Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Blue- Abnormal Scarring

I should be happy, ecstatic even. I'm losing weight steadily, have had no complications, and all my incisions have healed without any infection. What's my problem? I found out this week that my slightly raised, slightly reddish scars are considered abnormal- "hypertrophic," which is not as bad as keloid scars, but my dreams of having flat, almost invisible scars a year from now is likely not to be. They can't tell me what it will look like a year from now. I just have to wait, and put the Mederma away because it's not going to have any effect on these things.

My doc gave me the name of a plastic surgeon. Someone I won't even consult because I'll have to combine scar revision with any other work I get done after I lose all the weight a year or so from now.

It's silly. It's vanity. I'm still 100% glad I got this surgery. But I'm only 29, and though I did not expect to get through this process unscathed I hadn't counted on this...

It just makes me sad. Can anyone out there relate?

Thanks for letting me vent.

I'm not sure how bad you're talking, but I have 1 scar that must have opened, so it pops outward in scar tissue (kind of like a bubble). I still put mederma on all of mine, but truth me told I don't mind all the scars. The only one that bothers me for now is right between my boobs. I am vain about that, I don't want a big port scar between my cleavage!

But as for the rest, I don't think much of them. Battle scars! I'm 23, and though I'd love to wear a 2-piece someday, I think the tankini's are very sexy. And they would hide scars. I can live with that.

I also have those nasty hypertrophic scars. I am over a year out now and they haven't lesssened much. I too, am not crazy about them in trade. If that is what I have to endure for being 85 pounds thinner, then I can accept them.

I'd be interested to see what a plastic surgeon could do with them. Perhaps when I go for a consult for a Tummy Tuck. Again, ugly scar, but much better overall effect.

Hugs, I hear ya!

Me too, but you know, I never dreamed of running around in a two piece, so I don't mind the scars. It would be great to not have them, but I do.. And my Tummy Tuck scar healed really nice on one side and on the other half it is dark and gross, but what the hell, my stomach is flat, right?? And I do wear a 2 piece, only at home, though, it is quite obvious that I had a tummy tuck, the new belly button gives me away, but I look good in clothes.. Well, not too much right now, I'm a little chunky, but hey I am thinner than I was in high school and look better at 35 than I did at 20.. Don't stress about the scaring. In a perfect world we wouldn't have any scars, but in a perfect world I wish I would have never been fat and had toned abs.. So there that's my opinion.. Don't stress over your little scars.

Exactly.

I was carrying 150lbs of extra weight. If I can even get near my goal, scars are so the least of my worries :)

Hypertrophic scarring is when the scar can be discolored and raised, but stays within the limits of the wound. It's different from keloiding in that keloiding can "color outside the lines" and spread past the original wound. (determined by collagen types during the healing process)

My scars are all tiny little faint streaks I can barely see except my port scar. My port scar, for several months, was raised & red along the entire scar. Then it started to subside in thirds. Weird, huh? The right-most third defalted and faded, then the middle third, then the left-most third, but not nearly as much as the other two thirds. So now 2/3 of my scar is a (much thicker than the strand of hair you might expect) regular scar, like a scar that forms over an unclosed wound, and the remaining 1/3 is hypertrophic. It looks really weird. To top it off, about 6 weeks ago I had Gb removal and the surgeon cut across the same scar, so we'll see what it looks like in the end!

My scar (as you can expect with hypertrophic scars) looked its worst a few months post-op, then improved rather quickly & significantly after. (I think hypertrophic scars are as bad as they're going to get by 8 months in, but I would have to look it up to be sure). Keloid scars are what they are - they might get worse, but the don'y really get any better.

Pashmina! Don't dispare!

I'm very into BodyMod's, especially piercings. Hypertrophic scarring and keloids are very common risks with piercings. I had one on my industrial piercing. Might I suggest the following:

Soak your scars, using a shot glass or small mug, with hot Water and un-iodized sea salt. Soak twice a day for 15 minutes, then apply Tea Tree Oil to the scars. Take a photo on the first day you start doing this, you should see results in about two weeks, even more after four. It's a lot cheaper then a plastic surgeon.

I am worried about this too. I am only 6 days out, some steri strips still on, so I have no idea how they will turn out. However, I had a cyst removed on my upper back and that scar is crazy looking! It is about 5 inches long and there are 3 "bumps" along it that are hypertrophic and the whole thing is a lovely pinkish purplish color. My dermatologist injected it with a steroid which helped a little, and I will go back soon for another injection. She said she thinks I just don't scar well, so I am very interested to see how these new lovelies turn out. I know it is not a big deal, but like you, I am young and just envision a smooth pretty tummy. *sigh* Oh well, small price to pay for all the other fantastic benefits we'll get from this, eh?

Jenne

Can anyone post pictures of what their scars look like? Wheetsin's explanation was great, but I need a visual in my head of what normal scarring looks like versus hypertrophic scarring versus keloid scarring.

Thanks to all for your helpful, supportive posts. It's definitely brightened my day to see them I'm not alone, and reminded me that what counts is to lose the weight. Though, in truth, I will probably continue to be irritated by the scars until I can come to a more balanced state of body acceptance.

TheFox- How much sea salt are you adding to the hot Water before soaking?

Laurend- The pics may be a bit fuzzy (difficult to self-pic the belly) but this is my largest scar, the port scar. All of my incisions are hypotrophic, each to a different degree. Hope that's helpful.

Hypertrophic2.jpgHypertrophic1-1.jpg

Well, apparently, I have hypertrophic scarring, then. Mine are purple and a little raised. My doctor didn't say anything about the scarring, though.

Hypertrophic: (more severe than mine, but notice how the discoloration and elevation are still within the area of the cut)

hypertrophic_scar.jpg

Keloid: (notice how the scar has gone crazy)

tn_18207kp.jpg