Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, this may sound silly, and it's possible that I've posted in the wrong area. But I was wondering if anyone, pre- or post surgical has worried, or feared that the surgery wouldn't work for them? My surgery is Aug 25. I've been significantly overweight most of my adult life. I've been successful once at losing weight and keeping it off for years, but then got arthritis in my knee and gained about 50 lbs back. I find myself stressing out about the surgery. What if I've wrecked my metabolism, and I get it done, and follow directions and don't lose any weight. Is this even possible? Maybe it's just irrational fear. Maybe it's my fear of failure. Is this common? Does anyone else ever feel this way? If you've had surgery, what was your outcome? I guess all this feels a little "too good to be true". I've had some success in my pre-surgical dieting, losing 15 lbs since 2/27. Most of which has been since June 9. I'm anxious, I'm excited, I'm a little scared and mostly I'm just ready to get on with my healthier, lighter, happier life.

It is definitely not irrational to have some fear. This is a major life changing commitment. I would be more concerned about someone who has not had any of these thoughts! Just don't let your fears control you. Fear is something you have to overcome, along with your relationship with food and the lifestyle that got you to this point. It gets easier the longer you do it. Eventually your fears go away and you realize you can do this. It is all worth it in the end.

25 minutes ago, BunneyGirl said:

If you've had surgery, what was your outcome?

I am 5'1 and weighed 218 lbs on surgery day, so I started with the same stats as you.

It took me nearly 18 months to lose 100 lbs, so I was a slower loser. After the first 2 months, I lost at a rate of 3 to 6 lbs monthly. However, I'm pleased at the final result and thankful for my sleeve.

The surgery will work for you as long as you work your sleeve, hold up your end of the bargain, and have realistic expectations throughout the weight loss phase.

Your goal weight is set very low. Statistically, the sleeve's restriction by itself won't be enough to get you down to 110 pounds. In all likelihood you'll need to put in extra time and work to get there. Nonetheless, you can get there if you are compliant, work your sleeve to the max, and exercise.

Good luck to you. :)

I just want to say thank you to all who responded. I know I can do this. I am prepared to work hard. I've more than met my presurgical goal weight of 207. I've been striving for 3-5 miles a day walking. I take 10 min, 1/2 mile walks on my breaks at work. I've pretty much given up starches and carbs and focus on lean Proteins, fresh vegetables (trying to enjoy those as much as possible in these next 4 weeks). I just want to get rid of this extra weight, and the threat of diabetes returning. I defeated it 3 or 4 years ago with my big loss. I appreciate all the help or advice anyone wants to share with me. I hope this pic isn't gigantic when it posts, but my daughter put it together for me to show me how far I'd come. I'm not even sure that was my largest. The other half is me at my smallest.

journey.jpg

I was just writing in my journal and I was actually writing about how scared I was that I wouldn't lose the weight that I would be the exception. I am more scared of that then having an actual surgery. My surgery date is August 24th. Good luck.

Good luck Danybx. You are one day before me. I'm so nervous. I'm sure you will do great. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has felt like I'd be the exception. Best of luck to you! We should stay in touch.

You need to think to yourself worse case scenario, you may lose just a little bit, better than nothing. We all had this thought that maybe we will be an exception to the rule, but the rule is simple...Eat less and you'll be thin.

SW:305
CW:217

Sleeved 01.30.17

The surgery is a tool to help you lose the weight. I was told that no matter what you do the first year you will lose. We have a year to get into a routine with proper eating habits and exercise to follow for the rest of our lives. I have 2 friends that had this surgery approx 2+ years ago and both of them have gained some of their weight back.

Oops, I hit send by accident. Just a reminder that the choices we make with what we eat and the exercise we choose to either incorporate into our life or not will determine our future in terms of keeping the weight off. Good luck on your journey!