Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO Carbonated beverages- FOREVER!

Yea the carbonation stretches your stomach is a myth that science has disproven. It's one of those axioms that some surgeons spread because it's easier than going into detail.

That said, carbonation irritates my stomach something fierce. OUCH!!!! Tried it accidentally (ok more like mindlessness at a party where I was finally relieved to find a NON alcoholic beverage so forgot mineral Water was sparkling). That was about six months post op. Haven't tried it since.

Was a HUGE Diet Pepsi drinker pre op. Haven't looked back!

Ok so I am going to ask a dumb ?. So sparkling mineral water natural or whatever is carbonated??

Yes, sparkling Water is carbonated. Let it go flat. Open, let it sit, shake it, take off the lid and drink. I let my flavored carbonated water go flat and it is still wonderful, a nice break from plain water.

54 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Please don't stand in their way with worthless feel good platitudes. Just move along to the threads where you can tell each other how wonderful you all are and the only thing that matters is what you BELIEVE.

Here's the issue...many people have zero interest in the truth or evidence-based facts. Rather, they seek validation of their beliefs from the various cheerleaders, Pollyannas, 'yes-people,' faux supporters, and basically anyone who will tell them what they want to hear. It's called confirmation bias.

For instance, many people who ask for advice aren't really looking for advice...they're really looking for others to validate a decision they've already made, and anyone who won't provide that validation is labeled as a 'meanie' or 'bully' or 'unsupportive.'

So someone eats an entire pizza at 3 months out? "Everything is going to be alright" seems to be the only acceptable response. Someone with untreated depression has already regained 30 pounds at one year out by self-medicating with Cookies and regular Coca-Cola all day? "Cheer up!" seems to be the only acceptable reply, and anyone who dare suggests he/she seek therapy for the depression is labeled a bully.

In essence, many people lie to themselves because the truth can hurt.

Well, as it's getting so spicy in here I might as well weigh in with the things I've been thinking, but daren't say, since the start of the thread.

I'm having my bypass in two days. Over the past six weeks I've been thinking seriously about what happens afterwards and how I need to reset not just my body but my relationship with food.

What leaves me gobsmacked so often here is that I keep seeing threads that basically amount to 'when can I have the same old crap I used to eat and drink again'? Now call me perceptive but, assuming that surgery isn't a magic wand, isn't that exactly what put you in plus size pants the first time? There is a strong link between highly processed food and the incidence of obesity (in fact there is also a correlation between the consumption of artificial sweeteners like those found in 'diet' soft drinks and obesity). Highly processed foods and drinks just aren't that good for you and no one should know that better than people who have grown overweight to the point of major surgery by eating them.

I'm fairly lucky, my diet is mainly fresh and whole foods, my problems have been portion sizes, but this process has made me conscious of how I want to put things in my body that are good for me and, if I'm restricted in terms of volume, how I want to make sure every ounce is full of nutrients.

Don't get me wrong, I don't drink soda, even diet, haven't since the month before my surgery for years ago.

BUT carbonation can't stretch your sleeve. I don't believe you have to spread misinformation in order to get people make the eating choices you think they should. That's what I'm arguing against in this thread.

Some posters don't agree with me. Heck some surgeons don't agree with me.

I am just saying let people who WANT science and facts get it. Then they can make the choices they want to make. Don't feed them a line of crap to keep their choices limited because you don't trust them to make the decisions you think are right.

5 hours ago, TheUnrealJohn said:

Well, as it's getting so spicy in here I might as well weigh in with the things I've been thinking, but daren't say, since the start of the thread.

I'm having my bypass in two days. Over the past six weeks I've been thinking seriously about what happens afterwards and how I need to reset not just my body but my relationship with food.

What leaves me gobsmacked so often here is that I keep seeing threads that basically amount to 'when can I have the same old crap I used to eat and drink again'? Now call me perceptive but, assuming that surgery isn't a magic wand, isn't that exactly what put you in plus size pants the first time? There is a strong link between highly processed food and the incidence of obesity (in fact there is also a correlation between the consumption of artificial sweeteners like those found in 'diet' soft drinks and obesity). Highly processed foods and drinks just aren't that good for you and no one should know that better than people who have grown overweight to the point of major surgery by eating them.

I'm fairly lucky, my diet is mainly fresh and whole foods, my problems have been portion sizes, but this process has made me conscious of how I want to put things in my body that are good for me and, if I'm restricted in terms of volume, how I want to make sure every ounce is full of nutrients.

This was very well said. Exactly. Why go backwards when you've put all the time and effort into a life change?

I'm 5 months post op & have drank champagne & Diet Coke on special occasions. Honestly, I feel fine. I wasn't allowed to drink carbonated beverages earlier post op because I was healing & it didn't go down nicely at all, but I'm good now. I can't even finish a whole can of Diet Coke & can only consume 1 glass of champagne. Me pre-WLS can drink lots more of the two.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 145 lbs, now ready to lose 15 more past goal.
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

I was a serious diet coke addict, have quit a few times over the years for 4-5 months, then slam a bunch and crave that 6AM burst that clears my throat (allergies) and gives me the caffeine boost I love.

I quit diet coke in March of this year in preparation for this surgery, I drink ice tea, was never a coffee drinker but love the smell of it. I slowly changed to half caffiene ice tea (I make my own). I have had 2 diet cokes since March and it doesn't seem to be as fascinating as it once was. I don't intend to go back to drinking it regularly, I will however not give up the occasional glass of champagne after I am healed.

