Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO Carbonated beverages- FOREVER!

I found this article on another WLS site. It's old but makes sense:

By: Cynthia Buffington, Ph.D

Did you drink carbonated soft drinks prior to your Bariatric surgery? Do you still consume carbonated soft drinks? Were you advised by your surgeon or his/her nutritional staff NOT to drink carbonated drinks after surgery? Do you understand why drinking carbonated beverages, even if sugar-free, could jeopardize your weight loss success and, perhaps even your health?

A carbonated beverage is an effervescent drink that releases carbon dioxide under conditions of normal atmospheric pressure. Carbonated drinks include most soft drinks, champagne, beer, and seltzer Water. If you consume a soft drink or other carbonated beverage while eating, the carbonation forces food through he stomach pouch, reducing the time food remains in the pouch. The less time food remains in your stomach pouch, the less satiety (feelings of fullness) you experience, enabling you to eat more with increased risk for weight gain.

The gas released from a carbonated beverage mat "stretch" your stomach pouch. Food forced through the pouch by the carbonation could also significantly enlarge the size of your stoma (the opening between the stomach pouch and intestines of patients who have had a gastric bypass or biliopancreatic diversion). An enlarged pouch or stoma would allow you to eat larger amounts of food at any one setting. In this way, consuming carbonated beverages, even if the drinks are diet or calorie free, may cause weight gain or interfere with maximal weight loss success.

Soft drinks may also cause weight gain by reducing the absorption of dietary Calcium. Dietary calcium helps to stimulate fat breakdown and reduce its uptake into adipose tissue. Epidemiological and clinical studies have found a close association between obesity and low dietary calcium intake. Recent studies have found that maintaining sufficient amounts of dietary calcium helps to induce weight loss or prevent weight gain following diet.

The high caffeine in carbonated sodas is one way that drinking carbonated soft drinks may reduce the absorption of calcium into the body. Studies have found that caffeine increases urinary calcium content, meaning that high caffeine may interfere with the uptake of dietary calcium into the body. Keep in mind that one 12 oz. can of Mountain Dew has 50 mg of caffeine, and Pepsi and Coke (diet or those with sugar) contain 37 mg of caffeine each.

Colas, such as Pepsi and Coke (diet or with sugar), may also cause calcium deficiencies from the high amounts of phosphoric acid that they contain. Phosphate binds to calcium and the bound calcium cannot be absorbed into the body. Both animal and human studies have found that phosphoric acid is associated with altered calcium homeostasis and low calcium.

Drinking carbonated beverages may also reduce dietary calcium because these beverages replace milk and other nutrient-containing drinks or foods in the diet. Several studies report inverse (negative) relationships between carbonated beverage usage and the amount of milk (particularly children) consume.

Carbonated beverages, then, may reduce dietary calcium because of their high caffeine or phosphoric acid content or because drinking such beverages tends to reduce the consumption of calcium-containing foods and beverages. Such deficiencies in dietary calcium intake may be even more pronounced in Bariatric surgical patients.

Calcium deficiencies with Bariatric surgery have been reported following gastric restrictive and/or malabsorptive procedures. The reduced amounts of calcium with bariatric surgery may occur as a result of low nutrient intake, low levels of Vitamin D, or, for patients who have had gastric bypass pr the biliopancreatic diversion (with or without the duodenal switch), from bypass of the portion of the gut where active absorption of calcium normally occurs. Drinking carbonated beverages may further increase the risk for dietary calcium deficiencies and, in this way, hinder maximal weight loss success.

For all the reasons described above, including calcium deficits, reduced satiety, enlargement of pouch or stoma, drinking carbonated beverages, even those that are sugar-free, could lead to weight gain. Carbonated beverages that contain sugar, however, pose a substantially greater threat to the Bariatric patient in terms of weight loss and weight loss maintenance with surgery.

