Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Single and Alone and about to be banded...

I am being banded on 10/29/07 and would like some tips on what I will need for myself after my friends get back to their lives...I will most likely only have help the first week and need to prep myself so I can do all the shopping, clean my apartment and rent enough movies so I am occupied while I get better, so...

1) How long did it take most of you to get back to work? I have short term disability and I will most likely stay home for as long as the doctor says it's O.K, but what's the average?

2) How long before your energy level is back up and normal?

3) Did most of you get constipated? I am worried about this because I can't imagine not being regular...I have never had issues in this department?

4) How soon before it is comfortable to have sex?

5) I weigh 235lbs and my goal is 135lbs, does this mean I will need surgery to tighten things up when I get to my goal? Don't think I will be in a position to afford this since my surgery is self pay until Cigna decided to if they will pay...

Thanks in advance for your help...

I'm also single and live alone. My best friend came in for the surgery which was Friday 10/19 and she left Tuesday morning 10/23. Each person will be different, but here's what I've experienced and been told by my doctor:

1) I offically took off Friday, Mon & Tuesday and am working from home Wed - Friday. SOme people will spring back sooner, but I'm going to continue to work from home this week.

2) Energy Level - I'm good now for about 1/2 - 3/4 of the day. Make sure you get in your liquids and Protein shakes that definitely helps. I've also started walking more each day. I've been taking naps in the afternoon and am careful not to push it - it's laproscopic, but it's still surgery. Today I was a little dizzy - not sure what's up with that, perhaps it's a signal to try not to do so much.

3) I was constipated for about 2 days now everything is normal. The doctor recommends Milk of Magnesium to get things started if need be. Again, the liquids are extremely important here.

4) My surgery book from the doctor says 2 weeks for sex.

5) Plastic surgery - again, each of us will be unique. I think the best way to avoid having to have a Tummy Tuck or anything else is to lose slowly, exercise while losing, and drink lots of Water. I'm going to mentally keep it as an option, but we won't know until we get there!

Heavy stuff - stock up on anything heavy - liquid drinks, slimfasts, etc. You will be instructed not to lift beyond 5 - 10lbs for 2 weeks. And if you push it - it WILL hurt.

Good luck! I'm 5 days out and haven't experienced as much difficulty as others. Just take it slow. Better plan for more time and not have to need it then push yourself and possibly cause longer term issues.

I was banded on 10-2. I am also single and live alone. My mom went to Mexico with me for the surgery, but no one stayed with me when I got home, although all my family members are close by. I stocked up on food, Soups, slim fast, juice, etc before surgery so I wouldnt have to go to the grocery store, but I ended up running to the store a couple of times anyway the first week, didn't have any problem lifting anything.

I took 3 weeks off work, not because I thought I'd need it but because I could. Just started back to work yesterday, and while the time off was nice, it was also good to get back to work. I could have gone back after 10 days and been just fine.

Energy level took 2+ weeks to get back to normal, I'm now counting the days till I can hit the gym for a really hard workout, getting bored with just walking.

Slightly constipated for a couple of days probably a week after surgery. Took Milk of Magnesia which alleviated problem very quickly and painlessly.

My doc said 3 weeks for sex. Haven't put that to the test yet.

Surgery after weight loss appears to be a very individual thing, so I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Good luck!!!!

Hi! I am also single and live alone. I went to Mexico for the surgery alone and recovered at home alone. I really had no problems. I took off for three weeks after surgery and i am glad i did. Gave me time to get used to my band and heal. I weighed 237 at the time of surgery and have lost 38 pounds so far. It does not look like i am going to need any PS. No sagging skin yet and i don`t have any strecth marks so i am hoping for the best. Good luck and welcome to the site. Donna

I too live alone and the advice here is basically what I did -- stock up in advance. I flew to Mexico on a Wednesday, had the surgery on Thursday, stayed overnight at the surgical center and another night in the hotel and flew back on Saturday. I spent Saturday night and Sunday with my sister and back to work on Monday. It was hard to work a full day; I got tired. I think 10 days is about the perfect total recovery.

My doc said no sex for 6 weeks and I made it about a month -- I recommend more "careful" and "conventional' sex for the first 6 weeks then go crazy! I've had no pain at my port during sex whatsoever although last night I had dinner with my BF and I was feeling a bit stuck but not to the point of PB. Well, we were being frisky and it was harder for me to get in the mood while feeling like I had a golf ball lodged in my chest!

Really, you're up and walking the day of surgery. The key for any surgery is to talk as much as possible without overdoing. I had a hysterectomy in 2001 and I know walking was a key part of my recovery.

Good luck to you!

1) How long did it take most of you to get back to work?

I was banded on a Wednesday and went back to work the following Tuesday.

About 3-4 weeks.

3) Did most of you get constipated? Yes, I would think so. Just get some stool softener at the drug store to keep on hand.

5) I weigh 235lbs and my goal is 135lbs, does this mean I will need surgery to tighten things up when I get to my goal? Depends on your age and genetics. I was 218 (225 was my top weight) and my goal is 150. So far the one thing I see not going away is a case of turkey neck, but that also has to do with my age. Everything else isn't doing too badly. I am about 20 pounds from goal now. Might have a little Lipo on thighs when I get to goal. We'll see....

Just wanted to say, dont panic it will be fine, and most of all GOOD LUCK!!!! Cant answer any of the other questions cos I only got it done a week ago but I went shopping yesterday :eek:

Nina x

1) How long did it take most of you to get back to work? I have short term disability and I will most likely stay home for as long as the doctor says it's O.K, but what's the average?

I don't work out of the home, but I would have needed a full week to have taken off.

Today is day 13, and the first that I can say I feel great. Just took a mile & a half walk.

3) Did most of you get constipated? I am worried about this because I can't imagine not being regular...I have never had issues in this department?

The opposite of constipated....Yikes!!

Getting better, but glad I'm near a bathroom at all times....LOL

4) How soon before it is comfortable to have sex?

Had sex yesterday (day 12), no issues:)!

5) I weigh 235lbs and my goal is 135lbs, does this mean I will need surgery to tighten things up when I get to my goal? Don't think I will be in a position to afford this since my surgery is self pay until Cigna decided to if they will pay...

I went self pay, cause Ins wouldn't pay. Start 200lbs, day 13 188, goal 125.

I was in pain A LOT the first 4 days, I watched A LOT of movies....Didn't have much help, the hubby got banded with me on the same day - so we were a sight. Lots of Soups, ice pops, Jello and you should be good.

Best of luck!, I did not find this forum till last week.