Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

So I currently work for Kaiser Permanente (however would love to get some input from others who have gone through the process here in the NW specifically). I spoke with April today in the Bariatric group (RN) and she advised to keep loosing as much weight as possible throughout the entire process. I start the Weight Management course next week (via Online). From what I've read, and researched here at work, perfect attendance is not mandatory? Only reason I ask, it presses right up against when I'm off for work, so I'll likely be starting the meeting in my car over Bluetooth until I make it home.

I just want to make sure I don't "loose too much weight" prior to my consult as my BMI is the only thing qualifying me for approval for this program. From what I understand, they go off your BMI at time of submission to the program, not at the time of the consultation. Is there any confirmed truth to that?

April advised that I'm to make contact with her halfway through the Weight Management Class to setup the Orientation appointment. I guess I'm looking to get some confirmed next steps after that Orientation.

* How many additional appointments I'll be looking to make?

* What were the time gaps between appointments? Were they driven by the Provider, or your own schedule?

* Any usual tips/insight I should preemptively be doing now, to avoid frustration and/or hang-up throughout the process? (I have my sleep apnea testing scheduled for July)

* Does the surgeon look for 5% or 10% overall weight loss prior to approval for the surgery?

* Also, I was reading about my "Contract/Commitment" and was curious, is this going to be based upon overall weight loss? Or weight loss from that point, moving forward?

Thank again for any insight/help! Congrats to all of you for taking a step to finally overcome this relentless battle! I'm finally taking a step to hold myself accountable from myself to make sure I'm around for my daughter :)

Hi, my name is Lori and I live in the NW going through Kaiser's Bariatric program. I started last September with the Weight Management Class and am now meeting with my surgeon tomorrow for a pre-op appointment. At the orientation they will give you a checklist that you go through, there is no time frame you have to finish, it is based on you and how quickly you get things done. There are 7 steps you have to go through to get your surgery scheduled. I am on step 6!

They use your BMI from the time you are accepted into the program, they encourage you to lose weight but they did not give me any number to lose. They really want you to show them that you are trying, documenting your foods with certain calorie count, and showing that you are trying to exercise. I lost 21 pounds just cutting calories the way they encourage you to. Just show them that you are trying hard so you will be able to follow diet after surgery.

Hope this helps!

Lori

Wsheldon77,

I started the process in November. It feels like each step takes forever but just stick with it and try your best to track and lose along the way. I am on Step 3, meeting with the Nutritionist and Social Worker on July 5th. I'm not sure what the time frame will look like between this appt and my next, but I will keep you posted as I go through each step!
Good luck on your journey and let's keep in touch along the way!
Gael

Hey Lori and Gaely! Thanks for your helpful insight. Congrats to the both of you and I look forward to hearing more about your journeys!

Wsheldon77
Your welcome!
I got a call today and most likely will have surgery in Sept. But, who knows, may be sooner if there is a cancellation. I will keep you and Gael posted!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Lori, that's so exciting! We met with nutritionist and social worker today. We've got our follow up already scheduled for August 30th....I feel like the time between appointments is so long. I'm nervous we won't ever get a surgery date!

How soon did you meet with the surgeon after your follow up with the Nut/Social worker?

Hoping to get this surgery before my deductible rolls over in November!

Hi there! I'm in WA state and have Kaiser insurance. I had to do my sleep study, then wear my cpap for 6 weeks. Not sure if that was required by my surgeon or insurance. I was not required to do any supervised weightloss thankfully! My big delay was the cpap. Then a blood draw, psych eval and gallbladder ultrasound and they submitted. They approved in about 2 days after submitting everything. Good luck!![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi there! I'm in WA state and have Kaiser insurance. I had to do my sleep study, then wear my cpap for 6 weeks. Not sure if that was required by my surgeon or insurance. I was not required to do any supervised weightloss thankfully! My big delay was the cpap. Then a blood draw, psych eval and gallbladder ultrasound and they submitted. They approved in about 2 days after submitting everything. Good luck!![emoji6]

P.s. surgery is August 16th!!!!!

Lori, that's so exciting! We met with nutritionist and social worker today. We've got our follow up already scheduled for August 30th....I feel like the time between appointments is so long. I'm nervous we won't ever get a surgery date!

How soon did you meet with the surgeon after your follow up with the Nut/Social worker?

Hoping to get this surgery before my deductible rolls over in November!

P.s. surgery is August 16th!!!!!

I had my Pre-op class today, start 2 wk liquid diet on 8/29, then surgery 9/12! I am really excited, not as nervous, but worried I will get too grouchy with my Pre-op liquid diet lol! I have even asked to have these 2 weeks off work to concentrate on my diet without the stress of work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Ugh, I start my pre-op liquid diet tomorrow, so nervous!
Hope things go well and with no low blood sugars. I know it will be worth it in the long run. Lost 5 pounds since surgical consult in June as went to my last pre op clinic appt. Last week:)

I had my Pre-op class today, start 2 wk liquid diet on 8/29, then surgery 9/12! I am really excited, not as nervous, but worried I will get too grouchy with my Pre-op liquid diet lol! I have even asked to have these 2 weeks off work to concentrate on my diet without the stress of work.