Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you started preparing for surgery?

I am only 3 weeks away from surgery, but I am not able to tune my head into a new and healthy way of living. More the opposite, really, I'm eating like I will never be able to eat again. I don't have to go on a preop diet.

How are you doing?

I've lost 30 lbs so far before my September 18 sleeve. My head's in a place where I tell myself i can eat this or that later, few months after sleeve. Ive heard stories about people who have gained weight before sleeve & they then wouldnt do the sleeve for them. I start my 2 wk preop liquid diet on September 4th. Then i hear they can tell if U cheat. Lol think I'll just lock myself in my room. Im not cooking for anyone hubbys on his own ; )

I had my final weigh in with my pcp on 7/5 and started liquid pre op diet shortly thereafter. Well between slowing scheduling at the surgeons office and insurance approval my date is set for 9/21. [emoji35][emoji35] So I'm kinda in a pissy mind frame right now. I want to eat everything under the sun because I've basically been starving myself for nothing for weeks.

On 17.8.2017 at 3:11 PM, jacinthapittman said:

I had my final weigh in with my pcp on 7/5 and started liquid pre op diet shortly thereafter. Well between slowing scheduling at the surgeons office and insurance approval my date is set for 9/21. emoji35.pngemoji35.png So I'm kinda in a pissy mind frame right now. I want to eat everything under the sun because I've basically been starving myself for nothing for weeks.

Oh, wow, I'm so sorry! Hope you are able to motivate yourself for the next round.

I have to pay myself, so I dont' think they will reject me with a higher weight. But it is definately not good for me to gain even more.

I'm reading Weight loss surgery for Dummies, and apperantly it is not unusual to have "the last supper" for weeks before surgery. Well, 12 days until the big day!

I've lost over 40 pounds so far, so I've definitely started to overcome my food addiction, which is huge for me. Since I am starting my pre op liquid diet Monday, I am going to treat myself a little this weekend.

Im scheduled for 9/1. I started my pre op diet early on 8/1 just to prepare myself and to try and lose a few pounds before surgery, with a few cheats here and there. I am currently doing strictly Protein Shakes, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, Soups, sugar free pudding, unsweetened applesauce, and I've pureed veggies a few times. My doctor is very adamant that no weight is gained before surgery. My weight fluctuates so much, I thought I'd be losing barely eating anything basically starving myself and compared to others Im not losing like I thought I would. My surgeons pre op diet requires that I only eat meat, green veggies, eggs and cheese, but I chose not to bc I can gain weight like nothing. Im losing/maintaining my weight. He did inform me that a few pounds gained is ok as long as I didnt go overboard and gain 10-15lbs I will be ok. But of course I am still worried because Im about 2 pounds over my initial weight with him. I see him for pre op next tues 8/29 then surgery on friday 9/1. I pray everything is ok and I can have my surgery. I think I might just eliminate all solids from today on and drink my shakes and have broth until my surgery date.

2 minutes ago, ashleey921 said:

Im scheduled for 9/1. I started my pre op diet early on 8/1 just to prepare myself and to try and lose a few pounds before surgery, with a few cheats here and there. I am currently doing strictly Protein Shakes, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, Soups, sugar free pudding, unsweetened applesauce, and I've pureed veggies a few times. My doctor is very adamant that no weight is gained before surgery. My weight fluctuates so much, I thought I'd be losing barely eating anything basically starving myself and compared to others Im not losing like I thought I would. My surgeons pre op diet requires that I only eat meat, green veggies, eggs and cheese, but I chose not to bc I can gain weight like nothing. Im losing/maintaining my weight. He did inform me that a few pounds gained is ok as long as I didnt go overboard and gain 10-15lbs I will be ok. But of course I am still worried because Im about 2 pounds over my initial weight with him. I see him for pre op next tues 8/29 then surgery on friday 9/1. I pray everything is ok and I can have my surgery. I think I might just eliminate all solids from today on and drink my shakes and have broth until my surgery date.

Has any doctor ever figured out why you gain so easily? I'm very similar, and all I ever hear is "keep trying." It's so frustrating! I've been following the Keto diet for the last two months, and was finally able to start losing a little more steadily.

6 minutes ago, ZinNH said:

Has any doctor ever figured out why you gain so easily? I'm very similar, and all I ever hear is "keep trying." It's so frustrating! I've been following the Keto diet for the last two months, and was finally able to start losing a little more steadily.

