Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning Pre-Op Process

Hi all, my name is Latesha, I am 24 years old; I live in Columbia, South Carolina. I am currently going through the steps to be able to be approved for VSG. I am so nervous of gaining too much weight within the 3 month period. My insurance company which is AETNA does not allow me to gain any excessive amount of weight or I'll have to do the nutrition course over. I'm currently at the stage where I have "food funerals". Any one else experience this? I just want to do well and hopefully get a surgery date by January 2018. Anyone live in South Carolina?

Welcome Latesha! I'm pre op also but for Duodenal switch. I'm in North Carolina. I'm worried about gaining as well. My doctor didn't put me on a diet but I'm trying to be mindful of what I put in mouth. lol. Good luck on your journey and hopefully we will both have our surgeries in January! [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-S907VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome Latesha! I'm pre op also but for Duodenal switch. I'm in North Carolina. I'm worried about gaining as well. My doctor didn't put me on a diet but I'm trying to be mindful of what I put in mouth. lol. Good luck on your journey and hopefully we will both have our surgeries in January! [emoji38]

Latesha,

i was in a similar situation. My BMI on initial appointment was 35.3-I do have high bp and cholesterol.... I had about a 7 lb window that I could be in before dropping below 35.

I listened to the nutritionist and tried to lose lbs so substituted a shake- slim fast for 1 meal. I was able to eat somewhat healthy and some really bad (health wise) meals with I ended up losing ALMOST too much because of the shake.

My case mgr and nurse told me that if I want the surgery, and they don't like saying this, but to stop losing weight. So I cut my shake to every other day.

it's hard... but think of the end result.

I am scheduled for my sleeve 9/25... am doing the pre-op diet now.

I live close to Charleston. My bmi was right above 35, but I ended up doing cash pay in Florida 1 month ago because I couldn't meet my weight history requirement for insurance (I had 2014, 2015, 2017, but not 2016 above a bmi of 35). It was $18500 here, so I shopped around and ended up in Ft lauderdale. I'm down 15 lbs from surgery, and 30 overall! Good luck!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

How is the pre-op diet going? I'm going all the appointments now. My BMI is almost 50 which is crazy, I want to start the shakes and following the meal plan they've given me but I'm trying to make sure it's not too much. Congrats your halfway through to joining the Losers Bench!

Latesha,
i was in a similar situation. My BMI on initial appointment was 35.3-I do have high bp and cholesterol.... I had about a 7 lb window that I could be in before dropping below 35.
I listened to the nutritionist and tried to lose lbs so substituted a shake- slim fast for 1 meal. I was able to eat somewhat healthy and some really bad (health wise) meals with I ended up losing ALMOST too much because of the shake.< br> My case mgr and nurse told me that if I want the surgery, and they don't like saying this, but to stop losing weight. So I cut my shake to every other day.
it's hard... but think of the end result.
I am scheduled for my sleeve 9/25... am doing the pre-op diet now.

Congrats on your surgery! Wow that's crazy, you didn't have a core mobility? Do you have a YouTube or weight loss Instagram?

Welcome! I very purposefully did not do "food funerals" because I didn't want to be obsessing over what I couldn't have. I just kept telling myself I couldn't have it for a while but in the future.if I want a bite then that is ok if I have met my Protein goal. Then I don't have that panic of thinking I will never get to have a favorite food again. My psychologist said 1-2 bites is reasonable, and if you can't stick to that, you just tell yourself you need a break from it until you can stick to that. The VSG has helped me feel satisfied with just that when before I needed to binge on the while thing.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

I have aetna pos ii and you can not gain a pound by the time you end the 3 month period. If you start at 261 you have to end at 261 or lower or they will not approve the request for surgery. Im in nj so not sure if its any diff there but there was no if ands or buts up here. Id say wait until your approved before you have any food funerals if you want to have them.

What is Duodenal switch? Good luck on your journey as well!

The duodenal switch is a Bariatric surgery that consists of a sleeve and two anastomoses of the intestine. It's both a restrictive (sleeve) and malabsorptive (rerouted intestines) surgery. Has a better long term outlook when it comes to regain than just the sleeve alone. It's a much more complex surgery than the others and not all surgeons do it.

There is also a single anastomoses duodenal switch known as SIPS, SADI or the LOOP. Which has a longer common channel than the traditional or "full" DS.

I also have Aetna pos II, my surgeon asked me to lose 10% of my body weight pre surgery. I didn't quite make the 10%, but it is important to do your best to lose some prior to in order to shrink your liver. That's why most surgeons require a preop diet.

it's kinda a combo of VSG and gastric bypass, thanks so much!