Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sh*t's about to get real!

Okay, so this is what I wanted what I've beg for what, I've waited for.... Now that I have a surgery date and it's approaching I'm starting to literally freaked out....please tell me that's totally normal!!......

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Very normal. I had my surgery just three days ago. The first two days had its moments, but coming into day 3, I am home and its going well. My pain is well controlled as is the gas with a host of meds they send you out with. As for the pre-op nerves, I went through multiple waves of this and continually debated should I do it, should I not. But at the end of the day, I thought of the consequences of not doing it in terms of the future health problems that most likely would occur and I kept on. It is not a minor surgery and there will be some challenges. But the worst is the first few days after surgery and it isn't anything that isn't manageable. So what you are feeling is very normal and just the process one goes through to get from here to there. Good luck!

Very real! This will be my first ever surgery in life! Ive never even been admitted to the hospital in my whole 28 years of living! But when I got the call yesterday to schedule my health assessment with the anesthesiologist and the surgery schedule is when it got real. I am very nervous since the only procedure Ive ever had was wisdom teeth extraction but Im definitely ready,

I really just think Im nervous about the pain I may feel after the procedure.

Edited by ashleey921

For the entire nine months that I've been doing my program, I kept saying "IF I decide to do the surgery...". And then last week I went in for my pre admission appointment, and had the realization that this is really happening and I am going through with it.

i think it's really good for us to note our fears and concerns, and to write about WHY we are having the surgery. It will really help us in those first few weeks after surgery when we start having regrets.

I am freaking out too !! The whole time I was also like " if " I do it. Well I am doing it , this is happening ! I am excited and also very nervous. The only time I have ever been admitted to the hospital is when I had my son . The thing that is keeping me going is looking at clothes I will be able to wear because I looove clothes and fashion and have been living in leggings and tunics for years. I cannot wait to go shopping. I also have been checking out running groups at the YMCA I go to. I am planning to start running and hopefully start doing marathons .. I am trying to keep it positive by thinking of the new me and not worrying about not being able to eat and the pain. But I totally am freaking out too !!!

Okay, so this is what I wanted what I've beg for what, I've waited for.... Now that I have a surgery date and it's approaching I'm starting to literally freaked out....please tell me that's totally normal!!......
Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

It is normal, it's something new and that can be scary.

I had LapBand in 2009 and I can tell you that you have every reason to expect the surgery will go fine. They are really good at this by now and complications are extremely unlikely. But the best part is, life gets so much better. I lost 110% of of my excess weight with the band and it felt wonderful to be a person of "normal" size. After I had it done, new people I met could not believe I was formally obese. My band recently failed, and I feel the weight creeping back up again. Now I am getting the sleeve to get back to that amazing feeling of "normal size" again.

It's so good to hear that other people had the "should I do it, should I not do it" feeling! I felt like it was really hard to make up my mind. I thought I was the only one!

It's so good to hear that other people had the "should I do it, should I not do it" feeling! I felt like it was really hard to make up my mind. I thought I was the only one!

Let's face it, most of us have some sort of issue with food or else we wouldn't be in this predicament. I can tell you that for me, the band helped a lot - but I still had to work to be successful. The sleeve will be the same way. It will be a fantastic tool, but it is still possible to cheat so you need to overcome those inner demons.

I have lived the past 10 years of my life hearing about "other" people having WLS, but never even entertained the thought of having it myself. I was used to my life and how I looked. I hated how I looked. It had affected my psyche, to the point of finally getting depressed. Well let me tell you, I am still very young in my head even though my age is 61, but my confidence and my inner persona was like shi*, where have I been?

A year ago, I "found myself" (finally), and contacted my PCP. She put in a consult with an endocrinologist. Best thing that ever happened to me. I worked very hard mentally, did the meds, ate right (sometimes) talked to dietitians, etc. etc. I googled everything about WLS and when I went to YouTube, viola!. I saw videos of patients, success stories, failures and actual surgeons performing the procedures in an operating room. Way to cool. I want the sleeve!

