Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Gastric Sleeve and I’m scared!

Hello everyone. I’m having my surgery for gastric sleeve on Jan 30th and i am absolutely terrified ! I’ve been going through the process for about 5 months now so I thought I would be prepared but now that the date it approaching I’m so scared!! I know it’s normal to feel scared about any kind of surgery. I guess I’m worried about feeling any kind of pain. I’ve heard of the gas pains you can get after surgery. I just want to get the actual surgery over with! I’m excited for the results down the line though :) I’m 5’4 and starting weight is 235lbs. I am 22 years young and I wanna live my life! My weight has definitely prevented me from doing so many things so of course I am excited to get sleeved. Just nervous about having the surgery. Thank you all for reading and any comments are welcomed but please be kind to one another ❤️ Would love some support and to hear anyone else’s stories.

Edited by KrystalRose
Wanted to add more detail

Many say it's like having done a few too many situps, most say the tenderness doesn't last all that long. Follow your d
octor's advice, get up soon after your surgery is over and walk often, that way you get rid of the gas sooner. I'm sure the veterans will be weighing,with advice also, I know I value all their stories too.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for the reply. I was told to make sure I get up and walk as soon as I’m able to do that I could help any gas pain I may have. I love hearing people’s stories so I’m looking forward to it :)

I remember the feeling of being so scared and nervous pre-op. For what it's worth - I'm only 2 months out and I don't even remember the pain from the first couple of days. Those days will be painful, but it'll likely be a blur. The rewards are so worth it! Good luck to you on the 30th!! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I know it's scary at first. But you're doing a great thing for yourself.

Hang out for a while and read more threads! You'll see there is plenty of good news coming your way.

Thank you both ! It definitely will be worth it ! Starting to feel better. Again thank you guys. This truly helps me and I will read more threads

1 hour ago, KrystalRose said:

Hello everyone. I’m having my surgery for gastric sleeve on Jan 30th and i am absolutely terrified ! I’ve been going through the process for about 5 months now so I thought I would be prepared but now that the date it approaching I’m so scared!! I know it’s normal to feel scared about any kind of surgery. I guess I’m worried about feeling any kind of pain. I’ve heard of the gas pains you can get after surgery. I just want to get the actual surgery over with! I’m excited for the results down the line though :) I’m 5’4 and starting weight is 235lbs. I am 22 years young and I wanna live my life! My weight has definitely prevented me from doing so many things so of course I am excited to get sleeved. Just nervous about having the surgery. Thank you all for reading and any comments are welcomed but please be kind to one another ❤️ Would love some support and to hear anyone else’s stories.

I love meeting young sleevers! I am 23 and my highest weight was 230. I am still in my 6 month diet mandated by my insurance but I am hoping to have surgery in late April or May.

Just remember that there will be plenty of pain meds to keep you comfortable...don’t be stubborn and tell them you’re fine when you’re not!

And walking HELPS gas and speeds up recovery. My mom had a blood clot in her leg and multiple pulmonary embolisms in April of last year so that fear is in the back of my mind. But I trust my doctors and will do everything they tell me to. Go into surgery thinking positive!!

9 minutes ago, Jerseygirl4523 said:

I love meeting young sleevers! I am 23 and my highest weight was 230. I am still in my 6 month diet mandated by my insurance but I am hoping to have surgery in late April or May.

Just remember that there will be plenty of pain meds to keep you comfortable...don’t be stubborn and tell them you’re fine when you’re not!

And walking HELPS gas and speeds up recovery. My mom had a blood clot in her leg and multiple pulmonary embolisms in April of last year so that fear is in the back of my mind. But I trust my doctors and will do everything they tell me to. Go into surgery thinking positive!!

You are absolutely right!!! And I love meeting young sleevers myself!! Feels good to have someone your own age that is going through the same thing as you. Although I love all the advice I’m getting from all ages! I will go into this being positive. I had a moment of weakness last week and almost chickened our but I kept telling myself this is gonna be so worth it in the end. I’ve been over weight almost all my life and I can’t even remember the last time I was under 200lbs so I can’t wait for that day. Thank you so much for the response and good luck to you on your journey I hope you get your surgery date soon!!

Macky, my Bari-friend in Cleveland is about your age and is going to be sleeved next week. And Primrose, who won't be done until about March, my month is also a "youngen" like you. Boy sometimes I wish I'd had surgery before my body got so broke down but then I remember there's spunk and life force in this old gal and it keeps me moving towards the prize. My surgeon has a wall of success where he puts your before, after and a brief story of your journey. I'm gonna be there someday!

No pain from surgery at all. Zero, zip, nada. Go slow on the food and you will be good to go.

1 hour ago, kakatlady612 said:

Macky, my Bari-friend in Cleveland is about your age and is going to be sleeved next week. And Primrose, who won't be done until about March, my month is also a "youngen" like you. Boy sometimes I wish I'd had surgery before my body got so broke down but then I remember there's spunk and life force in this old gal and it keeps me moving towards the prize. My surgeon has a wall of success where he puts your before, after and a brief story of your journey. I'm gonna be there someday!

Hahaha yes!! Look doesn’t matter when or where you started as long as you started it ! We saw the problem and we’re fixing it. I know many older women who still have spunk! Keep your eye on that prize. Everything is going to be worth it in the end and when you do get your before and after photos please share them with me no matter how far down the after is ;) good luck with everything. You got this!

19 minutes ago, DaleAnn said:

No pain from surgery at all. Zero, zip, nada. Go slow on the food and you will be good to go.

Thank you! Good to hear that :) I definitely will make sure I go slow on the food when I’m able to eat. Thanks for the advice

Ask your surgeon how they manage pain. I am young (28) and have a high pain tolerance. I ended up with six incisions, one about 4 inches, and all I was given in the hospital was Tylenol. I have several doctors and nurses in my family and they were shocked. I was unable to even stand to use the restroom without crying. This really hindered me from getting up and walking after surgery, which is recommended to speed the healing process. Within about 4 days the pain diminished and Tylenol was more than enough. However, I do wish I went to a different hospital where my post-op pain would have been treated better.

I know it’s not the same but I just had my gallbladder out and I’ve been told the pain is similar. For the gallbladder, the gas pain was the worst, but anytime I felt it coming on, I would get up and move. My stomach was sore, especially at the belly button, but nothing compared to the gas. All of my stomach pain went away in about two days, except for the big incision near my belly button. That pain lasted for about a week, but wasn’t terrible. I actually work from home and I was up and answering emails the day after my surgery. That gives me hope for my sleeve. My goal is to have the surgery on a Friday and be back to work on Monday. (Like I said though, I work from home so I can take breaks as needed).

22 hours ago, KrystalRose said:

You got this! I was scheduled for surgery on May 30, 2017. I backed out at the last minute and regretted that decision up until the time that I had surgery last Thursday January 18th. Just follow your preop diet instructions and follow the doctors instructions. You’ll do great!