Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizziness 2 months out

Since surgery on 11/13, I've had moments of dizziness. Usually it happens if I bend over or squat down to do something; when I stand back up my legs get that "static TV" feeling and I get pretty dizzy for 5-10 seconds.

Today, I did a yoga video (note: I've never done yoga before) and I got dizzier and dizzier, especially after stretches that locked my legs. At one point, I went from lying down to a sitting up move, and I got so dizzy I felt like I was going to fall over. It's the kind of dizzy like after you've been drinking, and you lay down in bed, the room spins, everything. The last dizzy spell left me feeling nauseous and just terrible for about an hour.

I definitely should have stopped the DVD when I started getting a little dizzy, but I'm stubborn.

Has anyone else had dizziness like this? I have had about 60 ounces of liquid before my video, and I take my Vitamins religiously. I am contacting the surgeon tomorrow am.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

I too am having this same issue. It is mostly when going from laying/sitting to standing. I am 4 months post op. I was told to keep up the Fluid intake. But the reason being that my bloodpressure has come down so much since surgery my body is having a hard time adjusting. And with the bp being so low it takes longer for the circulation. Then i get dizzy. So i was told to take it slow when changing positions give myself time to adjust. So i dont have an answer to fix it. But i feel your pain. You are not alone.

I will update with anything I learn, but that makes sense logically. And is far less scary than the scenarios my mind was racing towards! Thanks for responding.

Low blood pressure or blood sugar?

I'm sorry this is happening to you. You don't deserve it. However, it's very common. By chance, are you on a blood pressure lowering medication? If so, it's time to talk to whoever prescribed that for you to have it adjusted. I took a low dose blood pressure lowering medication until about six weeks after surgery. I've been off it ever since. Good luck! You are not alone.

13 hours ago, Sqkysphnctr said:

I will update with anything I learn, but that makes sense logically. And is far less scary than the scenarios my mind was racing towards! Thanks for responding.

Highly likely that it is something simple like a blood pressured drop due to getting up too quickly or other activities. I would get it when I was overweight and still get it from time to time now. It's a pretty common thing even for people with normal blood pressure (including myself).

Edited by orionburn

What is your electrolyte intake like? I was getting dizziness from dehydration even though I was drinking plenty of fluids. I wasn’t taking in enough sodium which meant the fluids were going right through me and compounding the problem.

HW-292 • SW (6/29/17) 256.6 • CW 185.0

Thanks Orion and Alcn!

Brief update:

Surgical nurse suggested it was possibly low BP or reactive hypoglycemia.

I already had an appointment with my NUT the same day, and she said the hypoglycemia was unlikely based on symptoms and timeline, but she mentioned the sodium issue.

I was cleared to start trying veggies, and I started with pickles yesterday bc I missed them so much. Should also cover any missing sodium, although I'll also pick up some electrolytic Water to drink every day.

I reached out to my primary care, and I'm waiting on a call back so they can look into the bp issue. Unfortunately we got about 10+ inches of snow yesterday so no one is open.

Teri, I have asthma and am only 40 pounds into my weight loss journey, I am frequently out of breath. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

I saw my primary care yesterday. She did a lot of blood work in anticipation of my surgeon check up next month (checked all of my nutrients) and those results aren't back yet. Basically:

1. Yoga can make people dizzy who don't otherwise get dizzy.
2. It's not sodium unless I'm having very low BP, and I'm not. It's lowER now, but lower as in normal.
3. Your brain gets used to the status quo as far as blood volume/size. A quick change can throw off the homeostasis, and it takes time to get back normal.
4. Dizziness can be caused by a million things, some testable some not.

So it's a wait and see for me right now. I'm glad to know it's probably just the weight loss and will hopefully correct itself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app