Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm one month post-op and I've been on the best behavior when it comes to my diet. Calculating, measuring, logging, all that good stuff. Today, I started a new job and went to my new hire orientation. Breakfast was served and unfortunately all they had were Bagels. I was sad. I ended up rushing out of my house this morning because I wanted to make sure I wasn't late and all I was only able to grab my RTD Protein Shake. Three hours into my orientation I started feeling woozy and that's my usual sign that I need to eat something. I still had 2 more hours until lunch so I ended up grabbing one side of a bagel with a small amount of cream cheese and took about 4-5 bites. The last bite felt like it was ripping through my esophagus and I started panicking. I ran to the bathroom and stuck my finger down my throat to see if the piece of bagel would come out because it felt stuck. I started to cry and freaked out in the stall. I waited a few minutes and walked back to my seat. I tried so hard to keep my cool. After a few minutes I sipped Water and now I'm pretty okay. I just feel like I have a piece of bagel stuck in my stomach and feel like complete ****. I'm so upset with myself I'm literally crying as I type this. d**k move. I am cleared to eat pretty much anything based off my surgeon and nutritionist but to be extremely careful. Always eat Protein and veggies and stay away from starch as best as I can. Toasted bread is ok, this bagel wasn't toasted and I didn't even take the guts of the bagel out. I feel like an absolute failure right now.

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. You were feeling woozy and needed a few bites of something. The bagel was not the best choice, but that's all you had and you can't really blame yourself for eating it. You needed something in your stomach. I definitely know what it's like to feel woozy when I go too long without eating since my surgery 6 months ago. I honestly do not think you did anything wrong at all and I don't think you were bad for eating it.

Now that it's done and over with, just be prepared for the future, in case a situation comes up similar to that again. Maybe pack a bag that you can keep at your office. Some Snacks that you will have plenty of in case you forget them when you leave home in the morning. Perhaps some almonds, some decent Protein Bars, maybe some parm crisps. That way if you are in a rush in the morning, the bag of snacks is already at the office.

I am sorry you got sick and felt bad, but again, it's okay.

Hope you're feeling better!! Any dry kinds of food will feel that way, I totally agree with having something packed in your bag or desk for emergencies. Also if you really have to make sure you chew on it until its applesauce type of consistency so it won't be hard going down. But that's if it's absolutely necessary [emoji5]

I'm one month post-op and I've been on the best behavior when it comes to my diet. Calculating, measuring, logging, all that good stuff. Today, I started a new job and went to my new hire orientation. Breakfast was served and unfortunately all they had were Bagels. I was sad. I ended up rushing out of my house this morning because I wanted to make sure I wasn't late and all I was only able to grab my RTD Protein Shake. Three hours into my orientation I started feeling woozy and that's my usual sign that I need to eat something. I still had 2 more hours until lunch so I ended up grabbing one side of a bagel with a small amount of cream cheese and took about 4-5 bites. The last bite felt like it was ripping through my esophagus and I started panicking. I ran to the bathroom and stuck my finger down my throat to see if the piece of bagel would come out because it felt stuck. I started to cry and freaked out in the stall. I waited a few minutes and walked back to my seat. I tried so hard to keep my cool. After a few minutes I sipped Water and now I'm pretty okay. I just feel like I have a piece of bagel stuck in my stomach and feel like complete ****. I'm so upset with myself I'm literally crying as I type this. d**k move. I am cleared to eat pretty much anything based off my surgeon and nutritionist but to be extremely careful. Always eat Protein and veggies and stay away from starch as best as I can. Toasted bread is ok, this bagel wasn't toasted and I didn't even take the guts of the bagel out. I feel like an absolute failure right now.

First days are tough to start with! You did the best you could and made it through! I hope day two is better for you🤞

First months are difficult. We learn these hard lessons and they are scary at times. Good luck, you will be OK!

Thank you everyone!!! That was the first time I ever experienced that kind of pain/feeling while eating. I thought I was tearing something inside. Scariest experience ever! [emoji30]

Glad you're ok (and I bet you won't eat a bagel again!) and congrats on the new job.

I've learned the hard way too that I need to really plan out each day - what I'll eat and when. I always have a snack in my purse. Nuts or a Protein Bar travel well. And I keep a water bottle in the car.

Bagels used to sit on my stomach like a brick pre-op. I'd be terrified to try one now.

You learned a hard lesson. Keep something with you to eat at all time, Protein bar, nuts, protein chips. Something.

I have to eat pretty often and I always keep something in my purse. I can eat pretty much anything, but there are lots of times you get trapped some place with no good options. Just make sure you always have a good option on you.

Glad you're ok (and I bet you won't eat a bagel again!) and congrats on the new job.
I've learned the hard way too that I need to really plan out each day - what I'll eat and when. I always have a snack in my purse. Nuts or a Protein bar travel well. And I keep a Water bottle in the car.

I def packed Snacks for my second day haha! Never want to experience that again!

Bagels used to sit on my stomach like a brick pre-op. I'd be terrified to try one now.
You learned a hard lesson. Keep something with you to eat at all time, Protein bar, nuts, protein chips. Something.
I have to eat pretty often and I always keep something in my purse. I can eat pretty much anything, but there are lots of times you get trapped some place with no good options. Just make sure you always have a good option on you.

Omg that was so painful and scary [emoji22]

Don't beat yourself up and be so hard on yourself. You just have to move forward. Life gets crazy sometimes and there have been times I have to just eat what's available. I always try and plan ahead like everyone else said but with two toddlers and a full time job I've ran out of the house without my bag a few times. One day I went to a training where they were providing lunch that was supposed to be subs, I planned to eat just the meat, but they ordered pizza instead. I had to take what I had and adapt ( I took a small thin slice, dabbed the grease, took a couple bites and then finished the toppings. I try and keep healthy snack options in my desk and even my car in case I need them.

You are being way too hard on yourself but good to own up on mistakes. We all have and will make them. I've found this to be an exploratory journey and learning how/what to eat again.

I was working sucking on an apple sauce pouch and ate it in like 5 minutes, 3.5oz, didn't think anything of it but then my stomach got super full after 15 minutes and I had to keep spitting in my trash can to avoid vomitting (TMI).

I know I'll never do that again!

BTW - congrats on the new job!

Please take a deep breath and relax, we are all going to go through certain things with this wls. We always have a way to learn from our mistakes. Sounds like you realized the mistake and you won't do it again, wishing you the best on the rest of your journey.[emoji106]

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app