Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Office Pitfalls and Hazards - I need help avoiding these!

Having a tough day today:

It started this morning with cake at the group meeting for a work anniversary (so I left early). THEN...

I walked into my office area and there was a whole box of doughnuts on the counter outside my office door... Walked right past them. THEN...

After I got back from my lunch-time workout my office-mates were eating McD's and it smelled soooooo good!!! Combined with having to not order something at the McD's drive-through while with a different co-worker yesterday: Aaaaarrrrrghh! I feel like I'm losing my grip.

So, do any of you have suggestions for weathering these weak moments?

Many thanks! ^_^

Edited by Tiamka
grammer

Keep good options at your desk. I worked in an office for a little while recently and all the food around was mind boggling.

One thing that helped was most of the people that ate that food looked like. They were overweight, bad skin, always had colds and in general poor health.

Everyone eating cake and donuts? I grab a Protein Bar, sweet, but not as bad as the other options.

People snacking and eating chips whatever. I have Quest chips.

Then I just take a moment, and think about my health pre-op how bad it was, how my knees and ankles hurt, and then how hard I worked post-op to change my eating habits. Count to 10, temptation has passed.

1 hour ago, Tiamka said:

suggestions for weathering these weak moments?

@Tiamka

i "remind" myself how bad i used to feel and look,

and how great i feel and look now:rolleyes:

really DOES work for me (sometimes!)

as for you my friend - remind yourself you've

lost 93 lbs!! many lbs to follow. soon to be entering onderland.

i can only imagine how hard nipping those feelings/thoughts
of yummy foods.

Damnnn the torpedoes and donuts.

full speed ahead!! you are getting stronger and stronger

every day -i have confidence that you will turn your head

away from all those carbs, sugars, fats etc.

if you can't do that, nobody can!!

hope every day gets better and better:)

good luck

kathy

Just keep in mind how far you've come and ask yourself is any of what you are craving really worth it? That works for me every time.

I bring food with me. My favorite is variety of cheeses & fat free pudding for those days people bring sweets. You can bring healthier options to the office too, to break some of those bad habits everyone else is accustomed to. Keep up the good work & remember, the pain & sacrifices you had to make to go this far.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 145 lbs, now ready to lose 15 more past goal.
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

Definitely keep healthy options at your desk. I recommend not running from the doughnuts at first, but take a moment or two to work through it. Here is something I posted in another, similar thread today:

How I worked through the cravings.. I would see a food that I wanted, and I would just sit there and stare at it. While I was staring, my mind would work through the memory of what that food tasted like, it's texture, etc. Then I would imagine my current size, and the size I wanted to be, and all the health complications that come from consuming those types of foods, etc. I would stay with it until I felt relieved of the pressure to eat it, and then I would go on about my day.

When a family member would see me staring at that pie, so intently, they would think I was really miserable.. but I was allowing myself to go through the process. And you know what? I only had to do that a dozen or so times, and I didn't have those cravings so much anymore. I'm SURE that if I just simply ran and hid, and avoided the pie, that I'd still be here, trying to avoid looking at pie 4 months later. I can look at pie just fine (most of the time). If I'm ACTUALLY hungry, then I have to fight with the pie concept (a little), and go get something real to eat.

2 hours ago, Berry78 said:

How I worked through the cravings.. I would see a food that I wanted, and I would just sit there and stare at it. While I was staring, my mind would work through the memory of what that food tasted like, it's texture, etc. Then I would imagine my current size, and the size I wanted to be, and all the health complications that come from consuming those types of foods, etc. I would stay with it until I felt relieved of the pressure to eat it, and then I would go on about my day.

When a family member would see me staring at that pie, so intently, they would think I was really miserable.. but I was allowing myself to go through the process. And you know what? I only had to do that a dozen or so times, and I didn't have those cravings so much anymore. I'm SURE that if I just simply ran and hid, and avoided the pie, that I'd still be here, trying to avoid looking at pie 4 months later. I can look at pie just fine (most of the time). If I'm ACTUALLY hungry, then I have to fight with the pie concept (a little), and go get something real to eat.

Tackling it head on...that's strength and a good fight. Good for you!

I second every one else. I don't work in a corporate office anymore, but I know the challenges, I fell prey to all of office food laying around in the past. Now, I'm so thankful my boss is all about eating right/health and there's only 3 others in the office, who aren't really here, so it's just me. I don't have that challenge, but those who do, I commend you all for beating it! You've all come so far, wherever you are on your journey to let it go. Keep up the great work!

Thank you, EVERYONE, for such wonderful advice and amazing support! I did manage to make it through the day... I treated myself to an apple instead. I LOVE apples and they have Fiber as an added bonus. I have now stocked my drawer with tasty Protein Bars (Luna) for back-up sweet-tooth attacks and roasted seaweed Snacks (gimme) for salty/crunchy cravings.

You are all beautiful, strong, amazing people and I feel honored and lucky to have your help and advice!

Thank you so very much!!!:D

Omg!!!! This happens to me all the time! My office is literally like diabetes city, theres junk food everywhere. I'm sure your office has a small group of people that watch what they eat, so hang out with them more and the foodies less. Bring your own food. And just try really really hard to walk away, i know the struggle is real. I've slipped up a few times and gave in but i felt crappy physically after eating junk. So that helped me stay away. And also when in doubt pop a phentrimine to get your mind off food from time to time. I hope that helps.

I keep Snacks at my desk that are healthy and Protein rich. Usually I just remind myself where cake and donuts got me and I'm able to walk away from it no issue and if I feel I need something I will have some cheese or beef Jerky.

However, I also do not fear food now. If I really absolutely want a donut (I can only eat 1/4) or cake on occasion and it's there, I eat it. But I hold myself responsible. I put it in my tracker and I account for it later in the day with my meals. I don't always shy away from cravings because for me, this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change, and I chose not to live like I'm dieting. Knowing I'm choosing not to have something makes me feel much stronger than having to tell myself I "can't" have it.