Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I have decided on the lap band procedure. How did you decide to band over the bypass? Sometimes I think that I won't be happy with the slow results and worrying about the fills. Any advice?

After doing some research and also knowing 2 poeple who have died having the bypass it was an easy decision.

The lapband is adjustable, induces satiety (when filled correctly, still waiting for that) and very importantly is reversible. If you find you cannot tolerate it you can unfill or remove it. You don't lose any of your organs and the surgery is minor compared to bypass. You absorb nutrients from food so it's rare to get malnourished. I have heard of problems with the band but they are generally able to work with you to correct these. The bypass is permanent and not adjustable. I hear you lose weight rapidly the first year but by year 5 many people have started to gain again.

Only you can decide what is right for you. Do your research ask questions and make the decision that suits you and your situation best.

Cheers

i'm the exact same weight that you are and the decision was easy to make because it is reversable. Also if you think about yes you loose a little slower but less saggy skin. You and I are not even close to where some of these people are as far as the weight. But we are blessed to know that we can take care of this now before its too late.

Let us know how you are progressing...GOOD LUCK.

I admit I wish I could have had bypass, but am a lower bmi so not a candidate.

But the success I'm having with the band has been wonderful!!!! Wouldn't change a thing.

Fills - get a good fill doctor and you could only go in for 2 fills to get you restricted. And then only as you need them. When you get the band you will get a handbook that outlines the fills. I hear complaints all the time about 'no restriction after 4 fills' and then see they have as much as I do and I've only had 2 fills.

Of course, each doctor is different and I'm sure the doc thought they needed a slower rate of fills... but you are in control of the band, the doc, and surgery...don't forget that. You have the power of decision.

Financially speaking, the band is better....and not just the lower cost of surgery. The sagging skin issue so many have w/ bypass and then have to either live with it or have the funds to pay for more surgery...the band has a better rate of tighter skin..thus avoiding this additional cost and scarring.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing and what you decide.

Gastric was NEVER a consideration for me, maybe if I'd been heavier or desperate. I don't judge anyone who has taken that path, but I'm glad the band was an option. I did have to wait a long while for it to become available in my area, when it did, I was the first to have it done, with no regrets.