Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining Weight!!!!!

I have been eating the same as always between 600-1000 calories a day getting my Protein in etc etc and I gained 4lbs this week. Why why why????? ☹️☹️☹️

Have you burned fewer calories? Could be a due to a natural cycle? Don't freak out. You got this!

It could be something as simple as sodium, or even an increase in lean muscle. Just stick with your program, it will all work out.

Everything I’m doing is exactly the same. I get worried when I am doing everything right and see a gain. It scares me that I’m going to be one of the “failures” with this WLS surgery.

I'm 14 months out, I am about 2 sizes away from my goal size. And this is what I learned:

I have a 3 pound +/- that is of indeterminate causes. I assume it can be because of my period, too much sodium, not exercising enough one day and snacking a few extra that same day, or just life, too much air in my lungs, etc. lol!

I would be concerned about 4 lbs but I would also just focus on drinking more Water, cutting carbs and increasing my exercise the next few days. I would be 176 then 174 then 173, then 176!!! I'd just look at the scale, kind of shrug, look in the mirror, love what i see, pack my workout clothes and keep going. I'm at 151.1 this AM, yesterday AM I was 153. Nothing different, just it is what it is.

Try not to let the scale freak you out, we are human bodies that are mysterious and wondrous. Somethings seem like an exact science and then they suddenly seem like magic. Try not to allow something like this freak you out too much. As long as you are truly following the protocol this will work itself out.

Our metabolism, hormones, and everything else, are ALL over the place. We have stalls (I call them Pauses), we have 1 step forward, 3 steps back, we have leaps forward and long waits in between. I once went 8 weeks without losing a single lb, but I dropped 3 clothes size. Then I stopped working out for a few days due to something I can't remember and suddenly I dropped 10 lbs in 4 days. lol!!

Just keep pushing forward and stay focused. Keep track of these things but don't base your feeling of success on them, non-scale victories are where the true success lies in this process for us. When we can run for 10 minutes without being out of breath, when we can ride a roller coaster with ease and joy, when we walk past a window and love what we see. The scale only tells a small part of our story. You are doing GREAT!!!! Hang in there!!!

3 hours ago, jcb123 said:

Everything I’m doing is exactly the same. I get worried when I am doing everything right and see a gain. It scares me that I’m going to be one of the “failures” with this WLS surgery.

It's good to use the fear of weight gain to keep you on track. You are working your plan. The scale will move in your favor again.

Water and food weight can cause weird fluctuations in either direction. If your calorie counts are solid, then it's not fat gain.

Stay hydrated and lay off the salt. It'll pass soon.

I find my weight fluctuates based on a variety of factors:

1. What time of day I weigh myself

2. Naked or wearing clothes & shoes

3. Whether I just ate or drank

4. If I just went to the bathroom or not, especially after large BM(s)

Therefore, I try to be very consistent and weigh myself naked (or nearly naked) first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, and using the same scale. This way I can eliminate any variables that can skew my weight data.

2 hours ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

I'm 14 months out, I am about 2 sizes away from my goal size. And this is what I learned:

I have a 3 pound +/- that is of indeterminate causes. I assume it can be because of my period, too much sodium, not exercising enough one day and snacking a few extra that same day, or just life, too much air in my lungs, etc. lol!

I would be concerned about 4 lbs but I would also just focus on drinking more Water, cutting carbs and increasing my exercise the next few days. I would be 176 then 174 then 173, then 176!!! I'd just look at the scale, kind of shrug, look in the mirror, love what i see, pack my workout clothes and keep going. I'm at 151.1 this AM, yesterday AM I was 153. Nothing different, just it is what it is.

Try not to let the scale freak you out, we are human bodies that are mysterious and wondrous. Somethings seem like an exact science and then they suddenly seem like magic. Try not to allow something like this freak you out too much. As long as you are truly following the protocol this will work itself out.

Our metabolism, hormones, and everything else, are ALL over the place. We have stalls (I call them Pauses), we have 1 step forward, 3 steps back, we have leaps forward and long waits in between. I once went 8 weeks without losing a single lb, but I dropped 3 clothes size. Then I stopped working out for a few days due to something I can't remember and suddenly I dropped 10 lbs in 4 days. lol!!

Just keep pushing forward and stay focused. Keep track of these things but don't base your feeling of success on them, non-scale victories are where the true success lies in this process for us. When we can run for 10 minutes without being out of breath, when we can ride a roller coaster with ease and joy, when we walk past a window and love what we see. The scale only tells a small part of our story. You are doing GREAT!!!! Hang in there!!!

+1 to everything in this post! <3

You are fine. It is probably just Water weight. It would be really hard to gain four pounds of fat on a 600-1000 calorie diet. Keep doing what you are doing.

I gain a few pounds every week starting on Monday when I lift weights. My last lift day is Thursday, and I normally lose those pounds and then some by Saturday. I am used to it, so I don't worry.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and comments. You all make me feel so much better!!! I will keep doing what I’m doing and try not to let the scale get me down.

6 hours ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

This!