Yes, all of my primary care drs would annoy me too with "eat a low calorie diet and exercise" which is clearly what Ive been doing lol. I researched PCOS and I literally had every symptom, so I brought that to their attention and I was told I didnt have that either by my pcp. So I saw an endocronologist who specializes in pcos, weightloss, hormone imbalances, thyroid issues, diabetes etc. He diagnosed me, but after years of trying to lose weight on my own and seeing that a symptom of pcos is weight gain and its harder for us to lose weight I knew that's what I had and after I was formally diagnosed is when i decided to have the surgery. I can lose 10lbs and gain 15 more it was a never ending cycle that needs to stop bc it is now affecting my health.

21 minutes ago, ZinNH said:

I don't have any proof, but I think my problem has been all the yo-yo dieting and the havoc it has wreaked on my metabolism. I'm really hoping the sleeve doesn't negatively impact my metabolism.

40 minutes ago, ashleey921 said:

Yes, all of my primary care drs would annoy me too with "eat a low calorie diet and exercise" which is clearly what Ive been doing lol. I researched PCOS and I literally had every symptom, so I brought that to their attention and I was told I didnt have that either by my pcp. So I saw an endocronologist who specializes in pcos, weightloss, hormone imbalances, thyroid issues, diabetes etc. He diagnosed me, but after years of trying to lose weight on my own and seeing that a symptom of pcos is weight gain and its harder for us to lose weight I knew that's what I had and after I was formally diagnosed is when i decided to have the surgery. I can lose 10lbs and gain 15 more it was a never ending cycle that needs to stop bc it is now affecting my health.

I also had PCOS symptoms, but the endocrinologist I went to wouldn't even test me for it. She ordered a bunch of tests, but she put "obesity" as the diagnosis code, which meant the insurance company wouldn't pay for them, so I didn't have them done.

My surgery is a revision, which statistically, aren't as successful as wls the first time around. I am optimistic that I will be able to beat the odds

4 hours ago, ZinNH said:

I also had PCOS symptoms, but the endocrinologist I went to wouldn't even test me for it. She ordered a bunch of tests, but she put "obesity" as the diagnosis code, which meant the insurance company wouldn't pay for them, so I didn't have them done.

My surgery is a revision, which statistically, aren't as successful as wls the first time around. I am optimistic that I will be able to beat the odds

Yea Im actually hoping this works smh. I feel like if I still have PCOS will weightloss still be hard to achieve? I've seen success stories of ppl with PCOS but idk.

7 minutes ago, ashleey921 said:

Yea Im actually hoping this works smh. I feel like if I still have PCOS will weightloss still be hard to achieve? I've seen success stories of ppl with PCOS but idk.

I think what is most frustrating is how other people look at us like we are lazy, and are choosing to not lose weght. Most people don't understand that everybody's body works differently.

A few few years ago, I went away for a girls weekend with a friend. We did everything together, and ate pretty much the same foods, and had the same level of activity. Yet when we returned home, I had gained five pounds and she had lost five pounds. My body just works differently.

I realize that this surgery won't make me thin, but I am hoping it will help me lose another 60 pounds or do, so I can be in the overweight category instead of morbidly obese.

LOL after all the research I've done this is definitely not the easy way out. But ppl think that the surgery is magic and u just lose weight without any work. We still have to eat right and exercise bc the weight can all come back plus more. While going through complications, pain, etc from having a surgical procedure. This is definitely a lifestyle change. And Im almost certain everyone who decides to have this procedure done isnt just doing it for cosmetic reasons, its because their health is at stake and theyre over it. Of course we all wanna look good who doesnt? But health is first. And easy way out? Nothing about this has been easy, not even the approval process!

I am only 3 weeks away from surgery, but I am not able to tune my head into a new and healthy way of living. More the opposite, really, I'm eating like I will never be able to eat again. I don't have to go on a preop diet.

How are you doing?

I feel very ready and as prepared as I can be (9/7/2017 date). I've been down this road before. I had LapBand in 2009 and it went great. I had a previous sleeve date but ran into a minor issue, so I've already gotten right up to the door once already.

Word of caution, try to put yourself on a preop diet anyway. Going into surgery as healthy as possible can only help in the healing process.

I had my final weigh in with my pcp on 7/5 and started liquid pre op diet shortly thereafter. Well between slowing scheduling at the surgeons office and insurance approval my date is set for 9/21. [emoji35][emoji35] So I'm kinda in a pissy mind frame right now. I want to eat everything under the sun because I've basically been starving myself for nothing for weeks.

I'm sort of in the same boat. Was on a 2 week liquid diet prior to my 8/15 only to find out on the day of surgery I had to postpone to 9/7. Got to drop back to low carb for a week and now back on liquids for two weeks. On the plus side, I lost 16 pounds the first time and am still losing now.

Hang in there, the date will come sooner than you think :)