Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month out, feel like I'm starting over

I'm about a month out, and all of a sudden I'm feeling like I'm back at week 1.

The first week post-op was a little rocky, but I gradually started approaching my Fluid and supplement goals. At my one month check-up (1/3), I got the thumbs up from my NUT, despite hardly eating (maybe a tablespoon or 2 every other day?) because I was gradually improving. Then, just like that, like literally hours after leaving her office, I took a huge step back. I started experiencing generalized nausea that makes drinking difficult and eating near impossible (I've only had a few crackers with cottage cheese over the last week.) At first I thought I had tried a food or supplement that didn't agree with me, but symptoms still haven't improved since cutting everything out. I'm not so bad that I'm in pain, or throwing up, but EVERYTHING makes me gag. Just thinking about food can make me gag. I called in a script for anti-nausea meds, which has helped me stop gagging all the time. But I'm still not eating. My stomach feels TIGHTER than it did 2 weeks ago, I can't drink as much. Nothing has improved.

I honestly just want to put some calories in my body so badly. I am so tired, weak and I can't hardly think straight. I'm trying not to freak out, but it's been a week and a half of NO improvement. I feel like I'm never going to get better.

I'm calling my doctor office Tuesday, but what can they even do to help? I feel 'kinda sick' and 'don't want to eat' so? I read stories on here of people that have it so much worse, and I'm so sorry if this seems petty or whiny. But I really am freaking out. Have any of you experienced anything like this? tell me it's going to get better! What can I do?

Edited by genericwlshandle
clarity

They can do a LOT to help. They can investigate what's going on and try to correct it. What you are describing is not normal. Keep communicating with them. Document everything and give them all the information you can.

When I go to see my nutritionist, she goes over my food journal with a fine toothed comb and insists that I eat well. She has done this since week two...when she encouraged me to try to reach 1000 calories a day as soon as possible. (which I did at three weeks).

I was sleeved 12/5....the day before you were. I am eating 1000-1200 calories a day, walking 7 miles a day, and eating a nearly normal unrestricted diet. I feel normal, healthy and really good. Not saying that to be insensitive...just wanting to illustrate how concerned I am about your situation.

I am shocked to see reports like yours...where your nutrition has been allowed to suffer for so long. This absolutely would not stand at the medical group I go to. They would be extremely concerned and doing aggressive diagnostics to address the symptoms.

Please document everything. Keep good records. If your office won't help you, take your records to another group and get a second opinion.

Am so sorry you're going through this, and hope you feel better soon. Stay strong.

Edited by Creekimp13

@Creekimp13 Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply! I hear so much about ups and downs and struggles and such, that it's hard to know if what I'm experiencing is "normal" or not. I am going to follow up with my Doc when I can, Tuesday, and hope that helps. Trying to keep my spirits up in the meantime.

Hon, you MUST push for yourself!! Get them to do something or like was said go to another Baritric Dr. You are not getting enough Protein and fluids to keep you going. Have the check for Strictures. It is kind of like scar tissue and it makes it hard to eat or drink and then to keep it down. Keep eating what you can tolerate and please get more fluids down It only takes a short amount of time to getn dehydrated. It amazes me that your Nutritionist gave you a thumb up. This is NOT OK!!! And of course you are weak and doing horrible. Or bodies are not made to get what it needs to function. n I am really sorry that this has happened to you. Like I said PUSH for your right to get well!! I hope you feel better soon.

8 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

They can do a LOT to help. They can investigate what's going on and try to correct it. What you are describing is not normal. Keep communicating with them. Document everything and give them all the information you can.

When I go to see my nutritionist, she goes over my food journal with a fine toothed comb and insists that I eat well. She has done this since week two...when she encouraged me to try to reach 1000 calories a day as soon as possible. (which I did at three weeks).

I was sleeved 12/5....the day before you were. I am eating 1000-1200 calories a day, walking 7 miles a day, and eating a nearly normal unrestricted diet. I feel normal, healthy and really good. Not saying that to be insensitive...just wanting to illustrate how concerned I am about your situation.

I am shocked to see reports like yours...where your nutrition has been allowed to suffer for so long. This absolutely would not stand at the medical group I go to. They would be extremely concerned and doing aggressive diagnostics to address the symptoms.

Please document everything. Keep good records. If your office won't help you, take your records to another group and get a second opinion.

Am so sorry you're going through this, and hope you feel better soon. Stay strong.

Oh thank goodness. I wasn’t told how many calories to have, just to have 60 - 80 g of Protein. I started with MyFitnessPal yesterday and I’m getting about 900 cal a day. I was thinking that was too much!

UPDATE thanks again for your comments and, especially to @shedo82773 for the PUSH I needed to push for myself :)

I went to the ER yesterday (at my surgical nurse's direction) to get a whole lot of IV bags put in, and I made sure I was very clear and direct with my surgical team about my struggles when they came to talk to me. The possibility of strictures came up, and I have a follow up to do more exploratory examinations. So I'm not totally fixed yet, but i feel SO MUCH BETTER. Thank you!!