Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello friends!

My story is a little long, so thanks for taking the time to read it!

I received a GB in Dec 2012 because I had kidney disease and I needed a transplant. The Dr's told me they wouldn't do it unless I lost 100 lbs. I was at 317 lbs then. A year later I had lost about 140 lbs and I was listed on the waiting list. The goal was to get a transplant before I needed dialysis, but it didn't work out that way. I started dialysis at home at 187 lbs (but it added about 500 cals a day against my will) in 2015 and when I got the call that there was a kidney for me two years later, I had gained 50 lbs. The morning of the surgery I weighed 236. The next morning I gingerly got on the scale and weighed 258!!! Of course my first question was to ask how heavy was the kidney! Most of it was Fluid, of course, but they had pumped me full of steroids before, during, and after the surgery to avoid rejection and that contributed to the gain. That was 2 months ago. I'm now at 250, down just 8 lbs. Yes, I'm still on steroids but they are slowly lowering the dose as I progress. My new kidney is doing awesome and I'm feeling better every day!

I've been given the green light to start walking and doing some light core strengthening exercises since my abdominal muscles are pretty much shot right now. I'm walking a collective mile every day, but I'm having trouble with my diet.

My bypass still works well, I stop when I'm full, and my portions are still small. My issue is that the prednisone makes me want to eat more so I find myself grazing a lot. I try to opt for healthy foods, but it doesn't seem to be making much of a dent in my weight.

I saw my wls surgeon this week and he's not worried at all. He said my weight will fluctuate the first year so not to worry. Easy for him to say, he can fit all of his clothes!

My goal right now is to just get back to my pre-transplant weight so I don't freeze this winter. I can't wear sun dresses much longer!

Thanks for reading my story! I'm hoping that reading your stories will motivate me to continue working on my goals!

PhotoGrid_1396027786061.jpg

I'm so happy to read you're on the road to complete, recovery. You look great, let that be said! I wish I could lend more than just encouragement, but when it comes to what you've gone through, I wouldn't know what to suggest. Motivation, I simply never forget the journey traveled. When I'm tempted, I remember where I once was and where I refuse to be again. I didn't have a food addiction, actually, in my moments of stress, I don't eat at all. You're doing such a wonderful job, as your Dr. said, with everything you've gone through it will take time for the WL to catch up. Don't worry, things will be just fine.

Congrats on finding a kidney and on getting the WLS and losing so much!!! I can't speak to you re: WLS diets since I'm still pre-op. But dayum, I'm a pro at how NOT to gain while taking steroids.

During cancer treatment, I had to have steroid infusions every 2 weeks prior to chemo. I have also had prednisone for a blood disease on and off from age 6mos to 11 years and then on and off for asthma after that. So I definitely know what it feels like to have steroid hunger. It's like, "Hello hungry hungry hippo! Not pleased to meetcha...again...!" During cancer treatment, I actually lost about 60lbs while most people gain 20-30lbs. I was able to control my appetite. I still got the moon face and unrecognizable features, but didn't balloon up and didn't have intractable hunger. So it can be done!

I know that people with kidney disease are often on specific diets? Are you on any special diets for the CKD? Do you have to avoid certain foods (i.e. purines, etc)?

Edited by FluffyChix

Congrats on finding a kidney and on getting the WLS and losing so much!!! I can't speak to you re: WLS diets since I'm still pre-op. But dayum, I'm a pro at how NOT to gain while taking steroids.
During cancer treatment, I had to have steroid infusions every 2 weeks prior to chemo. I have also had prednisone for a blood disease on and off from age 6mos to 11 years and then on and off for asthma after that. So I definitely know what it feels like to have steroid hunger. It's like, "Hello hungry hungry hippo! Not pleased to meetcha...again...!" During cancer treatment, I actually lost about 60lbs while most people gain 20-30lbs. I was able to control my appetite. I still got the moon face and unrecognizable features, but didn't balloon up and didn't have intractable hunger. So it can be done!
I know that people with kidney disease are often on specific diets? Are you on any special diets for the CKD? Do you have to avoid certain foods (i.e. purines, etc)?

Thanks for the encouragement! It sounds like you've been through a lot, too! I hope you're doing well!

Thankfully I don't have a specific diet to follow at this point, just a heart healthy one. So how did you beat the prednisone battle??

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm so happy to read you're on the road to complete, recovery. You look great, let that be said! I wish I could lend more than just encouragement, but when it comes to what you've gone through, I wouldn't know what to suggest. Motivation, I simply never forget the journey traveled. When I'm tempted, I remember where I once was and where I refuse to be again. I didn't have a food addiction, actually, in my moments of stress, I don't eat at all. You're doing such a wonderful job, as your Dr. said, with everything you've gone through it will take time for the WL to catch up. Don't worry, things will be just fine.

Thank you for your motivation! Unfortunately I don't look like that anymore, but I plan to, hopefully in the near future!

Good luck with your surgery!

17 minutes ago, Redoableme said:

Thankfully I don't have a specific diet to follow at this point, just a heart healthy one. So how did you beat the prednisone battle??

Yay for you!!! That's awesome! Well, for starters, you have to figure out from your docs what "protein adequate" means to them, with reference for you. My docs are happy with my 60-70g of protein/day. And that's not "that much!"

