Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 9 weeks post op, and I've been struggling with nausea and consequently hydration. My doctor felt concerned and referred me for a barium swallow / fluoroscopy. This morning was the test day, and I have no idea how the liquid barium swallowing went, as I don't know what to look for on the images. However, the last test they did was swallowing a barium tablet. It only made it halfway down my esophagus! They had me drink more Water, wait, more water, and more waiting, but after 15 minutes or so they gave up and said the tablet will dissolve soon anyways.

So of course now I'm googling everything, and I'm thinking it could be an esophageal stricture. I know I should just wait for my doctor to call, but Lord knows how long that will take with the Holiday weekend and such, and I can't stop worrying.

Would a stricture in the esophagus even be from sleeve surgery? Does anyone have any experience with strictures? Any input is appreciated!

HW: 296

Pre-Op Diet Starting Weight: 278.4

SW: 262

CW: 228

Surgery date: 6/26/17

There are several different things that might cause that result. If it is an actual stricture, I will be surprised. It's more likely that it's a motility disorder (which can range from mild to severe). Yours is likely not severe since the liquids go down.

Here is some info that may not even be applicable (I'm not a doctor! And I don't know what is happening with you.. these are just guesses)...

but at least you can learn about motility disorders...

https://ctsurgerypatients.org/lung-esophageal-and-other-chest-diseases/achalasia-and-esophageal-motility-disorders

Hi Sarah-

My first suggestion is to be kind to yourself and relax. The more intense and upset you get, the harder it will be to swallow anything. I am wondering if your surgeon used a very small bougie when he performed your surgery. Some docs, mine included, go down a size from the standard because they know it will eventually stretch and this gives your surgery a chance at longer restriction. If he did choose this approach then embrace his conservative technique. I can almost promise that you are going to be just fine. Strictures do happen but they are few and far between. If the restriction is causing you lots of anxiety they can usually stretch the opening a few millimeters through endoscopy and you will be happy as a clam. Only the doc can read your imaging and make the decision about the need to do the endoscopy.

I studied the long term complication rates of sleeve gastrectomy for my MHA thesis and I can't recall anyone having life altering issues from restriction that was too aggressive. The endoscopy is literally a 15 minute procedure. Usually they put you out but they might use a strong RX so you won't remember it happening. Outpatient procedure and the fix is immediate.

Hope that helps you relax a bit. I am not a doctor but I spent months is bariatric journals and patient charts and that would be my best guess. Definitely follow up but you will be fine until Tuesday if the doc is out of town. Not eating for a day or two can be tolerated. If you can't get liquids down, that is a whole different story and you need to get medical attention immediately! Perhaps you should resort to Protein Shakes and Clear Liquids to help with the nausea until you can see the doc.

Good luck!

Teachkdz0507