Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Huntsville Area

I have only heard wonderful things about both Dr. Grooves and Dr. Freeman! I haven't met Dr. Freeman but I have met Dr. Grooves and he has such a wonderful personality and since he has the lap band, I fell he understands what we are going through. Dr. Grooves actually did bypass surgery on a dear friend I go to church with and she has done great and dearly loves him to death.

I have only heard wonderful things about both Dr. Grooves and Dr. Freeman! I haven't met Dr. Freeman but I have met Dr. Grooves and he has such a wonderful personality and since he has the lap band, I fell he understands what we are going through. Dr. Grooves actually did bypass surgery on a dear friend I go to church with and she has done great and dearly loves him to death.

Patricia:

Dr. Groves is wonderful. I use Dr. Britt, his partner. They perform the surgery together. Both are wonderful at doing lap-bands. Several here have used Dr. Groves and/or Dr. Britt. They have surgery rights at Crestwood in Huntsville, Marshall Medical North in Guntersville, and Marshall Medical South in Albertville. They have an office to see patients in Madison over at the outpatient center on Lanier Road by Walmart. I drive to the Guntersville office for my fills. They only in the Madison office a few times a month. However, they do a monthly seminar at the Madison Outpatient center. Just call their office to schedule a spot in their free seminar. Their number is (256) 840-5547 or visit their website: http://www.samc.stirsite.com/home.html I am glad to call them part of my team for my WLS journey. I went to their seminar and knew after talking with them, they were the ones to handle my care. I love my Lap-Band and I love Dr. Britt & their staff. I would recommend them to anyone.

Andy, you have just made my night! I am so thankful for your post!! I will call his office tomorrow to find out when the next seminar will be.

Did you have any problems after your first fill and how do you know when it is time to get a fill? I know this probably sounds dumb, but I have really worried about if I would know when it was time for a fill. Have you ever heard of a port flipping, I know I hadn't until I was reading on this forum, but it wasn't here on the Alabama forum. I didn't even realize there was a forum for Alabama until Mindy a very kind moderator gave me the information.

Thank you so very much!

Patricia

Edited by patricia5901

I'm very glad to hear all the good comments on these doctors. My friend may not be following the rules and like you said insisting on fills. Best of luck to you all! I celebrated my 1 year bandiversary on 3/29/08. I have now lost 133 pounds. I am very close to my doctor's goal and have already met my goal. I wish everyone the best! Hang in and follow all the band rules!

Wow Alaverde, I am so PROUD of YOU!! I hope that I do as good as you have done - you are so very close to your goal and have accomplished so much in such a short time:thumbup:! This forum is definitely what I needed to find as most of my family thinks that I just don't have any willpower, they say just eat right and you won't look like that - there are no overweight people in my family other than myself and my oldest daughter and I feel as though I have to set an example for my daughter in order for her to loose her weight. She is so much heavier than I am and she is so young and beautiful, but she has put her life on hold because of her weight. She has so much potential and she finds that her weight has actually kept her from advancing in her job. She has pretty much isolated herself from society other than her work and her little dog. My heart just breaks for her so I must be the leader and show her that we are fixable. Don't get me wrong, I need to loose 102 pounds so I need to do this for myself - but she is closing in on 350 pounds and diabetes runs in both mine and my husbands families, so she feels like she is just a ticking time bomb. She is also fearful of having a fatty liver, have any of you heard of this?

Patricia

Thanks for letting me vent here, you guys are amazing and I am so proud of all of you!:thumbup:

Andy, you have just made my night! I am so thankful for your post!! I will call his office tomorrow to find out when the next seminar will be.

Did you have any problems after your first fill and how do you know when it is time to get a fill? I know this probably sounds dumb, but I have really worried about if I would know when it was time for a fill. Have you ever heard of a port flipping, I know I hadn't until I was reading on this forum, but it wasn't here on the Alabama forum. I didn't even realize there was a forum for Alabama until Mindy a very kind moderator gave me the information.

Thank you so very much!

Patricia

Patricia:

I am glad my post helped you. I have not encounter any problems after a fill thus far. Of course, I have only had 2 fills with my third scheduled for June 12th.

The following is information was provided by Dr. Britt and his office staff during my pre-op class concerning adjustments or fills:

Dr. Britt follows the recommend guidelines from the manufacturer which is 6 weeks between fills. He will adjust the schedule based on individual needs of the patient. My fills have been every 6 weeks apart. He did say this time after my fill, that if I needed to return early to just call the office. He did ask that I give this new fill 2-3 weeks to work. So if I need another fill, I will be going back early.

The adjust-ability of the Lap Band is one of the great advantages of the Lap Band over the gastric bypass or duodenal switch. The Vertical Band Gastroplasty or VBG, is a restrictive operation but is not adjustable. After a period of 6 weeks following Lap Band placement, a patient may require an adjustment known as a "fill"

Three main factors are used to determine whether or not to add Fluid to the Lap Band: 1. weight loss, 2. level of hunger, 3. degree of restriction.

