Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret but not regret

Hi all,

This is my first time posting my own thread and at this point I feel so lousy I'm desperate. I got sleeved two days ago (8/23) and released about 26 hours ago. I'm so miserable I'm regretting the surgery but at the same time I know I won't long term. It's just anxiety, gas and pain making me uncomfortable.

The pain isn't too bad but I definitely vomited up one of my liquid pain killer doses and I'm not getting down anything near the 64 ounces or 80-100 g of Protein they want. Spoke to my surgeon's team several times today and they were mildly concerned but I told them I spent the day sleeping, sipped on liquids whenever I was awake (short periods of time) and my urination is light colored and frequent. I have so many pills I have to try and swallow tonight too. The first two nights I skipped almost all of them but I have 4 huge 800 mg gabapentin to take.

Anyone struggle as much as me right away?

Yes, I did struggle too. I'm 9 days post op now, and I can say it's become MUCH better. I kept reading on here that it gets better, so I decided to believe it and it's true. It may take you all day to get in enough Water. I realized I was trying to drink to 3 much at once. I was also told to crush my meds. I hope things get better for you soon!

HW 305, SW 265, RNY 8.17.17

I was told no pills bigger than an aspirin. You can ask the pharmacy if they can be cut in half or crushed. Pills, for me were (and still are 7 weeks out) the worst part. The bigger the pill, the worse it is.
Sip what you can. I couldn't get 64oz in for the first few days.
Good luck

I split my huge pills in half and take about 15 minutes for each one. I was given kind of large pills even while in the hospital.

My first day home I really struggled with fluids. Today I not only reached my fluids very early afternoon but I got 146 g of Protein.

No poop yet [emoji24]

It gets better! I struggled at first as well. I had a lot of regret initially and immediately wanted to take it back. But then the weeks passed and it got better. Concentrate on fluids first these first few weeks out. Once you get on pureed you can start bumping up the Protein. There are days I still don't get the protein I should in (I always hit 60 but my goal is 90) but I always try and get my Water in.

As for pills, I crushed mine for the first 2 weeks or took liquid.

Same place. I'm 5 days post op and struggling. Regret decision to go under the knife. I've lost lots in the past but regained it time and time again. So I think I could have done it myself but in reality I couldn't bc I never have. But this isn't as easy as they made it seem. I am famished. Reading all these posts help. It's done and I can't go back but I sure am doubting my choice.

I definitely have absolutely no issue getting my Protein. Today I think I got 159 g. Same with my liquids. I also feel starving but I'm praying it's just head hunger. I know lots of people are convinced their surgeon botched the size of the sleeve. Another week to puréed foods seems like a lifetime.

KateBruin you have done a big part of this journey. Getting through the surgery that is. I am 4 weeks post op. I did not experience regret but I have heard some people do. I can understand how feelings of regret can set it. It is a tough journey. As l said, I did not regret but one day in week 2 I was close to tears. I just couldn't drink ......One. More. Shake! It may be of little comfort right now but believe me when I say that it gets better. Give yourself a few days and you will begin to get used to your new tummy. That's why when I hear someone say that WLS is the " easy way out," I feel like punching them in the throat. It is not the easy way out. It's still hard work.

KateBruin you have done a big part of this journey. Getting through the surgery that is. I am 4 weeks post op. I did not experience regret but I have heard some people do. I can understand how feelings of regret can set it. It is a tough journey. As l said, I did not regret but one day in week 2 I was close to tears. I just couldn't drink ......One. More. Shake! It may be of little comfort right now but believe me when I say that it gets better. Give yourself a few days and you will begin to get used to your new tummy. That's why when I hear someone say that WLS is the " easy way out," I feel like punching them in the throat. It is not the easy way out. It's still hard work.

Thanks! I'm basically past the regret phase. I was just so uncomfortable and full with gas, pain and bloating I didn't know how I could go on living. I'm already sick to death of the full liquids diet. I wish my doctor would approve me for purée early since I'm doing such a great job meeting my Protein and liquid goals. But, according to him the most dangerous time is 7-10 or 7-14 days post op (I was on drugs at the time)

Not sure if I said it here but I'd kill for some chicken/tuna salad on a low carb pita or gluten free type cracker.

Any word on whether over drinking can expand the stomach and essentially undo the surgery? Is that basically urban myth except for those who binge eat?

