Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 weeks in an nausea all the time? Help

I'm 10 weeks in to my Gastric Bypass, after a failed Lapband. I have had a big problem finding food I can eat and getting the required Protein. I was 379 lbs at my surgery and I'm already down to 301 lbs. Which is awesome for me, but Protein Shakes make me vomit almost right away after 6 weeks of nothing but the shakes.(2 weeks before surgery and 4 weeks after) I thought I could get protein from fish and shakes but can't seem to get them down, and stay down? Small slices of cheese along with a couple crackers and Peanut Butter are almost a daily staple. As is very thin deli sliced lunch meat. I had a florascope and everything looks good? When I get hungry, I get nausea and after I eat I get nausea. I throw up about 50% of what I eat. I guess it's dumping syndrome cause I get alot of hot flashes right before I get sick. I tried GNC for other options but spent alot of money on stuff that didn't work? Did anyone have these issues? And any recommendations on food that is easy to keep down? Fish,eggs and milk have been very hard for me so far? My blood work was all good but low in Iron which I take a med for now. I can deal with not eating much, but I'm miserable being nauseous all the time. I've had my Dr. Give me scripts to ease feeling nauseous but nothing seems to work? Thanks for any light y'all can shed on my issues!

I was this way also. I found GENEPRO Protein has no flavor at all and mixed with crystal light worked great. You can get it on Amazon .

Thank you, I will definitely look into that. I've tried blending everything into the whey Protein Shakes and muscle milk and tried different brands and flavors but can't get past the whey taste anymore, wife said it's in my head, but whatever it is they just won't go down? Thanks again I

Tell her nope we all get that from drinking them. Good news is that it will go away. I'm 9 months out now and kind of enjoy them now in all flavors. They used to make me gag. I think it's the nerves being cut and still healing for a good 6 months that does it.

Maybe refried Beans with cheese when you are cleared? Baked store bought tofu might surprise you (teriyaki for me). Greek yogurt? Fairlife extra Protein milk, Quest bars and one bars help me.
Keep trying. You can do this and it could change your life!!

Refried Beans are good, ive never tried tofu, Greek yogurt has gotten hard to swallow but I do like the idea of Protein Bars. Thank you. I started using a small fork an baby spoon. My wife thinks I still eat to fast. Its definately a hard thing for me to master. As is not drinking Water with my meals. Thanks for the help, its great that people who have already Passed this stage can help out us newby's! Best of luck on yalls end!

According to the internet:

Nausea and vomiting are the most common complaints after bariatric surgery, and they are typically associated with inappropriate diet and noncompliance with a gastroplasty diet (ie, eat undisturbed, chew meticulously, never drink with meals, and wait 2 hours before drinking after solid food is consumed). If these symptoms are associated with epigastric pain, significant dehydration, or not explained by dietary indiscretions, an alternative diagnosis must be explored. One of the most common complications causing nausea and vomiting in gastric bypass patients is anastomotic ulcers, with and without stomal stenosis. Ulceration or stenosis at the gastrojejunostomy of the gastric bypass has a reported incidence of 3% to 20%. Although no unifying explanation for the etiology of anastomotic ulcers exists, most experts agree that the pathogenesis is likely multifactorial. These ulcers are thought to be due to a combination of preserved acid secretion in the pouch, tension from the Roux limb, ischemia from the operation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use, and perhaps Helicobacter pylori infection. Evidence suggests that little acid is secreted in the gastric bypass pouch; however, staple line dehiscence may lead to excessive acid bathing of the anastomosis. Treatment for both marginal ulcers and stomal ulcers should include avoidance of NSAIDs, antisecretory therapy with proton-pump inhibitors, and/or sucralfate. In addition, H pylori infection should be identified and treated, if present.

After my surgery, my surgeon put me on Omeprazole [Prilosec OTC) which is a proton pump inhibitor for the first year to help my stomach heal properly. I did not experience recurring bouts of nausea. After the first year, I discontinues and all was well.

So if you are not taking any NSAIDs such as aspirin and if you do not have an H pylori infection, then perhaps you have an ulcer.

Great this is helpful I was taking the omeprazole but was still getting the nausea. The Doc changed it 2 more times with no change. So I quit takung it. Maybe I need to try it again? I had to reschedule my 8 week checkup to july 3rd so im hoping to discuss the issue then. I was just worried this was gonna be a lifetime nausea and have honestly been regretting my choice for the surgery. Even though the weightloss is awesome im just feeling bad all the time. I will definately look into this info. Thank you!

I used a anti nausea from Dr. schulze it helped a lot. Don't remember the name, see it at herbdoc.com

36 Male

HW:308
SW:302
CW:225

Sleeved 01/30/2017

I am into my fourth week out. I am on soft foods, but can't eat a lot of anything except cottage cheese or soft cheese. Luckily iI have never had any nausea since my surgery. I do find myself eating too fast sometimes, thus getting the hiccups. It is hard to stretch 4 oz. into 15-30 minutes! I feel bad for those of you who experience nausea. i don't think I could handle it!