I am a veteran so I choose to use the Kansas City VA Hospital. To make a long story short, they are paying a private surgeon of my choice to sleeve me. I still had a few things to conquer, psychology testing, heart, lungs, blood work, blah, blah, blah. After passing all the required testing, I was given the OK, and I will never forget that feeling. My surgeon recently gave me a date (Sept. 18th), and I start my 2 week pre-op on the 4th. The adrenaline, butterfly's and fireworks are going nuts now. The closer I get the more the reality of it sets in. Everyday is better than the last, because I am one day closer to being sleeved. The reality is awesome and I feel your excitement. So much deserved congratulations to you and enjoy life to the fullest !!!!!!!!

,,,, thanks for reading my little story!

Edited by RSM

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, ashleey921 said:

Very real! This will be my first ever surgery in life! Ive never even been admitted to the hospital in my whole 28 years of living! But when I got the call yesterday to schedule my health assessment with the anesthesiologist and the surgery schedule is when it got real. I am very nervous since the only procedure Ive ever had was wisdom teeth extraction but Im definitely ready,

I really just think Im nervous about the pain I may feel after the procedure.

Pain will be managed. You will be uncomfortable for a couple of days. But think about all those clothes in the back of your closet that you are going to look amazing in. All of the good things coming up. The holidays, new years eve. No more new years resolutions about losing weight. You can do this... we all can... you got this far. Don't give up...

I have lived the past 10 years of my life hearing about "other" people having WLS, but never even entertained the thought of having it myself. I was used to my life and how I looked. I hated how I looked. It had affected my psyche, to the point of finally getting depressed. Well let me tell you, I am still very young in my head even though my age is 61, but my confidence and my inner persona was like shi*, where have I been?
A year ago, I "found myself" (finally), and contacted my PCP. She put in a consult with an endocrinologist. Best thing that ever happened to me. I worked very hard mentally, did the meds, ate right (sometimes) talked to dietitians, etc. etc. I googled everything about WLS and when I went to YouTube, viola!. I saw videos of patients, success stories, failures and actual surgeons performing the procedures in an operating room. Way to cool. I want the sleeve!
I am a veteran so I choose to use the Kansas City VA Hospital. To make a long story short, they are paying a private surgeon of my choice to sleeve me. I still had a few things to conquer, psychology testing, heart, lungs, blood work, blah, blah, blah. After passing all the required testing, I was given the OK, and I will never forget that feeling. My surgeon recently gave me a date (Sept. 18th), and I start my 2 week pre-op on the 4th. The adrenaline, butterfly's and fireworks are going nuts now. The closer I get the more the reality of it sets in. Everyday is better than the last, because I am one day closer to being sleeved. The reality is awesome and I feel your excitement. So much deserved congratulations to you and enjoy life to the fullest !!!!!!!!
,,,, thanks for reading my little story!

I'm excited for you! I'm also 61 just waiting for my surgery date. I never thought I would do this. But I don't see any other way I'm in so much pain my knees my back I cry in pain every day. I have a wonderful husband who takes very good care of me. But he doesn't realize he makes me feel like an invalid sometimes. So I am going to get sleeved for me it's my time to take care of me! I can't wait for this journey to really began. I may need to take care of him someday as he's 8 years older. I need to be healthy to do that. Prayers to all of my fellow sleevers.

38 minutes ago, grammyPammy said:

I'm excited for you! I'm also 61 just waiting for my surgery date. I never thought I would do this. But I don't see any other way I'm in so much pain my knees my back I cry in pain every day. I have a wonderful husband who takes very good care of me. But he doesn't realize he makes me feel like an invalid sometimes. So I am going to get sleeved for me it's my time to take care of me! I can't wait for this journey to really began. I may need to take care of him someday as he's 8 years older. I need to be healthy to do that. Prayers to all of my fellow sleevers.

I don't know how much you weigh, but I weigh 280#. My point is, I intend to lose minimum 90#. That will be like getting a 90# backpack off of me relieving stress on a back I have had 2 surgery's on. I wish you much luck!!!!!

I don't know how much you weigh, but I weigh 280#. My point is, I intend to lose minimum 90#. That will be like getting a 90# backpack off of me relieving stress on a back I have had 2 surgery's on. I wish you much luck!!!!!

I was 282 when I got my LapBand (I'm 5'11"). I dropped as low as 170, but felt fantastic even at 190 (which was a 92lb loss).