Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much Protein are we supposed to have daily? I am going to force myself to drink some Protein Shake today. I haven't had any since pre op diet bc it was too sweet after. I got the Atkins shakes from Walmart does anyone know how many of those I would have to drink in one day to be at the right amount? I'm 10 days post op

How in the hell did your doc not go over this with you already!? Oi...

Daily goals (minimum) are 60 oz of Protein and 64 oz of Water. I like to have my protein more at 80g a day but that isn't as easy to do in the beginning. Invest in some better Protein Powder or drinks as well. The package should say how many grams of protein are in a single serving. Some of the premade stuff has a lot of empty calories/carbs. guessing the Atkins ones may not be so bad, though, but never used them.

There's a lot of debate on this, but a good rule of thumb is to keep it to no more than 30g of protein in a serving. The reason for the debate is that some studies show anything over 30g is basically wasted. Better to try and spread your protein out over the course of the day.

They did go over it with me it's on my papers at home I was wondering how much bc I was at store and was going to try and find some Protein powder or something. Any advice as to where to get some good powder and what kind?

If you like to drink a cup of coffee or Decaf in the morning, pick up some caramel flavor Premiere Protien shakes.

I use half a shake in my coffee ever morning and it tastes like a caramel latte. Really good. 80 calories for 15 grams of protien...ya can't beat it!

My nutritionist has our Protein goal set at 60-80g per day.

7 minutes ago, Keeks17 said:

They did go over it with me it's on my papers at home I was wondering how much bc I was at store and was going to try and find some Protein Powder or something. Any advice as to where to get some good powder and what kind?

Whew...lol. I've read some crazy stories on here where people got sent home with little to no info and it always amazes me that there are doctors out there that actually do that.

The store here sells quite a bit of Protein powders. I really, really love Unjury but it's pricey. Others are big fans of Premier. I often order my stuff off of Amazon. I use Body Fortress which isn't anything great but gets the job done.

If you like to drink a cup of coffee or Decaf in the morning, pick up some caramel flavor Premiere Protien shakes.
I use half a shake in my coffee ever morning and it tastes like a caramel latte. Really good. 80 calories for 15 grams of protien...ya can't beat it!

Where can I find this?

Just now, Creekimp13 said:

I really need to start doing this. I have to have some sort of Creamer or flavor added to my coffee so this would be a better substitute.

Whew...lol. I've read some crazy stories on here where people got sent home with little to no info and it always amazes me that there are doctors out there that actually do that.

The store here sells quite a bit of Protein powders. I really, really love Unjury but it's pricey. Others are big fans of Premier. I often order my stuff off of Amazon. I use Body Fortress which isn't anything great but gets the job done.

On my sheet I want to say after week 3 or 4 it says to stop the Protein Shakes (I could be wrong) but if that's the case I don't want to order online and have it get here a week before I'm not supposed to take anymore lol if you know what I mean

15 minutes ago, Keeks17 said:

On my sheet I want to say after week 3 or 4 it says to stop the Protein Shakes (I could be wrong) but if that's the case I don't want to order online and have it get here a week before I'm not supposed to take anymore lol if you know what I mean

I can see them wanting you to transition to getting most of your Protein from food sources, but to be honest I wasn't able to do that for the first few months. Doc wanted us to only do 3 meals a day and no Snacks. There simply was no way I could eat enough protein from lean meats to hit 60g/day. I had to do my 3 meals and supplement with a Protein Shake to get enough in.

There really is nothing wrong with continuing to use Protein Drinks long term. As I wanted to work more greens into my diet that meant I wouldn't be able to eat as much meat. For that trade-off I'd have a protein shake so that I could get more variety into my diet and still hit my daily goals.

My team (surgeon and nut) say no more than 1 Protein Shake per day once you get out about 3 months.
I look at it as I need to eat this way the rest of my life. So having a Protein shake for Breakfast is often my go to and I'd be happy with that for the foreseeable future. I like my shakes. I do chocolate Premier Protein plain or with some PB2 powder for on cup shake. I do vanilla with pb2 powder for more pure pb taste.
I don't have a shake everyday, but probably have 4 to 5 per week. Lately they have become my go to dinner when I do night workouts at gym.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Keeks17 said:

Where can I find this?

Most stores carry Premier Protein. Walmart does, here. If you can't find it by the diet shakes, try by the body building Protein. The Caramel flavor can be a little harder to find, but I've found it at Walmart and chain pharmacies here. Mostly, I buy it at Meijer.

I just picked Atkins shakes up from target.. how do the nutrition in these look? I'm really bad with that stuff lolImage1516995314.741989.jpg

It's ok. If you'd gotten Premier Protein, you'd get 30g of protien for 160 calories.....with Atkins you're getting half the Protein for the same number of calories. (and have to drink twice as much to hit your protein target)