Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Post-Sleeve Rules Do You Break?

9 hours ago, Amburmist said:

Anyone start smoking again??

You know, I haven't, but I better get started soon, before the weather gets too cold. Smoked chicken is da bomb.. and smoked nuts. (And both are bariatric friendly!).

Thanks for reminding me!

Anyone start smoking again??

Well, I know people do start smoking again after surgery, i guess either no ones brave enough to admit it here or no one has on this thread.

I haven't picked up a cig again...yet...but i sure am craving it. Even moreso because it used to help me NOT eat and for whatever reason, i haven't yet gotten the "forget to eat" side effect of this surgery!

Oh, shucks.. cigarettes.. you can tell I'm tired. Hankering for smoked meats.. almost forgot which board I was on..

Well, I'm proud of you for steering clear! One day (hour, minute) at a time! You've got this! {Hugs}

For me it's the no carbonation rule. I have always loved seltzer and now all the flavored no-sweetener, no-sugar La Croix varieties are my go to treats. I don't understand why there's a no carbonation rule, and I've read in some places it's a huge no-no and in others that it doesn't matter. I will not go back to diet drinks, I never really liked them anyway. But that flavored seltzer is sometimes the only thing that keeps me at a good Water intake for the day.

How many months are years are you post op? I love seltzer and have not touched it since my vsg. (I’m only a week out) I’m wondering when did you start back up as I have no intention of letting it go. I hate diet drinks and would much rather have seltzer.

HAHAHAHA! You and me babe, I've given up almost all my vices but take away my coffee and someone will get hurt!

I’m only 1 week post so no coffee yet but as soon as that 3 week mark hits I’m going straight to Starbucks

Don't even try carbonation until you are at least 9 weeks postop as an absolute minimum. People have died from (alka seltzer) during the initial postop healing period. Gas bubbles are no joke when the only thing between you and certain death is a line of staples.

My doctor didn't have a lot of rules regarding diet, just restrictions for healing after surgery (such as straws, cleared to use at 2 weeks, no diet restrictions after 6 weeks). In fact, I remember telling him how I couldn't imagine going the rest of my life without certain foods, and what comforted me most was him saying I can eat whatever I want, I'll just eat less.

I drink pop - full calorie- on occasion.

I don't chew my food a certain number of times (again, this was only suggested to me while still recovering from surgery and to make sure I didn't hurt myself).

I drink liquids up until I eat, but I do wait after or I'll feel miserable.

I eat sweets if I want them. One benefit of surgery is that I can limit how much I eat and many no longer appeal to me.

I eat carbs. My nutritionist actually said I should be eating more carbs than Protein by 6 months.

I'm 9 months out and went from a size 20/22 to an 8, my goal size, though I am going to keep going until at least a 6 and re-evaluate then.

Your dr sounds like Mine and we had a similar starting point and the same size goal. Nice to see you hit your goal relatively quickly while still eating the things you enjoy. I hope to do the same.

I know this is supposed to be for fun, but I feel I have to say something. My best friend died after WLS. She died about a year post op due to not taking Vitamins. She insisted she didn’t need them, that she was getting vitamins from food. She said she was losing weight fine and didn’t want them because they made her feel sick. She died at the age of 28 and left behind 2 toddlers and a devastated family.

Many people say, “well my blood work is fine”. Vitamin deficiency actually takes a long time to show up in blood work (several months at least) due to the way your body tries to keep vitamins stored as a backup. By the time they are detected, oftentimes permanent damage is already done. Aside from death, deficiencies can cause irreversible damage to your body.

Please don’t be angered by my post. I really am not trying to lecture you. And maybe you know all of these things already. If so, then I apologize and you are of course free to do with your body whatever you please. But some people are just simply unaware of the possible consequences. I wish someone had come along and given this info to my friend and possibly saved her life.

Maybe there are other options for you such as a Vitamin Patch? Or the Tespo vitamin system which is just a once daily liquid “shot” of vitamins that doesn’t taste too badly actually.

I’m going to attach some screen shots of how vitamin deficiencies can effect your body. Again, I apologize if this is unwanted information. But maybe one person will find some use for it.