Hi all,
This is my first time posting my own thread and at this point I feel so lousy I'm desperate. I got sleeved two days ago (8/23) and released about 26 hours ago. I'm so miserable I'm regretting the surgery but at the same time I know I won't long term. It's just anxiety, gas and pain making me uncomfortable.
The pain isn't too bad but I definitely vomited up one of my liquid pain killer doses and I'm not getting down anything near the 64 ounces or 80-100 g of Protein they want. Spoke to my surgeon's team several times today and they were mildly concerned but I told them I spent the day sleeping, sipped on liquids whenever I was awake (short periods of time) and my urination is light colored and frequent. I have so many pills I have to try and swallow tonight too. The first two nights I skipped almost all of them but I have 4 huge 800 mg gabapentin to take.
Anyone struggle as much as me right away?

I was told to wean off the Gabapentin before surgery. I don't know your situation though. Maybe cut then in half to help and try swallowing one every 15 mins. Take your nausea med before your pills as well to help keep them down. I felt regret as well I the beginning. It'll definitely pass once you get through the crappy first few weeks. I agree with sleep and sip bc your body is healing and the sleep helps. Be sure to walk as well though when you are awake. Good luck.

I was told to wean off the Gabapentin before surgery. I don't know your situation though. Maybe cut then in half to help and try swallowing one every 15 mins. Take your nausea med before your pills as well to help keep them down. I felt regret as well I the beginning. It'll definitely pass once you get through the crappy first few weeks. I agree with sleep and sip bc your body is healing and the sleep helps. Be sure to walk as well though when you are awake. Good luck.

That's what I do. It's 4 huge pills that I split into 8 large but manageable pills. Do 1-2 every 15 minutes or so. I could probably do it faster but don't want to vomit so slow it is.

Hi,

I'm about 5.5 months out. The first 7-10 days were painful and just plain crappy for me. Drinking hurt - Water especially. I had to walk around in circles while I sipped or it would just sit there. I ended up getting a lot of my liquids from sugar free popsicles the first couple days, as well as Powerade Zero. But it took me easily a week to get to the 64oz minimum liquids, and about the same to hit my Protein goals. I had to crush ALL pills for the first 6 weeks so I'm not helpful on that one. I'm sure I had some regret those first weeks but honestly I don't remember it much at this point.

After about 2 weeks I felt SO much better. Now at 5.5 months, I feel completely normal. I can eat almost anything I want (good, but sometimes not so good, lol), just in smaller amounts. The only time I have pain is when I eat too fast or too much (which is good, in my opinion - tells me to slow down or stop). It WILL get better. Focus on liquids and protein and the rest will come!

Hi,
I'm about 5.5 months out. The first 7-10 days were painful and just plain crappy for me. Drinking hurt - Water especially. I had to walk around in circles while I sipped or it would just sit there. I ended up getting a lot of my liquids from sugar free popsicles the first couple days, as well as Powerade Zero. But it took me easily a week to get to the 64oz minimum liquids, and about the same to hit my Protein goals. I had to crush ALL pills for the first 6 weeks so I'm not helpful on that one. I'm sure I had some regret those first weeks but honestly I don't remember it much at this point.
After about 2 weeks I felt SO much better. Now at 5.5 months, I feel completely normal. I can eat almost anything I want (good, but sometimes not so good, lol), just in smaller amounts. The only time I have pain is when I eat too fast or too much (which is good, in my opinion - tells me to slow down or stop). It WILL get better. Focus on liquids and protein and the rest will come!

I'm 2 weeks out tomorrow/today? and I'm definitely getting better. Water is still nearly impossible so I sip like a gerbil. I've also had a couple diet cokes, which are my kryptonite but I make sure to drink extra liquids to balance out the caffeine.

I have no problem with pills. I think it was mostly mental the first couple days.

Today I seriously wanted to emotionally eat (not binge but eat anything naughty) because I got a horrible rare lung disease diagnosis. Treated myself to a smoothie instead. Yes, I exceeded my sugar allotment but it was the best I could do today.

Dying for some tuna and sweet potato that I get later this week!

I was not allowed to swollow pills for 3 weeks or so .

It does get easier, their are bumps along the road but really its such an amazing thing to havedone , keep your chin up and it will gett better your so early on the liquid stage was my worst stage.