Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I'm on day 7/14 of my pre-op liquid diet and things are going fine, wide awake and over the cravings etc.

I've been reading a lot about the sleeve not being as successful as the RNY and it makes me rethink my choice.
I am pretty dead set on having the sleeve because I don't want them rerouting my intestine. I've seen a decent amount of people upset because
they are not happy with their sleeve because they are not losing as much as they thought. I guess i'm just worried it wont meet me expectations after reading all of that.
I like going to the gym and the only problem I had before was Portion Control. So I feel like overall I could be successful. I guess I just want your guy's opinion!
Sorry if this doesn't make sense!

they're both good surgeries and I've seen plenty of examples of very successful patients with both kinds of surgeries. Your commitment to your program is going to make a *much* bigger difference than which surgery you have. Sleeve patients often lose more slowly, but at the two-year mark, the results are about the same.

one of the biggest reasons for having bypass over sleeve is GERD. The sleeve can often (but not always...) make that worse, whereas a bypass can often (but not always...) cure it. If GERD isn't a problem for you, then either surgery would be a good choice.

The bypass is the "better" operation

But it also carries more risk

With the sleeve 10,15, 20 years down the road you don't need to worry about problems arising. With the bypass you'll always have that shadow looming over you, worrying about internal hernias obstructions ulcers malnutrition anemia etc etc.

If I was severely obese, had severe GERD, or poorly controlled diabetes I would lean towards the bypass. If I was younger, healthier, and on the lower end of obese I think the sleeve is the more conservative option.

Is (potentially) having a slightly lower bmi down the road worth worrying about more complications for tbe rest of your life?

With the sleeve 10,15, 20 years down the road you don't need to worry about problems arising. With the bypass you'll always have that shadow looming over you, worrying about internal hernias obstructions ulcers malnutrition anemia etc etc.
If I was severely obese, had severe GERD, or poorly controlled diabetes I would lean towards the bypass. If I was younger, healthier, and on the lower end of obese I think the sleeve is the more conservative option.
Is (potentially) having a slightly lower bmi down the road worth worrying about more complications for tbe rest of your life?

Thank you so much for your input!! I’m only 23 and your last question opened my eyes. I have a BMI if 41 but my doctor says I am on the low scale of most of the people she sees. And she says since I’m young the sleeve will benefit me because it doesn’t have as many risks. I think I’ll do the sleeve because Im young and can bounce back fairly quick!

4 minutes ago, Brittanyblue said:

Thank you so much for your input!! I’m only 23 and your last question opened my eyes. I have a BMI if 41 but my doctor says I am on the low scale of most of the people she sees. And she says since I’m young the sleeve will benefit me because it doesn’t have as many risks. I think I’ll do the sleeve because Im young and can bounce back fairly quick!

Just another thing, the surgeon I work with prefers to do sleeves on younger females. Because anemia, malnutrition, and calcium/bone density concerns are all even greater risk for them with a bypass (related to menstruation, women typically eating less meat than men, putting on bone density vs losing it from lack of Calcium when younger before menopause etc)

1 hour ago, Mhy12784 said:

I didn't realize the sleeve had been around long enough to have 20 years of research on it.

19 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I didn't realize the sleeve had been around long enough to have 20 years of research on it.

The sleeve was first performed in the 80s

That said it wasnt a big thing until relatively recently so yes the long term data is weak (but promising). But the bypasses long term risks are very well documented and clear. Theres a reason that sleeves outnumbered bypasses 3:1 and then some in 2016 .

Dont get me wrong the bypass is a fantastic operation, but I think you would have to be the right candidate or have a higher risk tolerance to have a bypass over a sleeve. And the numbers of surgeries performed support that.

That said it wasnt a big thing until relatively recently so yes the long term data is weak (but promising). But the bypasses long term risks are very well documented and clear. Theres a reason that sleeves outnumbered bypasses 3:1 and then some in 2016 .
Dont get me wrong the bypass is a fantastic operation, but I think you would have to be the right candidate or have a higher risk tolerance to have a bypass over a sleeve. And the numbers of surgeries performed support that.

Thank you so much. You made me feel so much better!

16 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

the only thing on that list that isn't really preventable are obstructions, but those are pretty rare. The rest of the stuff is also rare *as long as you follow the rules*, e.g., avoid NSAIDs, smoking, and keeping on top of your Vitamins. People that have these kinds of complications usually aren't very diligent about taking their vitamins, etc. Complications for both types of surgeries, when they occur, are usually minor. Again, as long as you follow the rules.

I'm 24 and just was sleeved on 11/27 so I'm still recovering but I do not regret getting surgery at all. I know it will benefit me in the long run. Also I've noticed a lot of articles about weight loss surgery and how much they benefit people. I hear some people talk about craving sweets or missing eating this type of food but honestly for me I've been craving a salad and salsa (I know the salsa is a weird one to crave) but I really only get hungry once maybe twice a day now. Like I said I don't regret getting this done at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

If pregnancy is in your future, I'd go with sleeve. You still have to be careful, but sleeve is a little more forgiving nutritionally.

I had a high starting BMI and my surgeon recommended a sleeve as current research shows only a slight difference in outcomes at 5 yrs post surgery. The bypass can have more side effects etc.

I'm 4 months post op and I've lost 45 kg (100 pounds). I am confident that this is the best decision I've ever made in my life.

This is a big decision and you need to be comfortable in the decision you make. Best wishes.