Sugar-containing soft drinks have a relatively high glycemic index, meaning that blood sugar levels readily increase with their consumption. The rapid rise in blood sugar, in turn, increases the production of the hormone, insulin. , that acts to drive sugar into tissues where it is metabolized or processed for storage. High insulin levels, however, also contribute to fat accumulation, driving fat into the fat storage depots and inhibiting the breakdown of fat.

Soft drinks with sugar are also high in calories. An average 12 oz. soft drink contains 10 teaspoons of refined sugar (40g). The typical 12-oz. can of soda contains 150 calories (Coke = 140 calories; Pepsi = 150; Dr. Pepper = 160; orange soda = 180; 7-up = 140; etc.). Soft drinks are the fifth largest source of calories for adults, accounting for 5.6% of all calories that Americans consume. Among adolescents, soft drinks provide 8%- to 9% of calories. An extra 150 calories per day from a soft drink over the course of a year, is equivalent to nearly 16 pounds and that weight gain multiplied by a few years could equate to “morbid obesity”.

In addition to the adverse effects that carbonated drinks have on weight loss or weight loss maintenance, carbonated beverages may also have adverse effects on health. Soda beverages and other carbonated drinks are acidic with a pH of 3.0 or less. Drinking these acidic beverages on an empty stomach in the absence of food, as Bariatric patients are required to do, can upset the fragile acid-alkaline balance of the gastric pouch and intestines and increase the risk for ulcers or even the risk for gastrointestinal adenomas (cancer).

Soft drink usage has also been found to be associated with various other health problems. These include an increased risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, kidney stones, bone fractures and reduced bone density, allergies, cancer, acid-peptic disease, dental carries, gingivitis, and more. Soft drinks may, in addition, increase the risk for oxidative stress. This condition is believed to contribute significantly to aging and to diseases associated with aging and obesity, i.e. diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, liver disease, reduced immune function, hypertension, and more.

From the above discussion, do you now have a little better understanding of why your Bariatric surgeon or Bariatric nutritionist advised you NOT to consume carbonated sodas after surgery? Your Bariatric surgeon and his/her staff want to see you achieve the best results possible from your surgery – both in terms of weight loss and health status – and so do YOU. Consider the consequences of drinking such beverages now that you understand more clearly why such drinks are “Bariatric taboo”.

That is commentary not science. Science has proven some of what she says isn't true no matter how much sense it makes to you, specifically the stretching part.

I don't know the science behind some of the rest and I know some of it is being studied but is currently inconclusive.

On 6/19/2017 at 2:10 PM, GenJones said:

Are you talking about regular soda, with sugar? Because I drink diet soda and I'm wondering if the "no soda post-surgery" is because of the carbonation or because of the sugar. I certainly wouldn't want to do anything bad for my liver but I really don't know what it is about soda that's bad for WLS patients.

Mainly it's because you have a much smaller space to place nutrients post-surgery. Soda (whether diet or regular) offers absolutely NOTHING in terms of nutrients. You need that little space to be filled with things that will feed your body. In the beginning, the carbonation can hurt your sleeve. The gas expands in your sleeve and with a freshly sewn organ this can certainly be painful.

I'm a little over a year out and haven't had a soda since pre-op. Haven't missed it either. Thought I would but just haven't. If you use that immediate post-op time to develop new eating/drinking habits, you'll be amazed at what you can cut out and just simply not have the taste for after some time without it. Best of luck

On 6/19/2017 at 1:35 PM, Lexington1020 said:

Just curious how people are holding up to this....I do not drink soda often at all. Honestly maybe 1 time a month or if I get sick I would have a sprite to settle my tummy. Now that I am not allowed to have it seems more tempting. Just wondering what others did to satisfy that need. Honestly I would rather have a club soda with lime....yum. I am sad to give up sparkling water...I drink Propel to switch it up. But I am open to other ideas, PLEASE! :)

I had a sleeve 5 1/2 years ago and just had revision to RNY. I stayed away from carbonation for about the first four years. Then I really wanted some diet Squirt. I did buy some and drank one every once in awhile with no problems. I think if you wait awhile like I did and use in moderation it would be OK. Now I am post op from RNY and will have to start my waiting game again!

