Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been scheduled to have the operation on the 29th of this month and saw the sergeant today, he reassured me that it is really safe. On the other hand I have been talking to people and I have been getting mixed feelings, some told me that you will never ever be able drink alcohol, never never be able to drink (any drink) and eat at the same time, some said I am not big enough to have the surgery (by pass). I am 159 cm and 105 kg.

I am really scared now and really wondering if I am never going to be enjoying the things I enjoyed before or am I going to become someone else.

Has anyone else these kind of mixed emotions like this before the operation???

Can't speak for everyone, but I know I did. Had my surgery 12/5. Feeling great, eating well, no regrets:)

Yes, you can eventually have alcohol (in moderation) again. I brought alcohol back in around 3 months post-op. I strictly adhered to the 30 minutes before and after eating no drinking rule for at least a year post-op. I've relaxed that somewhat now, especially if I am eating out, but generally, I can't drink that much while I am eating without feeling bad. So, I more or less adhere to that, but I do have a sip here and a sip there.

It is normal to have reservations. This is a big change. But there comes a time when you have to decide what is more important -- your health or these other things (certain foods and drinks, routines, etc.).

I just bought a new pair of slim fit jeans in a 31X32 and a beautiful cashmere sweater size small. That means SO MUCH MORE TO ME than any food, drink or routine! :)

Good luck!

One of the reasons we have this op is to change our lives to make them better, healthier and happier, so there will be big changes, there will be things that are different and you very well may be a different person. However, I absolutely love the person that I now am. I love how I feel physically and mentally and I love the clothes I can now wear and I can't believe just how unhappy I was before. I am nearly 3 years out, I can eat pretty much anything if I chose to but in small portions - although I love how I am no longer a slave to all the crap I was eating before - I am not a big drinker but I do have the occasional alcoholic drink. I do still find it a bit of a struggle with not being able to drink and eat at the same time but its a very very minor issue. Having the op was the BEST decision I have ever made. Thats not to say there haven't been challenges, you have to work at it you still have to chose the right foods, you still need to exercise, there will be some things you miss and you may encounter stalls, but OMG the rewards from this journey just don't compare to anything you might have to give up or change. You will always find negative people and people for who it has not gone as they hoped. Don't be drawn into the negative or the what ifs, look at this as an exciting journey to an amazing new you, go into it with your head high and your determination strong. Good luck with everything and if you have any questions I'm more than happy to be a support.

The first few weeks drinking any liquid has to be slow and careful, you are healing and this takes time. I am nearly 3 months out and can take pretty good sized gulps now. Prior to surgery, I really worried about how in the heck will I eat without drinking liquids? - but it was mostly all in my head, it's not that big of a deal, and I drink up to 15 minutes before eating solid food. The first few weeks before solids don't worry about that rule of waiting - you will need every ounce of liquids you can get down.

I had one sip of champagne on NYE and it was fine. I also had half a glass of wine a week ago and it was also fine. I am however not much of a drinker anyway, and it isn't a lifestyle to aspire to when getting healthy is your goal. YOU have to decide what is most important to your well being - food and alcohol or the chance to have a healthy body that will support you for years to come. We all have the fear of the unknown, don't let that keep you from making important decisions.

Edited by Sosewsue61

I'm 4 and 1/2 years out and I have had wine. Be aware it hits pretty fast!!! But the buzz goes fast too. I was notice I said was!! A COORS light BEER drinker but...I don't do carbonation still to this day. Call me a chicken its ok I call myself a chicken too. One day I was down town with my daughter and grandson...who NEVER drinks after anyone!! I had a killer head ache so I ask him if I could use his Moutain Dew to take Tylenol with. I barely wet my tongue just enough to get er down and my stomach hurt like well you know what I am talking about. That was enough for me!! It set my stomach on fire and I felt so bloated, not worth it at all!! But I would say we all pick and choose what we want and what we don't. You are a grown up and you can make your own decisions. Good Luck on your continued journey!!