Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great Low Carb Bread

I found this bread online and bought some. It is AMAZING! They carry lots of stuff IMG_8576.JPG

holdthecarbs.com

5' 5"

HW: 259

CW: 234

GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

Biggest issue I see is how high in calories it is. At 140 calories thats like 50-60% of your calories in a meal. I guess its not so bad once youre maintaining, but in the losing phase thats tough.

I like something like this https://www.josephsbakery.com/shop/specialty/heart-friendly-pita-bread.html

which is still super high in Fiber but its only 70 calories. And you can get it most grocery stores (bjs, Walmart etc)

Of course I havent tried it post op only preop, as im not quite at the bread stage yet.

What are you talking about per meal? You need to be concerned with Carbs. If you keep carbs and sugars low, calories fall into place. Your goal is basically eating a ketosis diet. You need to pay attention to your macros. I do not break down calories for each meal. Lol This has 11g of Protein and 1 net carb and no sugar. Nutritionally this is a MUCH better choice. Best part is that it tastes good, not like cardboard [emoji106] If you like it then have at it. Im attaching a pic from an email my Nut sent me this morning. 1 whole pita blows your macros for the entire day. Not a great idea. This stuff is so filling I cant eat more than a 1/2 slice. Maybe Im looking at the wrong product that you are referring to? I will attach the nutritional info that I found for the pita.IMG_8580.JPG IMG_8581.JPG

5' 5"

Id really like to start a board on here for products that are good for our diet. Do you have any others? You know after looking at what I posted... I don't think it is the correct nutritional info. [emoji51] Do you happen to have it?

5' 5"

11 minutes ago, Sherry Rice said:

Id really like to start a board on here for products that are good for our diet. Do you have any others? You know after looking at what I posted... I don't think it is the correct nutritional info. Do you happen to have it?

5' 5"

It was right on the link, 70 calories for a whole pita.

Ketosis is BS. Calories in vs calories out is what it's all about.

A ketosis diet will discourage you from eating or at least into highly limiting fruits and vegetables which are pure carbohydrates (though I agree fruit should be had in moderation) . I absolutely agree that keeping carbohydrates in check is important, and that Protein is the most important macro nutrient that a diet should be built around.

Also the numbers your nutritionist sent you don't even make sense

If you're supposed to have 35g of carbohydrates max, 20g of fat max. And eat 800-1000 calories a day this means you need between 115g and 165g of Protein a day to reach those numbers.

Now I'm all about the high protein thing and rarely think too much protein is a bad thing. But doesn't 165g of protein for a bariatric female losing weight sound insane? I mean it you're an Olympic weight lifter or something that's a complete different story, but it just sounds odd to me.

That information is incorrect. It's science. Research more or speak to your nutritionist or others on this board. That line of thinking is scary and can very quickly derail or slow your progress. Ketosis does not discourage you from eating. Ketosis is the state where your body burns fat for energy, not sugars/glucose. Carbohydrates turn into glucose and your body will use the easy way.... sugars. The reason we are on this diet is to get your body into ketosis so your body helps you lose the fat. Its 1000% better to burn fat than glucose. Most of us are here from those old school bad habits. High carbs and sugars is how we got here. This is not my opinion, it's science. Do some research and you will see. Yes, calories matter. BUT ...where those calories come from is very, very important in how your body utilizes the nutrients it is given. I hope this makes sense. Don't trust me ask anyone on here.

5' 5"

I also love this bread. It's not as low carb as the one you posted but it's a good alternate if you like a slice of toast in the AM or even want a sandwich on occasion as it's very thin and doesn't fill up my stomach. You can get it right at the grocery store which is nice. The nutrition facts are based on 3 slices as that's a serving size so you have to do a little math. The flavor is good too.

https://www.pepperidgefarm.com/product/very-thin-100-whole-wheat-bread/

I'm so confused now.. Lol. Everyone going back and forth on low carbs vs low calories. I'm not really sure now what to do or how many carbs a day I should be having. I thought I could only have a few grams of carbs per meal? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

5 minutes ago, Patrick powers said:

I'm so confused now.. Lol. Everyone going back and forth on low carbs vs low calories. I'm not really sure now what to do or how many carbs a day I should be having. I thought I could only have a few grams of carbs per meal? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I mean your surgeon/nutritionist should have guidelines.

Personally my belief is hit your Protein and fill in your calories to your limit. You don't wanna have too many carbohydrates but they won't kill you either, you just wanna make smart choices with them.

And I mean no matter what it's gonna be low calories, you can't lose weight eating at a caloric surplus. Whether carbohydrates should be medium/low low or near non existent is where there will be some debate

Follow the advice of your surgeon or nut for sure. My team does not have us follow a super low carb diet personally. My carb goal daily is between 50-100 grams but I try and get those from veggies mostly, though I do eat some bread and Pasta on occassion. Carbs effect everyone differently as well. For some people they stall weight loss and trigger cravings, for others they have very little to no effect on cravings and do not have a negative impact on weight loss. You have to find what works for your body when it comes to carb intake.

*Double post

Edited by Sullie06