Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How has your life changed for the better?

I can keep up with and interact with my children much better. Now I can be an active participant in their lives and am not afraid to do things with them I never would have before (ie: get in the bounce house, climb up the playground and go down the slide, chase them around the bases at the ballpark) which they like.

My knees never hurt anymore, I used to not be able to make it up the stairs.

Being treated like a normal person in social situations and not just being the fat girl in the room. Before it was like I was the stereotypical sidekick in a movie. Loud, outgoing but never a leading lady if that makes sense.

Not feeling guilt at restaurants and events over being the only girl there to go back for seconds, I love eating a normal amount of food.

Having much more clothing options and also being able to find cheaper clothing than before, especially for work. Specialty plus sized retailers such as Torrid and Lane Bryant are so expensive.

Not having to worry about fitting in places like chairs, playground equipment, amusement rides, etc.

I find I have a lot more time on my hands since my prior pursuit of food is now a task and not the high point of my day. For the first time in years I am approaching a birthday (I'm well into my 50's) and I can confidently say I will be thinner next year, I have broken the cycle. I can walk by a mirror or plate glass window and feel pride not disgust. More energy in all areas. I no longer dread doctor appointments. Seating choices are no longer an issue.

The list can go on and on! You will soon be making a similar list!

I am just over a month out and already there is a lot that has changed. Mostly I am just experiencing *change*, which I usually find difficult.

On Sunday I cleaned out my closets. I have six garbage bags of clothes, most of which is business attire that no longer fits me. I have a small selection of clothes that were either too small for me prior to WLS or are stretchy and can move across sizes. Given that after the initial 15 lb post surgery drop, I am averaging 5 lbs a week, dealing with buying clothes that wont fit me in 3 weeks seems like a hassle.

I no longer think about food from the viewpoint of "what am I going to eat". I still think about food, but it's more like the same way I think about going to Paris. I miss some of the things I loved - really good bread with butter, pizza and a great burger. But missing these foods is more like a series of passing thoughts. I barely have an appetite and when I am hungry, I am fully satiated after about 2 oz of a dense Protein.

I find I have a lot of attention on my wellbeing - managing my liquids, protein intake, what I'm going to wear, looking for openings to walk and move where this was not the case before. I have a very demanding job and work on average 70 hours a week (and was back to work 1 week after surgery) and to some degree I have not yet adjusted to managing my weight loss journey with my career and this will come with practice.

Like many others, the NSV are really the best part. I live at the top of the hill and before surgery I needed to stop halfway up. Last night after a 14 hour workday, I hopped out of an uber at midnight and walked 3 blocks up the hill at the same pace I walk down the hill with no shortness of breath. The quality of my sleep has improved (although, I find I am needing more of it and I suspect that is temporary and probably due the fact that I am barely cracking 700 cals/day). I have no more swelling in my ankles and wrists. My seasonal allergies have been reduced by about half (I suspect because I am not eating wheat, processed foods, etc.).

Since surgery I have avoided or declined a lot of social things - for no other reason that it supported my management of my diet and having no alcohol in this initial phase. I will need to train my friends to engage in other things - walks, going to the park, etc.

I have worries about loose skin - I have no way to predict this. I have phenomenal skin for my age (I am 50), but I am 50 and will be loosing a lot of weight. The only question for me is how bad will it be. But I will deal with that when it is time to deal with that.

I have no question that this was the best decision I have ever made - and I won't say that it is always easy. If my goal was to loose a bunch of weight, that would be easy. However, my goal is to reclaim my health and there will be nothing easy about that. Fortunately, I can be tough and patient and take the long view of things. There are things I am considering - I may permanently give up alcohol since I don't miss it. I am considering transitioning to veganism. That is not something I would have considered in the past.

I do Celebrate the small victories - but I don't spend a lot of time doing that. Mostly I am planning the next step, the next goal and how I am going to achieve that. When the scale moves, I just enter it into my spreadsheet where I am tracking weightloss.

That said, I am coming to the conclusion of what everyone has been saying here - the surgery is a tool and if used as a tool - without question life will change for the better.

5 minutes ago, Kat410 said:

I am just over a month out and already there is a lot that has changed. Mostly I am just experiencing *change*, which I usually find difficult.

Wow, thank you for that detailed look at what you're going through. I really appreciate the insight. It's all motivation fuel for me at this point.