If the patient is not losing adequate weight (less than 1-2 lbs. per week), is ravenous, and seems to be able to eat more with meals, then it is time to do a fill.

Most adjustments can be done in the office in less than 15 minutes. Fluoroscope or X-ray is only necessary if the adjustment port cannot be accessed in the office. Dr. Britt uses the Fluoroscope over at X-ray for each fill, which makes a fill take less than 2 minutes. It takes longer to get on the table and the prep than the actual fill. It is so cool to watch your fill on the Fluoroscope. The 1st adjustment is done no sooner than 6 weeks post-operatively and is a 1cc volume fill. My 1st fill was a standard amount of 2cc. Subsequent adjustments are done at 4-6 week intervals based on the aforementioned criteria. The second and third fills may measure 0.5 cc to 3-4cc. My second fill was 2cc. I now have 4cc in my 14cc band.

It is important to look out for negative symptoms after an adjustment. Symptoms of chest pain after eating and drinking, nausea, vomiting, and reflux can mean the Lap Band is overly tight. More subtle signs can be night time coughing and choking, and inability to eat a range of foods. It is important that patients remember that weight loss is to be gentle and gradual. Patients must resist the temptation to be too tight too fast. This can lead to dysfunctional eating habits, in which the patients convert their diet to liquids calories. If obstructive symptoms are present, then Fluid should be removed from the band.

Each doctor is different in how he/she proceeds with your fill schedule and the amount of fill. Just remember to work with your doctor, you are a team working together to help you meet your goal!

Yes, I have heard of some having their port flip after surgery. The port is attached to a muscle and as you lose weight it may flip. I believe the incidents of this happening are very low. I do not know of any of Dr. Britt or Dr. Groves patients that have encounter this problem.

As a surgical team, they have performed approximately 300 Lap-band procedures in the last 3 years. They average about 100 or so Lap-Bands per year at the present rate. I really think you will love them and their staff. As I stated, I drove to Guntersville to Marshall North for surgery and it was a very good experience. The hospital staff took good care of me.

If you have any more questions, I would be glad to try to answer them.

Edited by andyisbanded
Misspelling some words

Andy,

You have answered so many of my questions and I want to thank you for taking the time to post such a great and informative reply!! I think the team of Dr. Grove and Dr. Britt will be my team as well - I have given this so much thought and have considered several different doctors - maybe too many that I have confused myself. Thanks for turning the light on for me!! lol

I wish you continued success and look forward to learning more about your incredible journey to fitness!

Smiles,

Patricia

7_5_142.gifI am from Huntsville. Dr. Groves done my banding. Love him. Was banded on May13th,2008. Does anyone know about a support group in Hartselle or Decature? I think they meet like the First Monday /Tuesday of the month? I would like to go to one. Thanks:thumbup:

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

haha! Well we are a lonely group. How about North Alabama in general? Morgan,Madison,Limestone,Marshall Counties?

I hope I'm doing this right. I'm new to this web site,love it.I'm From florence Al My sury in Huntsville at CrestWood, Dr Foreman

is doing my surg on July 2. It was to be done on June 25 They call and made it for July 1 call today july 2 But I'm still having it can't wait,that all thats on my mine Best Wishes Mackie from florence Al:thumbup:

Hey Mackie,

I am in Russellville, Hey to all around Huntsville. I was banded in Tijuana, by Dr. Ortiz(hottie). My fill Dr. is in Murfreesboro, tn

I am a very slow loser but, I have lost a clothing size! :)

Reneej

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Wed is all most here July 2th

Good luck to all of July Butterflies, keep in touch and let me know how you are doing . This support group has help me. Thanks to all

Mackie

I am from the gadsden, al area. i was also banded on May 13, but i was banded by dr black in anniston. have had my 1st fill but no restrictions as of yet. I am a slow looser only lost 7.5lbs so far. Trying to stay positive, BUT IT IS HARD. Any suggestions!!!!!!!!

Good luck Mackie!!!

As for support groups, I think there is one in Decatur, and I know there is also one in Birmingham. Never been to either though..

Alabama Bandster here. Mackie, did you get your band...hope all is well???

As for support groups, i wish Huntsville had one. I went to what i thought was to be a support group in H'ville but it turned out to be mostly gastric patients. Nothing in common...i want to talk with those whom has had my choice of weight loss surg. If you know what i mean. I'm glad for them but i felt as if i was getting funny looks when i spoke of the lapband. nevermind, that several gastrics are signing up for lapband now. Hope i'm not talking out of place. good luck all.

Alabama Bandster here. Mackie, did you get your band...hope all is well???

As for support groups, i wish Huntsville had one. I went to what i thought was to be a support group in H'ville but it turned out to be mostly gastric patients. Nothing in common...i want to talk with those whom has had my choice of weight loss surg. If you know what i mean. I'm glad for them but i felt as if i was getting funny looks when i spoke of the lapband. nevermind, that several gastrics are signing up for lapband now. Hope i'm not talking out of place. good luck all.

Where was this support meeting located? I wonder if we can contact the administrator of that facility and see about getting a room for the bandsters too. I would love to have a support group here but don't know of a location we could have it.