change to it.

I'm just thinking that you should be careful not to do anything too soon--stick to the liquids and, when allowed, things like Jello or popsicles or yogurt; don't jump into solid foods before your program advises it. The first month or so is tough, but it really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. Stay safe!

I'm curious about how you know you are healing well? I mean, I didn't have pain at all after the surgery (except for about ten minutes after waking up), but I don't really know what was going on inside my body--I assume my stomach was healing from the rather drastic change to it.
I'm just thinking that you should be careful not to do anything too soon--stick to the liquids and, when allowed, things like Jello or popsicles or yogurt; don't jump into solid foods before your program advises it. The first month or so is tough, but it really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. Stay safe!

Healing well as in I’m not having any pain, no nausea and very little issues with gas and have already begun passing bms, etc. I understand your concern but I did check with the surgeon and nutritionist and they okayed me starting Protein Shakes a few days early.

No i love having a surgery twin lol.
I just stop drinking when I get the pain for like 15-20 mins then try again. And I havnt felt hunger much. Like maybe once a day I will be like man I could eat now but for the most part I'm eating because it's what I need to do not because it's something I want to do. I try to eat like every three hours. Half cup of broth, half cup of Jello, or half cup of juice mixed with Water. And I try to drink water all day long. I don't think im getting enough water in but I try. My main issue right now is the Constipation. I'm hoping tomorrow will work in my favour since it's day three of stool softener meds. Sorry if tmi.

I’m so sorry about your constipation! I’m lucky in that aspect that I haven’t had any issues with that. It’s definitely been an adjustment but I’m getting used to sipping! Have you been having any issues with dizziness and fatigue? I have noticed that since I’ve been on the pre op liquid diet!

Thanks so much for your concern and advice! I’m definitely staying on liquids for the full time- I am a little scared of going to solid food lol!

I’m so sorry about your constipation! I’m lucky in that aspect that I haven’t had any issues with that. It’s definitely been an adjustment but I’m getting used to sipping! Have you been having any issues with dizziness and fatigue? I have noticed that since I’ve been on the pre op liquid diet!

I have not had any dizziness but I am definitely tired.

We'r almost twinsies! I was sleeved on 2/1/18. I am so grateful that I can keep down my Protein and all my liquids. My only issues at this point is hunger pangs/pains and lack of bm since before surgery. I'm sure I'll overcome these challenges. I'm just so happy that I haven't experienced any nausea. I think finding this forum will be encouraging. I wish you and everyone continued success on this journey.

I wouldn't recommend going outside your food stages to even test. eggs are soft and easy to digest. But again, you are doing something really dangerous by eating solid foods less than 5 days out. Did your doctor not explain to you what has happened to your stomach and what can happen with your stitches and leaks??

I know it's hard but it's important to follow your protocol steps. You might be one of the lucky ones that never has problems digesting food. But if you are, and your stomach stitches/staples open, the contents of your stomach leak into your abdominal cavity and can cause months of ICU/hospital stays and death.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just worried that less than a week out from your surgery you are already breaking your protocol and it's a dangerous time for you.

I wouldn't recommend going outside your food stages to even test. eggs are soft and easy to digest. But again, you are doing something really dangerous by eating solid foods less than 5 days out. Did your doctor not explain to you what has happened to your stomach and what can happen with your stitches and leaks??

I know it's hard but it's important to follow your protocol steps. You might be one of the lucky ones that never has problems digesting food. But if you are, and your stomach stitches/staples open, the contents of your stomach leak into your abdominal cavity and can cause months of ICU/hospital stays and death.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just worried that less than a week out from your surgery you are already breaking your protocol and it's a dangerous time for you.

I’m not eating solid foods, it was a teeny tiny bite of an egg, not even a centimeter! I know I shouldn’t have and I’m definitely making sure to stick to full liquids only! I’m taking this seriously. I’ve been sticking to protocol and making sure to be in contact with the nutritionist and surgeon. I appreciate your concern

I am extremely scared of the possibility of leaks and freaked out for a full day after taking that bite of an egg, worried I would cause complications. Trust me, I am taking it very seriously.

I got sleeved on 2/2 as well! I am having a terrible time with my Protein Shakes. My tastes have all changed and all my Protein seems nauseating to me. I’ve been drinking Protein2O Water but it only has half the protein as a shake. Ugh!

On my program, we did clear fluids for 24 hours. If we tolerated them well, we progressed to Protein Shakes the next day. I had no problems.