Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety meds before weight loss surgery?

I know this is a question I will need to ask my surgeon about, and will at my next visit, but just curious if anyone has taken (or needed to take) anxiety medicine prior to surgery? I have had a couple of panic attacks in my life and have found that they are sort of self-driven. Once I start to think about having a panic attack, the thought of having one becomes the driving factor causing the attack, if that makes sense. I have medication I can take on an as-needed basis and I find that just knowing I have the medication available is reasuring and actually helps me to calm myself to the point that I usually don't need the medication...just knowing it's available if needed is sufficient.

My concern is that, on the day of surgery, I won't be able to take anything for my anxiety and could have a panic attack worrying about the surgery. Am I worried about nothing? I know they can give you something in the hospital to help calm you...does that usually happen pretty quickly or do they make you wait?

Thanks for any advice?

Discuss it with your surgeon.....he/she can order anxiety meds via subcutaneous(shot) upon arrival....then more in your IV if needed

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

It's possible your doctor will let you take your anxiety medication on the day of with just a sip of Water if it's necessary, or he can order something to have on hand for you in pre-op if you need it.

I don't know why you couldn't take your anti anxiety medication day of. I've been offered Valium and Xanax before surgeries.

I think they asked me the morning of surgery if I wanted something for anxiety, but I said no because I wasn't really feeling all that anxious.

This surgery made me anxious too, and I'm not normally anxious before surgery. I was able to take my pills beforehand so I'd think you could take something for anxiety before you even leave for the hospital if you have it on hand. I even had a pill with the two hours before surgery (Emend, a pill for nausea they gave me in preop).

The anesthesia team is usually in charge of pre-medication for anxiety on the way in to surgery, but they don't usually give the med (I've seen versed, or Ativan, or Valium in IV form used, which are fast acting) until you're heading in to surgery. If you need something while you're in preop, your nurse should be able to contact the surgeon or the PA to get an order if you really need it.

Good luck with your surgery. I think you'll feel much better once it's over. Keep your eye on the prize!

5 hours ago, VSGnewguy said:

I have had a couple of panic attacks in my life and have found that they are sort of self-driven. Once I start to think about having a panic attack, the thought of having one becomes the driving factor causing the attack, if that makes sense.

This absolutely makes sense. I have anxiety about being anxious because of how I tend to act and feel when I'm anxious. I can imagine it's similar with panicking about an impending panic attack. Not a good feeling!

I struggle with anxiety and took a couple of zanax the night before and morning of my surgery. The anesthetist supported my decision. I had discussed it prior to my surgery with my surgeon and psychiatrist.

Just have a chat to your surgeon about it, you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be sure to discuss with my surgeon before hand.

I took all of my psych meds the day of surgery.