I thought no carbonated drinks ever until I saw my nut last week. She said at this stage (15 months), that she did not have a problem with certain carbonated drinks without the junk in them. So, per her recommendation I tried Aquafina sparkling mango pineapple in a can. I used a straw and had no issues. It has 2 ingredients - Sparkling Water and natural flavor. 0 calories. It's a nice refreshing change that I am enjoying.

I am 18 months since my surgery and I drink coke zero or diet soda when I get together with my friends on the weekends and we play games. I normally open it, pour it over ice and wait about 5 minutes before drinking it. Nothing wrong with it. Moderation and not during eating.. 30 minutes before or after.

I drink diet soda every day and have zero issues with it.

double post, admin please delete.

Edited by Lord Nikon

For those wondering.. here is the video that debunks drinking carbonation and other myths

Video

Edited by Lord Nikon

I will admit, I tried to drink a sparkling Bai, but I was miserable right after a few sips. No carbonation for this girl, oh the memories. :56_anguished:

On 6/19/2017 at 5:12 PM, Lexington1020 said:

My doctor strictly said NO carbonated beverages period. They feel that it could stretch the pouch. Also not good for you....which is obvious. But if I go through all this and stretch my pouch over a dumb soda I would be mad....this is just me of course. I also am not foolish to think that someday down the road I might have a sip of soda because I do not want to put that burden on myself if I did. But I am going to be strong and resist the urge.

I feel the same way! Im in love with my seltzer but my nurse told me some stories about a few patients stretching their pouches due to it so im too scared to go back..hoping lemon and ice ice ice cold Water will help me. If i do the crystal lite its the pure with stevia not the sucralose (which i think is horrible) but so far thats been helping me alot too! but im with you about the urge!

Aaaaaand no matter how many articles and videos you post stating that carbonation doesn't stretch a sleeve, people still are saying it and believing it.

Fun fact: Things are going to naturally relax and stretch out over time. At about 5 years out, you'll be able to eat a plate of food. So it really doesn't matter what size our stomachs are at that point, but what we are putting in them.

People who solely rely on the size of their stomachs to keep them on the straight and narrow will have a tough road ahead I'm afraid.

Aaaaaand no matter how many articles and videos you post stating that carbonation doesn't stretch a sleeve, people still are saying it and believing it.
Fun fact: Things are going to naturally relax and stretch out over time. At about 5 years out, you'll be able to eat a plate of food. So it really doesn't matter what size our stomachs are at that point, but what we are putting in them.
People who solely rely on the size of their stomachs to keep them on the straight and narrow will have a tough road ahead I'm afraid.

Yeah I sorta roll my eyes on the carbonation stretching thing. I mean seriously?!? It's AIR and not even pressurized air and once healed the stomach is tough tissue. Science says nope, though they did worry in the early days of the sleeve they later proved it wrong.

And yeah it relaxes some over time. Now a full plate? Suppose it depends on the initial size of your sleeve, whether the full fundus was removed, the size of your plate and what's on it.

I'm four years out and still have great restriction. No way could I eat a full plate of food unless it was a small plate and full of Cheeze-it's.

I can definitely eat way more than I could early on, but not a full plate.

2 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Yeah I sorta roll my eyes on the carbonation stretching thing. I mean seriously?!? It's AIR and not even pressurized air and once healed the stomach is tough tissue. Science says nope, though they did worry in the early days of the sleeve they later proved it wrong.

And yeah it relaxes some over time. Now a full plate? Suppose it depends on the initial size of your sleeve, whether the full fundus was removed, the size of your plate and what's on it.

I'm four years out and still have great restriction. No way could I eat a full plate of food unless it was a small plate and full of Cheeze-it's.

I can definitely eat way more than I could early on, but not a full plate.

Okay, full SMALL plate ;)

Okay, full SMALL plate [emoji6]

[emoji23]