Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Surgery Post Op

It's super individual. Some people struggle...others do really well.

Can only speak for my own experience.....which was amazing. Sleeve was very easy for me.

Hardest part (for me) was the two week presurgical diet, and waiting for food reintroduction. I was hungry. People say this weird thing "it was just head hunger." NO, I WAS HUNGRY. When you starve on very few calories for a couple of weeks, and you feel weak and tired and foggy your hunger isn't in your head....it's whole body real hunger. Maybe the realest hunger I've ever experienced. Wasn't fun.

When I woke up from surgery in recovery, I had pretty bad pain in my shoulder and neck. I thought this was gas...but later learned that I'd had a hiatal hernia repaired and the pain was likely deferred pain from the hernia being fixed.

As soon as I got to my room, I asked to walk. Had no problem getting up, using the restroom, or walking around. Balance was good, felt steady, and the pain in abdomen was very minimal. They cleared me right away to walk by myself.

Spent the rest of the day drinking one ounce of Fluid at a time out of little teeny medicine cups. Sucked on the lung clearing device. Took a walk around the ward every hour. Communicated with friends and family that I was alive, had some visitors....felt good.

Woke up the next day, took a shower, washed my hair and blew it dry, put on make up and street clothes. Wanted the doctor to kick me out as soon as possible...so I drank my little cups, went for my walks and did everything I was supposed to do. I Got to go home shortly after he saw me.

I had no nausea. None. Never vomited, and never thought I might. I was most shocked by this. They gave us really good anti-nausea meds.

Took one dose of oral narcotic pain meds the first night I was home...to get a good night's sleep. Never needed them again. Did great on liquid Tylenol.

Compared to a lot of other people, I had a very easy time getting fluids down and progressing through food stages. I really haven't had many problems. I have been suprised at how easy things have been and how well I'm adapting to my new lifestyle.

As far as the surgery goes...I have had more pain and dysfunction, and longer recovery......from a dental procedure.

I hope you draw the easy card. I'm incredibly grateful I did.

I’ve found the whole thing to be a struggle, honestly, in terms of not being able to eat whatever I want. The pre-op Diet was definitely the worst, but only because I was starving the whole time. After the surgery, it was just walking through a grocery store and being pissed off about not being able to eat the foods I was looking at rather than walking through a grocery store and being pissed off about not being able to eat the foods I was looking at rather AND being starving.

The results have been impressive, but I got down to this weight using Saxenda two years ago without so many food restrictions (and then the medication quit working, and then I put it back on, but that’s another story...). It’s been a mixed bag so far.

I am 5 days out and feeling pretty good! First 3 days were tough for me, but manageable. I was a conversion from a band so that could impact things. I'm just a tad sore now and mainly my biggest issue is shoulder pain. It seems little better today but it's been the most painful part for me.

It definitely varies a lot between individuals. In pre-op I talked to folks who were doing the surgery and then was on the floor with them afterwards. Most did pretty well at least at that stage. I don't think its a super painful proceedure and most of the issues have to do with getting fluids and nutrition VS standard pain management.

For me the procedure itself was fine, recovery room wasn't very fun (is it ever?), lots of pain that they struggled to control for a bit. On the floor I was doing ok and was up and walking very quickly, though had a lot of pain. They had to double the pain meds (I have a naturally high tolerance for them apparently). I had the hernia repair, which they say makes recovery WAY worse. I was set to go home after 1 night, but started to have stomach spasms (dry heaves) that were extremely painful and they kept me another night. I struggled with Protein Shakes because they were too thick and got stuck.

The first night home was VERY rough. I couldn't get comfortable, couldn't do much Water or Protein and worse my pain pills weren't doing anything. Early in the morning I called the DR and they told me to get to the ER, I also had a very elevated pulse (200+) so went there via ambulance. I stayed another few nights in the hospital and eventually was doing MUCH better. The issue was that I was so swollen (probably from the hernia repair) that I couldn't get pain meds down and the intense pain and heaving caused a high heart rate (had a full work up and luckily don't have any heart issues). I actually think the extra hospital time helped a ton, I got lots of fluids and some nutrition and left in great shape. Things got a LOT better after that and now almost 5 weeks out I'm knocking on 40 lbs down and feel great.

It is a lot of work though. Constantly drinking, eating small amounts, etc. You really have to be mindful because at least for me if I eat wrong or drink too quickly I'm in a world of pain. It's tough to argue with the results though!