Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question on Feelings of hunger

I have not dabbled on the post surgery side of this forum too much. I am still pre surgical and still trying to decide between the sleeve and by pass though i may be over thinking it too much. I dont have reflux or GERD, i do have type 2 diabetes but it is fairly well controlled and for me at least very much weight related so either procedure should help in that department (also read an interesting study on which procedure is better for diabetes yesterday and long term they are showing it is actually pretty even). I have Hypertension and cholesterol issues but either procedure should help with both of those. So for me so far it seems pretty even, until i read that the removal of the stomach section not included in the sleeve helps alleviate the sensation of hunger, which is a HUGE problem for me. I am constantly feeling hungry, I can easily sit down to a 1 pound steak with veggies, some shrimp and a large potato and then throw back a dessert and not long after still feel peckish.

So my question for you that have had the by pass, even though you still maintain the stomach do you still have that sensation of feeling hungry, or because the stomach in large part is not being used to process food does the sensation stop because of the small pouch?

I worry about having a small pouch if i still have the sensation of wanting to eat and feeling hungry down the road. im also a little concerned about being stuck to my source of hydration if i only have a 30 to 50 cc stomach pouch, where as the sleeve at least gives 50 - 90 cc. I understand sipping sipping sipping, but im thinking long term, months or even years after surgery. I have no trouble with hydration right now, on a low day im still hitting 64oz and if im active i may go closed to 128oz in a day of just Water, but it certainly isnt sipping that much i may currently drink 8oz at a time

Thanks for the help, i figure best to ask those that know and have actually had the surgery, and yes i will also be discussing it with my surgeon when the time comes.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery around 5 years ago. I found that after surgery I completely lost my hunger. It wasn't difficult to drop 120 pounds when hunger was not constantly continually gnawing at my bones. About a year after surgery, hunger returned but it was not as strong as pre surgery. If you have GERD, it is probably better to have gastric bypass over sleeve because sleeve surgery will only make this condition worse.

Thanks James for the honesty, So often we are afraid to admit that urges may return but it is nice to know it was manageable. No GERD here that is one reason this is such a hard decision.

im 300lbs right now but im hoping to get down to 185lbs when it is all said and done so i can get more active again, back into rugby and competitive shooting.

I do occasionally get hungry however it is nothing like before surgery. I do not yet crave the foods that caused me to be obese. If this is due to me sticking to the diet, being more low carb, or being free from most artificial sweeteners I don’t really have the answer for that.

In the beginning with either surgery you may have an issue getting ideal Fluid intake in, so I don’t know that I would base my decision upon that personally.

As someone that started over 300 pounds as well, you need to seriously consider giving bypass the consideration. I’m sure either would work but I was surprised at the number of ppl that were receiving sleeves in my pre op class. I was the only bypass patient and was not the highest BMI.

Everyone is different and you have to choose with what you are comfortable doing to your body. I’m almost two months out. I’ve had no complications. I’ve never even vomited. I’m not sure if I’m in the majority or just have an Iron stomach. I followed my post op advancement to the letter and things have gone smoothly.

‘Good luck whatever you decide.

I am almost 2 months post op and I’m not very hungry at all. There are days where I down right don’t want to eat (have a sort of slight nausea). When I do want to eat it is very little. The though of sweets makes me gag. Even my pre op favorite popcorn and butter is only sometimes appealing. My taste has changed too. I crave lighter, juicier and more acidic foods. Think salad, watermelon, Tomato Soup. Before I loved cream sauces, heavy starches and ice cream.

Surgery 11/27/17 height 5’6”
HW: 227
SW: 221
CW: 192
GW: 130

Thanks Kim, i too have an Iron stomach but i also follow instructions to the T as you do.

I guess it is going to be lots of changes from the food i eat to how i eat it down to how i drink, as i mentioned i could easily chug 250 ml of Water right now and feel comfortable, i will even down a 20oz bottle of water without a second thought i think that is why i have no problem with the 80oz my program wants me to get up to right now, just the idea that 6 months after surgery i wont be able to take a good deep refreshing drink kind of messes with my mind.

Thanks again for the reply.

2 minutes ago, heatherjudson said:

Think salad, watermelon, Tomato Soup. Before I loved cream sauces, heavy starches and ice cream.

oh breads are going to be a big one for me post op, i can be a bit of a 'bread *****' as my daughter puts it, i will do anything for some warm crusty bread with butter on it. So hopefully that taste will change for me. I can throw back a pint of ice cream and love a good cream sauce on Pasta but found that pasta is something that can trigger some higher blood sugars.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you considering the normal side effects of each surgery? Since it sounds like GERD is not a concern, what are your thoughts on dumping syndrome and malabsorption? They'll either be a pro or a con of bypass depending on your point of view. My bmi wasn't as high but I also had the choice between either and went with the sleeve. I'm just a week post-op but things are going well...getting in my liquids just fine now; first few days were a chore. Best of luck in whatever you choose!