Next, completely get rid of all high glycemic crap. No matter HOW good it tastes or how much your body is tellin' you you need it. Cuz it is a lieing liar that lies!

Next go back to WLS basics. No drinking before meals, or 30mins-1hr post meals. Eat Protein first...and SLOWLY. Eat veggies second. And that's it. Cut out the fruit except every few days you could have 1oz of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries with some protein and fat (like walnuts or almonds and a string cheese).

Eat only 3 meals per day.

Eat as low fat as possible: use extra virgin olive oil spray, molly mcbutter, lean lean Proteins, Real Egg Whites or eggbeaters, 2% cheese, low fat cottage cheese and low fat greek yogurts--but READ to make sure not high carb or high sugar. Here I get 2% Daisy Cottage Cheese and get HEB plain 0Fat Greek Yogurt that only has like 4g of carbs per serving. Think a serving is 1cup for each? Keep your calories around 700-800. I used lots of hot sauce bottles with stuff!

My meals were like:

B: 2-3 egg whites scrambled with 1 1/2 oz baby greens + mushrooms + 1 slice Hillshire Farms Ham or Turkey (3 slices = 50 cals), hot sauce

L: 3oz lean protein, 1/2-1 cup of cooked veggies, or 2cups of mixed salad, plus 1oz avocado, Walden Farm dressing

D: same as lunch

S: 6 almonds or 1 serving sugar free Jello

The first 3-4 days are relatively painful. Drink lots of water! After that, you will lose your appetite and start feeling fuller--especially if you take small bites and eat dense protein first. This may all be different for you cuz of quantities. I am non-WLS and this is pretty much how I did it for the cancer treatment and any time I'm on steroids. IF I want to eat between meals, then I will ONLY eat a hardboiled egg with Walden Farms zero cal Chipotle mayo. If that doesn't sound good, then I won't eat between meals.

I am eating this way right now, and am now eating 1000cals a day pre-surg. I eat a LOT more veggies than are listed above, but I'm not on steroids (although I just recently had a shot to the hip of cortisone--I didn't have any weight gain or terrible hunger from that shot). But otherwise, I pretty much stick to this. I also eat a little more avocado now too (for added fat cals).

Edited by FluffyChix

Yay for you!!! That's awesome! Well, for starters, you have to figure out from your docs what "protein adequate" means to them, with reference for you. My docs are happy with my 60-70g of protein/day. And that's not "that much!"
Next, completely get rid of all high glycemic crap. No matter HOW good it tastes or how much your body is tellin' you you need it. Cuz it is a lieing liar that lies!
Next go back to WLS basics. No drinking before meals, or 30mins-1hr post meals. Eat Protein first...and SLOWLY. Eat veggies second. And that's it. Cut out the fruit except every few days you could have 1oz of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries with some protein and fat (like walnuts or almonds and a string cheese).
Eat only 3 meals per day.
Eat as low fat as possible: use extra virgin olive oil spray, molly mcbutter, lean lean Proteins, Real Egg Whites or eggbeaters, 2% cheese, low fat cottage cheese and low fat greek yogurts--but READ to make sure not high carb or high sugar. Here I get 2% Daisy Cottage Cheese and get HEB plain 0Fat Greek Yogurt that only has like 4g of carbs per serving. Think a serving is 1cup for each? Keep your calories around 700-800. I used lots of hot sauce bottles with stuff!
My meals were like:
B: 2-3 egg whites scrambled with 1 1/2 oz baby greens + mushrooms + 1 slice Hillshire Farms Ham or Turkey (3 slices = 50 cals), hot sauce
L: 3oz lean protein, 1/2-1 cup of cooked veggies, or 2cups of mixed salad, plus 1oz avocado, Walden Farm dressing
D: same as lunch
S: 6 almonds or 1 serving sugar free jello
The first 3-4 days are relatively painful. Drink lots of water! After that, you will lose your appetite and start feeling fuller--especially if you take small bites and eat dense protein first. This may all be different for you cuz of quantities. I am non-WLS and this is pretty much how I did it for the cancer treatment and any time I'm on steroids. IF I want to eat between meals, then I will ONLY eat a hardboiled egg with Walden Farms zero cal Chipotle mayo. If that doesn't sound good, then I won't eat between meals.
I am eating this way right now, and am now eating 1000cals a day pre-surg. I eat a LOT more veggies than are listed above, but I'm not on steroids (although I just recently had a shot to the hip of cortisone--I didn't have any weight gain or terrible hunger from that shot). But otherwise, I pretty much stick to this. I also eat a little more avocado now too (for added fat cals).

Thanks for the diet suggestion! I used to eat 2 eggs every morning but since transplant they don't agree with me and my new meds. It seems everything reacts differently with my body now, so I'm trying things as if they're brand new now. Fresh veggies are hit and miss, but I'm good when they're cooked. Right now my Breakfast is just a 1/2 cup of bran Cereal with almond milk. lunch is something like a bean and cheese burrito or grilled cheese on oat wheat bread, and dinner is usually a few oz of protein and 1/2 cup of veggies. Snacks are things like yogurt, low carb chips and salsa, unsalted sunflower seeds, pistachios, and tons of Water. I'm still trying new things so that will change I'm sure.