Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

So I had my RNY on Tuesday & I want to tell my experience so far!

I arrived at the hospital around 8:00 Tuesday morning & got all signed in. When they took me back to the pre-op area I was surprisingly calm. I think I felt this way because after 10 years of battling my weight, I know that this was it. I was finally going to be given the tools to be successful. No more exercising and dieting and not losing weight! My pulse was high for like 2 minutes only because they decided to take it when I got my Iv in, and IV needles freak me out haha. My family was brought back (mom, dad, boyfriend and 6 year old wild child brother). After waiting for about an hour and a half, the anesthesiologist came back and asked me Health-related questions. He examined my airway & assured me that I had very low risks for complications. Then my surgeon came back and introduced himself to my family. The surgery he performed ahead of me took longer than anticipated so mine was pushed back about 30 minutes. My mom, dad and brother went out to the waiting room while my boyfriend stayed until it was time for me to go back for surgery. The nurses came back and gave me my "cocktail" & then wheeled me back to the OR. While I was waiting in the hallway to go to the OR the cocktail hit & I started laughing because it felt like I had drank 2 bottles of wine [emoji23] I was taken into the OR & had to move to the operating bed. The last thing I remember was them strapping my arms down & then waking up in recovery (I thought I was up immediately but apparently I was sleeping for about 2 hours).

When I woke up, my face was itching like crazy & the nurse told me I was probably having a reaction to the narcotics. She gave me Benedryl & within a minute I was fine. I was taken up to my room where I slept on and off all night. It was weird because I was never in a deep sleep the entire time, so I could hear every conversation going on around me but I couldn't open my eyes haha. I wasn't in any pain at all the first day.

The next day I had a few friends and family members visit. I had to pump myself up for getting my catheter removed. For some reason I was more scared of that than I was of the actual surgery. But it didn't hurt at all. They stopped my pain pump & had me walk laps all day. The gas pain was building as the day went on (seriously I read so much about the gas pain but nothing could have prepared me for it!)

I was only nauseous 3 times: the first 2 times I walked & then when I took my liquid pain meds and wasn't sitting up completely. But the nausea lasted 20 seconds and then I was fine. The nurses told me I was a champ because I was handling recovery so well and walked way more than was expected of me.

I got to go home Thursday & so far it's been a lot easier than I thought it would be. Getting Water in is really hard because my pouch is still so swollen & I'm full after a few sips. I sleep about 11 hours at night & take a nap during the day. Really the hardest part for me is getting out of bed [emoji23] it feels like I did ab day at the gym every day for a week. But other than that I think I lucked out. I blame it on my age & the fact that obesity is my only health issue.

Shaines9,LL

I, too, had my RNY on Tuesday, May 30th at 8:00AM at Howard University in Washington, DC. The surgeon was impressed with my recovery, etc., and released from hospital the next day around 6:00PM. My pain is very minimal as if I didn't have surgery. I started walking the same evening after surgery and have been walking ever since.

I'm 48 years old, soon to be 49 years old September 11th. Hubby and walked around cul de sac yesterday evening and walked a few lapses at the track this morning. Then, rode around in our new ride running errands. I AM TRULY BLESSED AND FAVORED TO BE HEALING SO WELL. I have my one week follow-up appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday, June 7th at 1:00PM.

I'm focusing on drinking 2 Premier Protein (30g) shakes, Water, and sugar free pudding per day -- thus far, NO ISSUES -- Praise God.

TeResa

Shaines9,LL
I, too, had my RNY on Tuesday, May 30th at 8:00AM at Howard University in Washington, DC. The surgeon was impressed with my recovery, etc., and released from hospital the next day around 6:00PM. My pain is very minimal as if I didn't have surgery. I started walking the same evening after surgery and have been walking ever since.
I'm 48 years old, soon to be 49 years old September 11th. Hubby and walked around cul de sac yesterday evening and walked a few lapses at the track this morning. Then, rode around in our new ride running errands. I AM TRULY BLESSED AND FAVORED TO BE HEALING SO WELL. I have my one week follow-up appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday, June 7th at 1:00PM.
I'm focusing on drinking 2 Premier Protein (30g) shakes, Water, and sugar free pudding per day -- thus far, NO ISSUES -- Praise God.
TeResa

That's wonderful to hear! Walking is easy for me too! It's just getting out of bed/ getting off of the couch that is giving me a little trouble!

Congratulation to both of you. ;-):rolleyes:B):lol:B):P:)

This is giving me hope that recovery will be easy. I just received my approval but no date set yet and I am soooo nervous. Ive never had surgery or a hospital stay before. People I kno that have had the surgery tell me I will be fine but Im still so nervous.

Ashleey,

I was nervous too; however, my faith in God was stronger than my own fears!! SAY A PRAYER AND LEAVE IT IN GOD'S HANDS. We can't stop the inevitable. Regardless of the circumstances, what's going to happen is already written, so don't let your anxieties and fears get the best of you. God will not put no more on you than you can bear!!

I AM PRAYING FOR YOU AND EVERYBODY ELSE.

This is giving me hope that recovery will be easy. I just received my approval but no date set yet and I am soooo nervous. Ive never had surgery or a hospital stay before. People I kno that have had the surgery tell me I will be fine but Im still so nervous.

I had never had surgery before either so I didn't really know what to expect. The best advice I can give you is to stock up on gas x chewables or mylanta chewables. That made me finally start passing the gas a few hours after having them. The gas pressure is no joke! And walk, walk, walk!

Thank u both. And I will definitely stock up on both! Thank u!

I know how you feel being so nervous...! I am too, especially since I am 67 yo. My surgery date is set for July 5 to have my Lapband removed and a revision to gastric bypass. I've had the Lapband almost 6 years and it has caused a lot of problems and has to come out. I don't want to regain the weight, so...

Thanks for the stories ladies! I started my liver shrinking diet today and am having RNY in exactly two weeks!

Thanks for the stories ladies! I started my liver shrinking diet today and am having RNY in exactly two weeks!

My RNY is June 28th. I hope you are doing well.

What does RNY stand for? I had the Bypass and was wondering if it's the same thing?

The RNY ( Roux-en-Y )is when they cut part of stomach off and rerouted to the small intestine .