My cravings are still around - and have been since my first week post-op. Now, cravings are very different from hunger....so I have had to do a LOT of head work to figure out the difference. True hunger I would say didn't return until around 9 months out for me.

Going in to my surgery I read all of the stories about people who couldn't tolerate sweets, got sick from 'bad' foods, tastes changed and they now craved healthy foods etc. I was so excited for that! But, truth is that has not been my journey. I very much still love carbs, sweets, fatty foods, processed foods and still don't really like most veggies and fruits. And I haven't gotten sick from anything...no dumping, no nausea. But, I force myself to eat the healthy stuff and stay away from the junk (as much as possible). Now that I have detoxed from all of the processed stuff and lost a significant amount of weight it is much easier to resist the crap. I don't want to say this to scare anyone but just to be honest. I would absolutely have RnY again in a heartbeat and it has literally given me my life back. But, I have had to use my willpower a lot more than I ever expected pre-surgery.

22 minutes ago, VSGnewguy said:

Are you considering the normal side effects of each surgery? Since it sounds like GERD is not a concern, what are your thoughts on dumping syndrome and malabsorption?

And these are two more reasons im a little worried about RNY.

While it seems i could loose a little more than the sleeve i also think that is just the stats and i have to wonder where i think i will fall in those stats, i want to believe i am going to crush this new lifestyle and i will be one of those that defy the odds to lose 80% of my excess weight with a sleeve rather than the typical 65%.

thanks for the response.

Edited by Down South Aussie

15 minutes ago, Sadiebug said:

My cravings are still around - and have been since my first week post-op. Now, cravings are very different from hunger....so I have had to do a LOT of head work to figure out the difference. True hunger I would say didn't return until around 9 months out for me.

Going in to my surgery I read all of the stories about people who couldn't tolerate sweets, got sick from 'bad' foods, tastes changed and they now craved healthy foods etc. I was so excited for that! But, truth is that has not been my journey. I very much still love carbs, sweets, fatty foods, processed foods and still don't really like most veggies and fruits. And I haven't gotten sick from anything...no dumping, no nausea. But, I force myself to eat the healthy stuff and stay away from the junk (as much as possible). Now that I have detoxed from all of the processed stuff and lost a significant amount of weight it is much easier to resist the crap. I don't want to say this to scare anyone but just to be honest. I would absolutely have RnY again in a heartbeat and it has literally given me my life back. But, I have had to use my willpower a lot more than I ever expected pre-surgery.

SadieBug, thanks so much for the honesty. I know there is still going to be a segment of will power in this process and re wiring my thinking. I think the Detox part is going to be big for me.

2 hours ago, Down South Aussie said:

even though you still maintain the stomach do you still have that sensation of feeling hungry, or because the stomach in large part is not being used to process food does the sensation stop because of the small pouch?

Well, I exercise hard 28 or 29 days per month. My body begs for more "fuel" (i.e. food) OFTEN.

I eat but only have room for 50 grams to 110 grams depending on texture/density.

I think I am hungry but I just have nowhere to put it WITHOUT PAIN or the risk of vomiting it back.

Thanks to my gastric sleeve op, I have the power to say no EASILY.

12 minutes ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Well, I exercise hard 28 or 29 days per month. My body begs for more "fuel" (i.e. food) OFTEN.

I eat but only have room for 50 grams to 110 grams depending on texture/density.

I think I am hungry but I just have nowhere to put it WITHOUT PAIN or the risk of vomiting it back.

Thanks to my gastric sleeve op, I have the power to say no EASILY.

Thanks Rainbow warrior. That is part of my concern with the RNY, i want to get back into more exercise and i cant get through my mind having a teeny tiny pouch and making that happen.

Which part of NSW are you in? i grew up on the Northern beaches of Sydney and my parents have since retired just outside of Gosford. Also spent many a summer driving up to Armidale where both my parents are from. Living in the US now though.

Edited by Down South Aussie

1 minute ago, Down South Aussie said:

Which part of NSW are you in?

In my signature IN RED after "Rainbow_Warrior", it tells you.

I still have cravings and bread with butter is one of them. So yes, I have cheated on that but really it is thumb sized piece of bread and I do like the nutritionist said and really give myself the time to enjoy it. When I do that - all is well with the world. At this point, I couldn't eat more than thumb sized anyway. I also get hungry but nothing like before surgery - thank God. The cravings are head games that you have to win.