Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO Carbonated beverages- FOREVER!

I'm pre-op but I quit cold turkey from my Diet Pepsi addiction over a week ago 😊 It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think I went from milk baby bottles to Diet Pepsi lol. I've started taking daily B12 supplements, I'm drinking Water and allowing myself to sip on one Bai flavored water throughout the day (most days). Stopping was more mental I think. I never was a big water drinker but I figured I better start and get used to it before I started the liquid pre-op portion.

I don't drink carbonated drinks at all. Nor do I drink beverages that contain artificial sweeteners as they lead to weight gain (based on results from many scientific studies) and the chemicals have no nutritional value.

Well crap! Wish I'd known that before I lost my 135lbs using Protein Shakes with artificial sweeteners. SMH

I guess I could stop drinking them now.

Just curious how people are holding up to this....I do not drink soda often at all. Honestly maybe 1 time a month or if I get sick I would have a sprite to settle my tummy. Now that I am not allowed to have it seems more tempting. Just wondering what others did to satisfy that need. Honestly I would rather have a club soda with lime....yum. I am sad to give up sparkling water...I drink Propel to switch it up. But I am open to other ideas, PLEASE! [emoji4]

I tried soda. It fomed out of my mouth almost choking me and gave me gas pain. Bad idea[emoji21]

Sent from my SM-G925V using BariatricPal mobile app

Are you talking about regular soda, with sugar? Because I drink diet soda and I'm wondering if the "no soda post-surgery" is because of the carbonation or because of the sugar. I certainly wouldn't want to do anything bad for my liver but I really don't know what it is about soda that's bad for WLS patients.

It is any carbonated beverage. The bubbles expand once they hit your tummy from the warmth of our bodies and can stretch out your pouch.

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

I was only told to avoid carbonation for 2 or 3 months. I am currently almost 2 years out and drink carbonated beverages whenever I want (which is not often). I can't have more than a few sips of something carbonated because the bubbles make me feel very full. On occasion i do have a few sips of regular sugary soda as a treat and I've still lost weight

Honestly id say try it you'll realize how disgusting it is after not having it for so long. And how awful your stomach feels after

HW 260
SW 245
CW 195
Sleeved 2/8/2017

15 hours ago, Lexington1020 said:

My doctor strictly said NO carbonated beverages period. They feel that it could stretch the pouch. Also not good for you....which is obvious. But if I go through all this and stretch my pouch over a dumb soda I would be mad....this is just me of course. I also am not foolish to think that someday down the road I might have a sip of soda because I do not want to put that burden on myself if I did. But I am going to be strong and resist the urge.

Dsers don't have a pouch. The stretching risk is low with the DS. Carbonated beverages are a no go for me. I'm three years out.

Quit drinking them way before my journey to wls after I saw a documentary (or article, don't remember which) that spelled out all the chemicals that are used to make them. For example, some are made with flame retardant. Seriously? Flame retardant!? Imagine drinking that. It's poison! Terrible stuff that our bodies aren't equipped or supposed to have. So, I cold turkey them. I wasn't a heavy soda drinker anyway, but it just made it easier for me to do away with.

31 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Quit drinking them way before my journey to wls after I saw a documentary (or article, don't remember which) that spelled out all the chemicals that are used to make them. For example, some are made with flame retardant. Seriously? Flame retardant!? Imagine drinking that. It's poison! Terrible stuff that our bodies aren't equipped or supposed to have. So, I cold turkey them. I wasn't a heavy soda drinker anyway, but it just made it easier for me to do away with.

If it was poison people would be literally dying from it, and the companies would be sued out of existence with how much their products are consumed. Brominated vegetable oil is an emulsifier. It's a poison like many other things we consume ONLY if in high concentration. You kinda left out that convenient fact. Cherries and almonds have cyanide.. going to say they're poison? What you just espoused is logic identically used to suggest vaccinations are dangerous. Conspiracies and exaggerations help no one.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I mostly drink unsweetened iced tea, Water, Crystal Light, and milk. I'll have a diet soda once in a while if I'm really craving it but it does hurt my tummy so I open it and let it sit for a few minutes, then sip it slowly. I drink them when I'm not eating, of course.

I think it all depends on the person. I don't miss it too terribly so it's not a big deal for me but some folks are addicted and can't just have one every once in a while. There are just days where I see diet ginger ale or diet orange pop in the fridge and think "that sounds really good" so I'll pour it in a glass and let it sit and then sip it while I do something else.

However, my weakness lies in sweets like brownies, Cookies, cakes, and pies. EASY slider foods. Gotta avoid those at all costs. Everyone is different :) I don't advise anyone indulging in something that will ultimately derail them.

I have had a few Oz of soda since the surgery. I find that the most I can have on an empty stomach is about 4oz. After that I get the uncomfortably full feeling. I try to stay away from it most of the time but will have a few sips when really craving or having a rare cocktail with friends.

I am 8.5 months post op and 130lbs down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app