I do see it as a tool. I have mentioned before it's a 2nd and last chance. I don't plan to waste it when someone is going to take a part of my anatomy out of my body to "fix" what I mismanaged (in nice terms) or "fucked up" (in not so nice terms) before.

Everything. Yes, I'm smaller. I eat differently. My diabetes is gone, as is my high blood pressure and cholesterol. I can run, take stairs, chase my kids. All of that.

It seems secondary, almost, compared to the ripple effects. For instance, I'm treated differently. I'm used to it now. It's not just my behavior, it's societal. Other than sometimes being told I'm too skinny, backhanded compliments or odd behaviors that were commonplace are gone from my social interactions. I'm "normal."

Above and beyond the biggest impact has been my mental health. Losing weight made me acknowledge clearly for the first time in my life that I was not unhappy because I was fat; I was fat because I was deeply unhappy. Eliminating all of the weight left a woman forced to get help. It's immensely improved my life. Almost seven years later, I'm healthy in body and mind. There's nothing better.

I will always be grateful I made this choice for myself. I wish you the best.

Cheri

Kind of problem I WANT to have. Just buying clothes at Target, who doesn't go above guys XL, would be friggin sweet.

Target sells larger sizes online :)

Lots of good points have been made... better sleep, more energy, increased ability to play with kids, new wardrobe...

But for me that biggest realization lately is that I feel like myself again. I didn't even know how encumbered I was by my weight, but being free from it is amazing. I am more outgoing, stand taller, and feel like ME. It's hard to explain. Somehow, over the years I lost myself and eventually I hardly even recognized myself if I caught a glimpse of my reflection.

Doing this was an important exercise in making myself, my needs, my wants, my health a priority. As a mom (of 5) it's easy to put everyone else's needs first.

13 hours ago, baribetty said:

Target sells larger sizes online :)

NOW you tell me. Well there's no reason to get this surgery then. ;)

• I'm 100xs happier
  • I'm so mobil. I RUN now. I feel like I'm flying.
  • I look at myself in windows when I pass.
  • I'm not afraid to be seen in public and am willing to look people in the eyes when I walk by a stranger.
  • I go hiking and do outdoor activities every weekend.
  • I've started dating.
  • I've had men half my age aggressively hit on me, while surrounded by hot young 20 something girls. So I feel beautiful in a way I didn't think would be possible for me anymore.
  • I'm more successful at work because moving is so much easier, my attitude is amazing and my drive to be more successful in other areas of my life now that I am successful with my weight is astronomical.
  • I'm allowing myself to dream of a bigger and wider future.
  • I'm traveling.
  • I'm basically beaming almost everyday. I LOVE not being shackled to food, not being shackled to my fears and sadness, I feel like I am no longer bound to this earth the same way I was before. If that makes any sense at all.

Everything is different...except the me on the inside. I'm just happier now and more active now.

I guess you could say I went from just being alive to fully living.

21 hours ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:
  • I'm 100xs happier
  • I'm so mobil. I RUN now. I feel like I'm flying.
  • I look at myself in windows when I pass.
  • I'm not afraid to be seen in public and am willing to look people in the eyes when I walk by a stranger.
  • I go hiking and do outdoor activities every weekend.
  • I've started dating.
  • I've had men half my age aggressively hit on me, while surrounded by hot young 20 something girls. So I feel beautiful in a way I didn't think would be possible for me anymore.
  • I'm more successful at work because moving is so much easier, my attitude is amazing and my drive to be more successful in other areas of my life now that I am successful with my weight is astronomical.
  • I'm allowing myself to dream of a bigger and wider future.
  • I'm traveling.
  • I'm basically beaming almost everyday. I LOVE not being shackled to food, not being shackled to my fears and sadness, I feel like I am no longer bound to this earth the same way I was before. If that makes any sense at all.

Everything is different...except the me on the inside. I'm just happier now and more active now.

I guess you could say I went from just being alive to fully living.

Whoah! Amazing!

I have only lost 66 pounds so far. My surgery was on March 8 so I'm 4 months out. I agree with all of the positives previously posted, but I have a few that weren't:

• I can now reach to wipe my bottom after a BM easily (it was a real problem before).
  • My feet and hips don't hurt.
  • I can tie my shoes easily.
  • I can get out of bed or a low chair with no problem.

Looking forward to posting again soon with more positives as the weight continues to drop off!