Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my pre op "liquid" diet - Its not really all liquids

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 4th. I have my insurance approval. I'm feeling good.. except Thanksgiving is Thursday. I think I am one of the lucky ones because my surgeon's program doesn't put us on full liquids for two weeks before surgery. My diet goes like this:

Breakfast - Protein Shake ( I add my premiere Protein to black coffee .. it's good)

snack - apple

Lunch- 300 cal or less frozen healthy meal. I went with the Healthy Choice Cafe steamers and a 1/2 cup of veggies

snack : more protein shake

Dinner: same as lunch 300 cal or less frozen healthy meal and half cup veggies.

Also I can have as much sugar free Popsicle and Jello , broth, all the other "free" foods whenever

I was very surprised when they gave us the food list. I won't starve after all. I go Clear Liquids 2 days before surgery though ... no red jello haha

Thanksgiving won't be so bad because I can just eat my little frozen meal instead and not sit there glaring at people with liquids.

My pre-op was the same (except no clear for 2 days prior). You can eat some turkey at the table on Thanksgiving so you aren't sitting there with a lean cuisine. you can also have some salad with vinegar as a dressing. 3 ounces of Turkey breast is 96 calories. So you have some wiggle room to add some turkey. Don't have gravy, don't have stuffing, don't have mashed potatoes. If you have fresh veggies at the table (roasted brussel sprouts, asparagus, green Beans without the cream of mushroom) you could have those as your half cup of veggies. The key to the pre-op diet is to limit fat intake - so be cautious and you can enjoy with your family at the table.

My liquid diet isn't so forgiving. Just clear liquids, protien shakes, and one 100 calorie serving of a list of three things...also liquid in texture. LOL. Fun!

I start tomorrow, and am cooking a full dinner for family Thursday. Will be hell on Earth. LOL...but I'm getting creative. I'm simmering some sage and thyme and onion and celery in my chicken broth (which I will strain off), having cream of potato Soup for my one 100 calorie thing, and some diet cranberry juice (the 5 calorie kind) Voila! Liquid diet Thanksgiving!

My surgery is on Wednesday...fed my family Thanksgiving on Nov. 7th! lol I wasn't missing out on that food. lol So I am on the 2-week liquid diet, it has been horrible. I cannot expect my family to do it with me. The Protein Shakes cause really bad stomach issues so I rather not drink them. I have been living off of sugar-free Jello & pudding and chicken broth. A lot of Crystal Light and Water. My family will not allow me to cave. They were eating pizza yesterday and I begged them for a bite and they said NOPE. I did get some Cream of Wheat and I cook it to where it is watered down so I considered that a liquid. I use Equal so that should be okay. I won't lie, I miss my Pasta and sweets..which most likely got me into this situation. The only thing I pray for is I lose my sweet craving, if that happens I will be golden!

I would stay from butter. I had my surgery on Wednesday and everything went well, but it is very difficult to swallow Water. It feels like there is a huge lump between my breasts when I drink. Other than that I am excited to go home today and be in my own bed.

I know it is tough being on a liquid diet right now but remember this is preparing your body for your surgery and afterwards.

Good luck!

Ginas...I feel your pain. Yesterday was hell for me. But we made it through! So good job, and keep strong. I'm rooting for both of us:)

My surgery is also December 5th. I cheated, but felt guilty. But today is a new day. I will do this, I can do this. Also nervous about post op.

Newme69....Do not beat yourself up for cheating, just don't do it again. Let's face it, none of us has will power or we wouldn't be in this situation. I know it is hard, when I had my surgery on Wednesday the first thing I wanted to do was drink Water but I was not allowed any water for 24 hours! That was Hell! I am currently on a clear liquid Stage one diet for two weeks. I tried Jello and it hurt like Hell so no jello until my sleeve heals. I am living off of water & Crystal light right now. I have no appetite so it doesn't bother me. I know as each day goes by it will get easier. You got this girl, hang in there! ((HUGS))

ddhudak...I wish you a speedy recovery from your sleeve. Thank you for the kind words. I actually will be glad when my surgery is over. I am already preparing my family. From now on we will look at food for what it is. We will, for the most part eat to live not livr to eat. And you know what, since my options class with Kaiser, I don' even enjoy food like that anymore.

ok,

I have surgery on the 4th and this is getting really hard. I had a small cheese and bacon roll last night, so much for I will miss, but today I've been really good. I'm only 5 days out now so I have to stick to it. It's so hard... I mean, if I could stick to a fast like this, I wouldn't need the surgery. Please someone tell me something to force me to stick to it.

I Know it is hard but what you ate is not good. I would suggest buying sugar free Jello and sugar free pudding. Remember, you can eat as much of the sugar free products you want without any issues. So if you just get that urge that you must eat then just pig out on sugar free Jello. I promise it will get you through this hard time, believe me I know what you're going through. Also, drink a lot of Water and Crystal Light products.