As of October 12, 2017, I am 4 months post op and have lost 100 pounds. I have reached my goal weight and could not be more ecstatic!

Omg! I have been taking my vitamins but this just scared I’m into making sure I never skip a day. That’s terrible!!! I’m so sorry for your loss!

I’m only 1 week post so no coffee yet but as soon as that 3 week mark hits I’m going straight to Starbucks

Just have a coffee though. Not one of those milkshakes they call "frappes". Seriously, the lattes and moccachinos and the like are killers!

Coffee with some cream, a dry Cappuccino, even a flat white (though I didn't do those till at goal).

Two and a half years out: I drink one cup of coffee a day. Many sleevers do a low carb diet, but I don't. My nutritionist actually doesn't want me to do that due to my workout routine. I really think that is about all that I break. I don't do any type of diet. If I want it, I eat it. I do eat every 2 to 3 hours which some say sleevers aren't supposed to, but my nutritionist recommends that for me. I don't wait 30 minutes after a meal to drink Water. I won't drink a lot right after I eat, but I do have a drink of water sometimes.

Why aren’t sleevers supposed to eat every 2-3 hours? I do better on many small meals

Why aren’t sleevers supposed to eat every 2-3 hours? I do better on many small meals

Some plans allow it others don't.

The idea behind plans that don't allow it is can "out eat" a sleeve by eating small amounts all day long, it's called grazing.

My plan was fine with it and small Protein mini meals were the only way I could eat enough until I was more than a year out. I still mostly eat that way. As long as you are mindful of what you eat and aren't relying only on restriction to limit you, you're probably fine.

I see some people that responded saying they still eat the same foods they ate before, just less. I can't help wondering if that is a bad decision. Everything I have read and researched on successfully maintaining your weight loss says not to do this. I'm not talking about once in a while having a small treat, but really eating the same junk, fast food, processed sugar, ect.. ect..

I'm not sure why you would go through all of this and not take advantage of the opportunity to change your lifestyle and adopt healthier eating habits? Im just asking because I am really curious if many people 2-4 years out are still able to maintain a healthy weight eating junk?

Oh, shucks.. cigarettes.. you can tell I'm tired. Hankering for smoked meats.. almost forgot which board I was on..
Well, I'm proud of you for steering clear! One day (hour, minute) at a time! You've got this! {Hugs}

LOL berry! I thought u were pulling my leg on purpose! So funny!!

I see some people that responded saying they still eat the same foods they ate before, just less. I can't help wondering if that is a bad decision. Everything I have read and researched on successfully maintaining your weight loss says not to do this. I'm not talking about once in a while having a small treat, but really eating the same junk, fast food, processed sugar, ect.. ect..
I'm not sure why you would go through all of this and not take advantage of the opportunity to change your lifestyle and adopt healthier eating habits? Im just asking because I am really curious if many people 2-4 years out are still able to maintain a healthy weight eating junk?

I'm four years out.

I took the whole time till goal (which for me was almost exactly a year) to eat NONE of the junk that made me fat. I followed my plan to the letter. I completely eliminated almost all simple and processed carbs--bread, Pasta, potatoes, rice, crackers, etc. I ate almost no fruit because of the sugar content. No sweetened drinks. Not even once in a while or a bite or two at holidays/parties. I do and have always done fake sugar. Sue me, but to this day I need Protein supplement and haven't found one I like without it and it doesn't seem to affect me.

Once I got to goal it was Christmas and I tried moderation and gained about 10 pounds! Got back on my program and dropped it. There are things I know I can't open the door to now (hello cheezits), there are things I don't care for anymore--that I've lost my interest in (potatoes, pasta, sweet drinks) and things that don't agree with me (rice, untoasted bread). Other things I can do and enjoy in moderation (cookies, pizza, alcohol). Some now have a place in my normal diet (fruit, oatmeal).

But for me it was important to have that year of a reset! To break my habits, to learn new ones, to change my relationship with food and to change my tastes and cravings.

That's what worked for me!