Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this much vomiting normal?

My Dr says yes and it will take time to adjust. I've always been a puker but this is excessive. One day a half of a Breakfast sandwich on a bagel thin is fine. Today I'm sick after two bites. Saturday I was sick all night after a few bites of plain grilled chicken. Week three I was sick after almost every solid. I'm glad it's calmed down six weeks out but I'm having trouble getting my nutrients in. Thoughts?

I can't help you. I haven't vomited once since my surgery. I wasn't allowed solids until 31 days out from my surgery.

I haven't vomited at all since GB surgery. Nor was I allowed solid food until 4 weeks post-op. Your experience thus far is troubling. Are you taking very small bites and chewing your food more than normal?

I haven't vomited at all since GB surgery. Nor was I allowed solid food until 4 weeks post-op. Your experience thus far is troubling. Are you taking very small bites and chewing your food more than normal?

I think so. Maybe I'm eating too fast. It doesn't happen daily but in the past 7 days I've thrown up a meal three times.

I have been on solids since day 4, as per my program. I have puked 3 times, and I'm 12 weeks post op. Once was because I didn't chew the bit well enough. I have to chew everything until it's like puree in my mouth. The other two times was because my stomach was not ready to get of Nexium.

It's very important that you keep the Water times. I have to drink 10-15min before I eat, just to clean out my stomach so to speak. And then I have to wait 30 min after. Chew your food very good, and take your time eating. But no longer than 20min.

I've gotten sick a few times. The first few times I hadn't learned my "you're full" signals. The other times I didn't chew well enough. Yesterday's a good example. I had gone several weeks without getting sick, but yesterday at lunch I swallowed a piece of pork loin that wasn't well chewed. As soon as I'd swallowed, I knew it was a mistake. Sure enough, I got sick a while later.

I'm learning that it's very important to chew well, especially for meat. The grilled chicken you mentioned is a good example. For some people, dry grilled meat is really hard to get down. Chicken's healthy, but grilling it dries it out. I'd just take time to chew better and be extra careful if the meat is really dense or dry. Hope you're feeling better soon!

if slowing down with your eating doesn't help, call your surgeon. It could be a stricture. I had one at four weeks out and a second one at eight weeks out.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:47 AM, Maxthecat said:

My Dr says yes and it will take time to adjust. I've always been a puker but this is excessive. One day a half of a Breakfast sandwich on a bagel thin is fine. Today I'm sick after two bites. Saturday I was sick all night after a few bites of plain grilled chicken. Week three I was sick after almost every solid. I'm glad it's calmed down six weeks out but I'm having trouble getting my nutrients in. Thoughts?

Do you have a dietician at your doctor? It takes 12 weeks for either your staple line or stitches to heal and bread is normally not allowed until then because it swells and can get into your stitch line. Even some meats are not allowed until 12 weeks. Your pouch cannot handle a lot of dense food yet until it is healed. IMO you need to cut back to more soft foods and see if that helps. Good luck!

Edited by SleeveDreamer

Do you have a dietician at your doctor? It takes 12 weeks for either your staple line or stitches to heal and bread is normally not allowed until then because it swells and can get into your stitch line. Even some meats are not allowed until 12 weeks. Your pouch cannot handle a lot of dense food yet until it is healed. IMO you need to cut back to more soft foods and see if that helps. Good luck!

Bread is approved on my meal plan, however I limit it a lot. More often than not I get sick on dense Protein. This week has been better. I haven't gotten sick since Tuesday and feel overall better. I'm taking more time to eat and chewing better.