Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nail Question After RNY: Anyone know what this means?

I had RNY May 19th and I haven't had any issues with Hair loss (yet) my a few of my nails are growing in funny. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know why? See photo, I've NEVER had this happen before.IMG_5302.JPG

Same here with my nails lifting & being very soft/brittle. I am trying fungi nail serum applied at night for the lifting & applying a nail hardener daily. Pre surgery I took hair, skin, & nails gummies but can't take them now. I'm thinking it is a result of Vitamin deficiency maybe?

After my sleeve, my nails did this too. It was about 3 months out when it happened... and then about 3 months after that (6 mo post op) my hair started to thin out as well. I started taking a higher dose of Biotin and idk if that helped or if it was just a short term issue, but another few months after that, my hair and nails were back to normal.

I still get splitting nails about twice a year, usually in the beginning of winter and in the beginning of summer. I just cut them down and leave them alone to grow back and they are okay.

After my sleeve, my nails did this too. It was about 3 months out when it happened... and then about 3 months after that (6 mo post op) my hair started to thin out as well. I started taking a higher dose of Biotin and idk if that helped or if it was just a short term issue, but another few months after that, my hair and nails were back to normal.
I still get splitting nails about twice a year, usually in the beginning of winter and in the beginning of summer. I just cut them down and leave them alone to grow back and they are okay.

I lost about 40% of my hair volume at 3 months out and my nails became thin, soft and split easily. I started taking the Celebrate Hair, Nails and Skin. I'm now 9 months out, hair is coming back and nails are growing better. I don't know if it's the timing or the Celebrate or both, but for me it was worth trying and I still take the Celebrate.

Same here with my nails lifting & being very soft/brittle. I am trying fungi nail serum applied at night for the lifting & applying a nail hardener daily. Pre surgery I took hair, skin, & nails gummies but can't take them now. I'm thinking it is a result of Vitamin deficiency maybe?

May I ask why you can't take them now? Just asking as I'm a new sleever and my doctor said that I could take a hair and nail supplement. Did you find it was too hard on your stomach? I'm finding this to be a problem with my daily vitamin.

My Dr. & NUT don't allow any variety of gummies. Not really sure why but I am definitely going to ask at my 6 week post op visit. I'm going to try the chewable Biotin & increase my Vitamin D. Since my nails are already rebelling I'm afraid my hair is next . . .

Yep my experience with hair was keep my Protein to min of 60 grams then okay - I'm tall and workout so need lotsa protein. I lost small amount of hair at my temples which was noticeable around 6 months. But it was very slight - not noticeable to others. Now 2 years post op it's grown back.

May I ask why you can't take them now? Just asking as I'm a new sleever and my doctor said that I could take a hair and nail supplement. Did you find it was too hard on your stomach? I'm finding this to be a problem with my daily Vitamin.

No gummies

Sent from my SM-N910P using BariatricPal mobile app

That's Vitamin deficiency. You need to get your vitamin levels checked and corrected.

Try taking the Vitamelts hair Skin and Nails. They dissolve in your mouth berry flavored. I take them daily

Hi all,

I'm new to the site. I had Gastric Bypass in 2014 and am at my goal weight as I am still awaiting the Excess skin removal surgery and can't lose any more than I have. I have had a terrible time with my nails and hair after surgery. However, I found that taking Hair, Skin and Nails capsules has helped a lot. In addition, taking all the other Vitamins that you're told to take is very important. My Vitamin levels are checked regularly and adjusted as needed and I think that's very important and helpful.