The trouble with self-reporting studies is that it is highly inaccurate science, and correlation is not causation.

Obesity is complex as we all are living proof of that and all answers to it are not yet discovered. We can only use the current information until it is solidly proven or disproven - as we have all witnessed the ever changing nutritional guidelines, suffered the addage 'just eat less and get off your lard azz and just lose the weight already' crowd thinking, the lapband is the answer, the endless commercial weight loss program$, ad infinitum.

On this forum we need the straight dope. I applaud everyone that takes ownership of their own journey and makes it work for them. Tea and sympathy is good when someone is facing a heartbreaking issue, but eating a pizza two weeks after surgery does not qualify as a heartbreaking issue. The message doesn't require rudeness but bluntness and rudeness are not the same thing. (Just like craving pizza and EATING pizza are not the same.)

Climbing off soapbox.

I was a serious diet coke addict, have quit a few times over the years for 4-5 months, then slam a bunch and crave that 6AM burst that clears my throat (allergies) and gives me the caffeine boost I love.
I quit diet coke in March of this year in preparation for this surgery, I drink ice tea, was never a coffee drinker but love the smell of it. I slowly changed to half caffiene ice tea (I make my own). I have had 2 diet cokes since March and it doesn't seem to be as fascinating as it once was. I don't intend to go back to drinking it regularly, I will however not give up the occasional glass of champagne after I am healed.
The trouble with self-reporting studies is that it is highly inaccurate science, and correlation is not causation.
Obesity is complex as we all are living proof of that and all answers to it are not yet discovered. We can only use the current information until it is solidly proven or disproven - as we have all witnessed the ever changing nutritional guidelines, suffered the addage 'just eat less and get off your lard azz and just lose the weight already' crowd thinking, the lapband is the answer, the endless commercial weight loss program$, ad infinitum.
On this forum we need the straight dope. I applaud everyone that takes ownership of their own journey and makes it work for them. Tea and sympathy is good when someone is facing a heartbreaking issue, but eating a pizza two weeks after surgery does not qualify as a heartbreaking issue. The message doesn't require rudeness but bluntness and rudeness are not the same thing. (Just like craving pizza and EATING pizza are not the same.)
Climbing off soapbox.

Hear hear. Give me science and data! I can get on board with that all day!

For years, I was a HUGE Coke drinker, and then in 2003, gave up all high fructose corn Syrup products. It was the worst addiction breakup EVER. The entire family did it and I thought we would all kill each other. I moved to Coke Zero and Cherry Coke Zero and loved it for years. I broke up with it a year before surgery, although I would drink it from time to time, the shine was off the apple. I love soda, and would love to be the person that sits down and drinks a Cherry Dr. Pepper and doesn't crave another, but I'm not. I recognized that and it's the reason I had the surgery in the first place.

Eating is an addiction and we've taken steps to break that cycle. But we can't do that without realistically facing up to the addiction and the "gateway food and drink" that start us back on the cycle. Soda is definitely one of them. Not all carbonated drinks are bad (seltzer is an example) but diet soda, regular soda, we have to face facts - they start a cycle. Carbs start a sugar cycle, sweets start a cycle. Let's be realistic and just follow the advice of the doctors. They truly know better. Perhaps the "it will cause your stomach to crack open" was a scare tactic, but the reality is that carbonated sodas are part of the problem, and we are all heading down this path to a healthy weight and life to SOLVE that problem.

Listen, I'm a psychologist, but I didn't need education or another therapist to tell me that I am addicted to food and I need to stop allowing myself to believe I could solve that problem on my own or that I can stop eating and diet at any time. I couldn't. I needed this surgery for the forced Portion Control that it truly is and I'm so happy I did it for that reason. I won't, for any reason, allow myself to do anything that will jeopardize the progress I've made and that includes going back to the "gateway foods" that will send me spiraling back into a food frenzy. No one should. If you do that, why did you bother with the surgery at all??

I borrowed Sosewsue61's soapbox and now I am returning it. LOL

I gave up soda ages before my surgery, so cutting it out wasn't a problem. I do enjoy occasionally having some though.

I have resisted and haven't touched it, though I do admit I've had a small (less than a tsp) of my husband's Dr Pepper. I have swished it around in my mouth until the carbonation was totally gone and had it. A big old "eh." My tastes didn't seem to change at all, except now that stuff is totally unappealing.

I'm going to miss beer though. :(

Hello its been 9 years since I had my surgery. I do not do any carbonation it is not because of sugar it is the carbonation. The gas it builds up it really hurts. As you go on your journey you will learn a lot of do's and don't.

I have a hard time ingesting something that you can clean a toilet with. Coke, diet coke products can be used to clean your toilet. That alone should be enough to not make you want to drink soda.
Your body needs clean Water. Water only to survive.
Soda is s chemical Soup.

HW 274 SW 263 GW 125 GASTRIC SLEEVE 7/21/17. Height 5'1"

Yesterday, on the way home from a weekend trip, I was out of Water and asked my BF for a small sip of his Dr. Pepper. I did take a small sip, swished it in my mouth and swallowed. 2 minutes later, the gas was terrible. Not horrible, not post-surgical gas horrible, but it made my tummy full and I was desperate to relieve it. I realized, it is not worth it at all. I remembered that pre-surgery, soda gave me terrible stomach gas and made me feel like crap before I finally stopped it. Now my stomach is so much tinier and again, it's an unpleasant sensation. Why bother? Carbonation, soda = gone.

Now, if they outlawed coffee for the long run, we would have to revolt. Signs, torches, pitchforks.... full on revolt.