Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tennessee Lap Banders

I just came accross your post. I am going to banded by Dr. Spaw and wanted to get your opinion on him. To me, he seems highly trained and is very knowledged with this surgery.

Hey guys.....I haven't posted for awhile probably because I felt like my appt was so far off. I am going to Florida for a week, and then my appt will follow. I am still worried my insurance won't pay, cause I'm right there on the line. :-( We'll see!!

Has anyone used Dr. McDowell for Lap Band surgery? If so would you please PM me so I could ask about the 2 week post op diet. I have a copy of one someone gave me at the Support group meeting, but I've heard that each doctor does something a little different. I'm wondering if I started following the diet now before I see him if I could move my surgery up.

let me know about the consult...i have not posted in a while either...i had so much wait time...i had my EGD and had my gallbladder out...and July 30 is my actual meeting with the surgeon and last weigh in...i have to have the rest of my paperwork turned in by July 23...then on the 30th Dr. hodge will schedule my surgery...they say it takes about a month to get the insurance on board then they are approx. one month behind scedule so we're probably looking at the end of sept. or first part of oct....so hope everyone is doing well...

I have not posted in a while too because my insurance is dragging their feet. I have BCBS of New Jersey. My whole process started in Sept of 2007. I did my 6 month diet and I'm borderline diabetic. Everything was processed in March then in April they came back and said they needed more info about the 6 month diet. Everytime they ask for something they say it's another 30 business days. So by the end of May they said it was still being reviewed. I asked why it was taking so long and called every other day. They said they would have to send an email and that response would take another 10 business days. I asked for a 48 hour expedided review and still no response. My DH talked to his HR person who sent an email asking what the hold up was and that this was the 2nd time they did this and they needed them to get on it. Dr. Morton's office, Amy, has been wonderful about calling everyday. Amy now has an actual person she can talk to and this lady has asked for additional info showing I have dieted for years and what diets I have been on. Amy explained that this was not in the original request but the letter from my doctor in Sept of 2007 already stated all the diets I had been on and I have had my primary doctor for the past 7 years. She was asked that it be resubmitted, which she did and that was a week ago. Now BCBS of New Jersey is not returning her calls. How can insurance companies get away with this? I have not even been denied so I can appeal it. My guess is they have no reason to deny me so all they can do is string it along hoping I go away. Meanwhile I know that I am getting closer to needing to be on insulin. My dad died from diabetes. I don't want to start that process. Isn't it a known fact that the lap band helps get rid of diabetes? Wouldn't someone at BCBS of New Jersey realize that in the long run the lap band will be cheaper on them? Sorry to rant but this seems so wrong that they can get away with this. Thanx for listening.

Denise

hi! I am from nashville (well, live in hendersonville) and was just looking for people in the area who have had it done, used the drs at baptist (I am going tomorrow night to a meeting there) and just general support.

Nice to meet all of you

Hi JennyWren, welcome to the TN forum. I have been very busy with life in general ( my dad just finished 24 rounds of chemo for colon cancer) and am now finally finding more time to contribute to this board.

I have been blessed to have been banded since 2003, used Walter Rose, MD at Chattanooga, I live about halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga, so not really too close to you but wanted to say hi.

You will find the seminar very helpful in answering a lot of your questions. Good luck on your journey to getting banded and a new life!

Thanks Lapbandfan! I am excited/nervous about the seminar tomorrow, but dh is ready to support me and take care of the kids while I go! now to get other ducks in a row (like organizing house so family can keep it semi clean while I am down! lol)

Denise

I am so sorry you are having so many frustrations in getting BCBC to approve I had BCBC Of Massachessetts at the time and they covered, but that was then and now I know they are bucking on a lot of people on getting approved.

I will pray it gets approved for you soon. I agree with you, looks like your diet history of years of dieting and you family history of health issues would be plenty enough for them to approve. Good luck with it and hang in there, it will be SO worth the wait if they approve you!

Thank you for the prays. Since I wrote that I have been denied for "missing paperwork", it took a while to get that out of them. They said they need the exact diet I was on. I just found out Monday that I am now a diabetic and on Metformin. It's making me feel really sick. I have now asked for a "fast" decision appeal with the diet and new info of being a diabetic. I pray they approve me because I want to get off the medicine as quickly as possible. Thanx again.

Niecey

well, I went to my seminar last night with dr Mcdowell at baptist. I was hoping to get him, and I did. he is really nice, but says he prefers gastric for himself because he is impatient. I am not, so i think lap band will be fine for me.

I am nervous about one thing. I went to this seminar unbeknownst to my PCP. A few years ago I talked to him about gastric (lap wasn't available, or I dind't know about it then) and he said NO! So, I don't know how he will feel about me getting the lap. I need to get a letter of recommendation from him and I am nervous about it. Do i need to make a special appt with him, or can I just take it in to him, or just fax it to him? LOL I really want to take the chicken way out. lol Any advice? Amy said she would call my insurance today to see what my pay would be, etc, and dr said he puts all his patients on a diet as well....so I see this will be a process. That's ok, I am just worried it will take forever for me to lose weight, as I have been fighting just to keep my weight even or gain little- I have gained about 7 lbs in the last 2 mo fighting.

Hi. I'm from Memphis. Dr. George Woodman did my surgery at Baptist East on Feb 8th.:)

Hey Taz,

How is it going...I was banded on Nov 19th, 07 by Woodman at Baptist East...

As far as I know the support group meets once a month... plum

I know you wrote this a few months back but there is a calendar on his website. Have you been to a support group meeting yet? Do you get anything out of them?

Murfreesboro, TN here and Dr Eckles did my surgery